• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, it's relative to the rest of the trails. I skied at Big Bear for the first time a few weeks ago, their blacks would blues at most places, their double black maybe a difficult blue. All relative...

Arcane

Booting up
Skier
Yep..that's what I was comparing it to. Relative to their other blacks, it's far easier. If you get a chance to go to CBK this year, you'll see what I mean! :)

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
it was back-to-back ski days for me this weekend. saturday met up with a couple of college buddies at montage, and sunday raced nastar at bear creek with @tinymoose and 3 other peeps from our blue mtn adult racing clinic.

saturday was lots of fun. montage was blowing snow all day long, and the north face was skiing very nicely. boomer had some nice soft bumps going, and white lightning super tasty. i dabbled in the WL trees and they were in good shape as well.

sunday was really fun, except for the massive amount of ppl running the nastar course. i believe it was the bear creek race team's last day for the season, so all the kiddos were racing their coaches and/or parents (bc runs a dual course setup). poor line management lead to a very long wait, so we complained and things got resolved. it was our first time racing the nastar at bc, and we both really enjoyed the course there.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Me too...one of my favorites because people avoided it like the plague, so the snow was usually good when the rest of the runs were boilerplate

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Montage was a ghost town yesterday. Conditions were very nice except for some rocks being exposed on the lowest part of the mountain. And early afternoon, the snow they blew overnight turned into flypaper..I almost went over the handlebars on lower Smoke. By the time I left at 2 pm, the base area was soup.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Montage was a ghost town yesterday. Conditions were very nice except for some rocks being exposed on the lowest part of the mountain. And early afternoon, the snow they blew overnight turned into flypaper..I almost went over the handlebars on lower Smoke. By the time I left at 2 pm, the base area was soup.

white lightning was in great shape yesterday. apparently they were able to blow snow on it saturday nite.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a blast at Camelback Sunday after flying in from Colorado the night before. Started out real interesting with some spots that were down right dangerous (a Pocono right of passage) with the cold morning but softened up nice in the early afternoon.

IMG_1108.JPG
Uncle Bills with seeded bumps

IMG_1114.JPG

Same with Marjies (they took longer to thaw though)

Lower Cleo has a line too. Decent bump day with sun and good practice for Trip #2 out west coming a week from tomorrow.

Some good après on the deck.

IMG_1119.JPG

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those bumps are looking like what I saw at Blue a couple years ago, kinda space apart a bit too much to get a good rhythm

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those bumps are looking like what I saw at Blue a couple years ago, kinda space apart a bit too much to get a good rhythm

Disagree, coming out of Colorado and some real nice bump skiing (think Mary Jane at Winter Park) I think they are a little tight and slow. Would like to see some better spacing for more speed. But Its Camelback and any bumps to practice on are very appreciated. Still think they should be on Rodo.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm...well, if you make that comparison to MJ, then looks must be deceiving LOL Unfortunately with the way the weather is shaping up, I probably wont have a chance to sample the goods...I think I may be done for the season around here.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just got an announcement email from Camelback, they are shutting down the entire resort at 4 pm tomorrow, tentatively reopening April 2. Ski season is done. I think they were the last hold-out in the area.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pocono season overall was a pretty tough one. I got my 20+ days at Camelback, which I expected. Think the resort did fairly well with the hand they were dealt. They scratched and clawed and once again they did reach 100% as they have every year that I have been a pass holder there. While many days (especially early) were strictly, groomer days they showed some willingness to seed a couple of bump runs down the stretch which was appreciated. Still think they should do Rodo next season. Concern for the Thirsty Camel as that would be a loss to me but interested to see some of the updates and changes I've heard about.

Going into dry land training mode for the summer (running, biking and hills) and hope to augment that with some 2 hour sessions a couple of times a month at the indoor slope down at the Meadowlands. It will be interesting to see if my goal of keeping some ski muscles "in tune" works out and make the early season next year better.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
22 days in at Elk. Definitely got my value out of the pass. I, too, have to tip my hat to them for the excellent conditions they provided despite the lack of really any natural snow. Sounds like all the resorts in the area did the very best they could under the circumstances.

Perhaps we'll have an actual winter next year? Only time will tell. Have a great offseason, all!

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
"and hope to augment that with some 2 hour sessions a couple of times a month at the indoor slope down at the Meadowlands "

Would be interested to hear if it's even worthwhile to bother going there. It looked to me that there's quite a schlep from parking, could be a PIA in the summer with a full load of gear

Status
Not open for further replies.