• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lets say it all together, lol, P-O-C-O-N-O - P-A-V-E-M-E-N-T. That' what it was today :roflmao: Cord that you couldn't cut with a Ginsu knife.

IMG_0632.JPG

But even though I miss judged the temperature up at the mountain it was a beautiful day to be outside and to practice for up coming adventures. Result was I plucked down a grand to renew the season pass ( a $200 saving over the last at least couple of years) with 1st tracks.

Couple of things. Good job Camelback management keeping the moguls up even though they were not in play today. Keep em up cause warmer weather is on the way. Base looks good should be a good March for the hill.

Welcome aboard PhilaMC and join my crusade. #savethethirstycamel. (Hello Camelback management).

IMG_0635.JPG

Puggers. I will only be around a limited time in March, but one day I will be in town and would love to be up at the mountain is Tuesday March 17th (aka St Paddy's day) Camelback get together??

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
...this season I think the lift lines have been a bigger issue than the crowds on the slopes on days when the mountain is crowded.

Shades of Elk: Camelback is removing any posts remotely critical from their FB page. Nothing more shocking than censorship.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fair opinion but this season I think the lift lines have been a bigger issue than the crowds on the slopes on days when the mountain is crowded. The weather forecasts have kept the crowds down on a lot of the weekends though, especially early in the season. I guess I feel I can't complain about better lift capacity if I am grousing every week about lifts that aren't running.
Limited lift capacity= longer lines and less people on the slopes. When you increase lift capacity, you shorten the lines (for a while) while increasing the traffic on the slopes. I've been skiing the Poconos for over 40 years, and I have seen this happen over and over.

PhilaMC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Limited lift capacity= longer lines and less people on the slopes. When you increase lift capacity, you shorten the lines (for a while) while increasing the traffic on the slopes. I've been skiing the Poconos for over 40 years, and I have seen this happen over and over.

I hear ya. I guess I'm trying to be optimistic and also thinking we are only talking about adding two seats as the quad would replace the capacity of Cleo and Marc with more efficient capacity. I have also been hearing that some of the other older lifts could come out in this process. We'll see.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier

Great perspective -- I think a six-pack replacing Sullivan, and even a high-speed quad replacing the Marc and Cleo lifts, are probably just what you're talking about. Frankly, that rumor doesn't really have the ring of truth if we're to believe our lying eyes -- when a former multi-year snowboard instructor tells me by the fire at Trailside she didn't return this year because they wanted to pay her less, when they won't run the Marc on MLK and President's Day weekends despite horrible crowding at Stevenson and Sullivan, that's not a company that's about to drop that kind of money into improvements.

However, having that mid-mountain fixed grip (Marc) running on busy days was a nice sweet spot that had balance with your algorithm -- it didn't flood the slopes with traffic.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cleo bumps have been up for a while. None on Rodo, but there are some on Marjies. Just leave them up for the warmer weather and I'll be happy Yesterday the mountain was frozen up solid, but the snow making boys were out moving hoses to refresh.

I'm with you, get those Rodo bumps up. They can be so easily refreshed with those oscillating fan guns.
IMG_3322.JPG

Hello Camelback Management

#savethethirstycamel

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really hope they don't eliminate the Thirsty Camel. That would be incredibly disappointing.

#savethethirstycamel

On the upside, one of the latest rumors I heard while heading up on the Sullivan was that the Sullivan 4 chair should be getting upgraded to a 6 chair and that another high speed quad should go in mid mountain to replace the Marc and Cleo lifts or at least render them obsolete. The source also made mention that there may be some sort of lift put in that runs from the hotel or Stevenson area up to CBK and then along to the base area. None of this is corroborated by Camelback but the source SEEMED pretty in the know. A change I can confirm based on an email from Camelback is that there will be exclusive Super Pass lift lines in 2021 and a Super Pass includes 3 "bring a friend tickets". I'm not sure if the "bring a friend tickets" are only for those that renew their passes before 3/1 or not but both are welcome additions to the list of perks.

My understanding is similar, I've heard both Sullivan and Stevenson to sixes. Hopefully a lift up the middle, and a lift that would service between the Hotel and Base Area. Bailey, Marc Cleo, gone. Raceway and Glen scheduled for removal as well and I assume something to take their place. Agree that management has been pretty mum on plans including if it will be going on Ikon or not. Interesting bit about the passes had not heard that but just re-upped my superpass for $100 less so not totally unhappy right now.

PhilaMC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
#savethethirstycamel

My understanding is similar, I've heard both Sullivan and Stevenson to sixes. Hopefully a lift up the middle, and a lift that would service between the Hotel and Base Area. Bailey, Marc Cleo, gone. Raceway and Glen scheduled for removal as well and I assume something to take their place. Agree that management has been pretty mum on plans including if it will be going on Ikon or not. Interesting bit about the passes had not heard that but just re-upped my superpass for $100 less so not totally unhappy right now.

Did you get the three "bring a friend tickets"? Supposedly you only get them if you do re-up before 3/1 but that means you should have.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Not sure if it will look good on the other end, but snagged a cool shot of stars (specs of dust in top left) with Elk in the background tonight w/ my iPhone.

Way clearer than most nights up here tonight. Have a good weekend all... make sure to drop a layer.

image0.jpeg

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
last nite at blue was treacherous conditions. the entire mtn was a sheet of bullet-proof ice. temps were dropping, so they were blowing snow like crazy....and that helped out a bit with safety on the trails.

it was the last nite of the adult racing clinic, and they set up a nice little slalom course on widowmaker. had i bothered to sharpen my edges i would have enjoyed it, but instead i was slip-sliding all nite long. i called it early b/c i just didn't feel safe on my skis on that surface, and i wasn't the only person to head in early.

après was guinness and chix pot pie.

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Anyone have any idea why Camelback has Basilisk rated as a double black? Even a single black would be a stretch.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well it used to be the path of the alpine slide. I havent been there since they opened the trail but it's probably narrow and twisty-turny

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Well it used to be the path of the alpine slide. I havent been there since they opened the trail but it's probably narrow and twisty-turny

Yeah...I remember going over that decaying alpine slide on the lift for years! It’s definitely twisty (I skied it today a few times) but for the life of me I can’t figure out why they have it as a double black—a decent intermediate would have little trouble with it. I could see maybe a single black because it is narrow, but definitely not a double!

The hardest part of the run for someone would be getting to it through the top part of Rocket! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online