• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.32.36 AM.png
We are going to be seeing a lot from Liberty in the coming season with its new V-Series VMT skis; the focus here will be the new 92mm version. DPS has an all-new ski that shares some DNA with the Liberty, since they both come out of the same facility. In today's age of shared manufacturing, it is more common than you might think -- hell, we could do a year's worth of Cage Matches on skis that share factories or some other heritage.

Let's start with DPS’s all-new Foundation Cassiar 94, which has been in our test fleet since last season; read the long-term review HERE. The 94 was a huge upgrade from the outgoing 95 model in that it is much more powerful and connected than the previous Cassiar, which did have a top end. The 94 will take whatever you give it yet does not demand 100% of your attention.

Liberty is making the transformation to full-line ski company. IMHO it got tired of being labeled as just another freeride brand and felt it was time to put up or shut up -- and putting up it is with the new V-Series VMT skis. The VMT acronym is pretty explanatory, Vertical Metal Technology. The V92 here is a wider hard-snow ski; its elongated sidecut and extended tip profile work great with the vertical metal struts, which give a great balance of pop and dampening.
  • Why choose the Cassiar 94? You are looking for off-piste playfulness and a ski that you want to work and smear through a turn if you choose.
  • Why choose the VMT V92? You want off-piste ability, but high-speed GS turns are really your thing; there aren't a lot of options when it comes to that. You don’t mind being asked repeatedly in the lift line "Liberty?"

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
All of the VMT's are exceptional ski's and I really encourage Pug's to get on any of them at some point this season.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All of the VMT's are exceptional ski's and I really encourage Pug's to get on any of them at some point this season.

Jackson Hogen just sent out his list of "skis of the year." The two skis he called out in the "frontside" category were the MX 84 (no surprise) and the VMT 82 (huge surprise). Interesting.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jackson just sent out his list of "skis of the year." The two skis he called out in the "frontside" category were the MX 84 (no surprise) and the VMT 82 (huge surprise). Interesting.
Why is it a huge surprise? Have you not been reading our reviews? ;) We were singing it's praises back in the Spring. Funny how we get excited about in February become other sites darlings in the Fall. Just remember where you heard it first.

Liberty VMT V82
Dimensions: 129-82-110
Radius: 16.5m@179cm
Sizes: 165, 172, 179, 186
Size tested: 179
Design: All New

@Philpug: (from the V76 review) Hmmm. Where did Liberty come from and when did they get on Pugski's radar? Well, it started last season when a mutual friend of Liberty and I suggested I look at them. While we didn’t have time to get them on the snow then, their finish did look far better than they did in years past. Fast forward to this year, the VMT (Vertical Metal Technology) collection caught our attention because of their shape; then our partners at SkiEssentials.com announced that they were going to carry them, further solidifying their position in our testing rotation.

The VMT’s shape just looked like fun, and any time a manufacturer brings a new flat ski in the low 80's, it draws our attention. The vertical metal additions to the bamboo core increase torsional rigidity and spring to the ski. These are not race skis, but they don’t claim to be, either.
  • Who is it for? For those who miss the Blizzard Latigo or Scott Black Majic, here is a sweet replacement.
  • Who is it not for? Those not open to nonmainstream brands. Your loss.
  • Insider tip: Call Ski Essentials, and order NOW.
@Doug Briggs:I always thought Liberty was just a park and freeride ski company, but this ski changed my mind, big time. The 82 is stable and right at home making turns of all sizes. A real eye-opener.
  • Who is it for? Someone looking for a nice all-around performer.
  • Who is it not for? The biggest of chargers.
  • Insider tip: Yes, the accolades are true.
@Drahtguy Kevin (179): From tip to tail, this ski is a winner. This ski is smooth and easy just like its skinnier little brother. Multiple turn shapes are simple and secure. High-speed cruising is a delight, and the silky feel makes you want to extend your day.
  • Who is it for? Want to fill the midsection of your quiver? Here you go.
  • Who is it not for? People scared of change. Liberty is upping its game.
  • Insider tip: Check out the base structure on these babies.
@Andy Mink (172): Much like its narrower sibling, the VMT 82 is a very solid, very fun ski. It wants you to enjoy doing what you want to do. What it gives up in edge-to-edge quickness to the 76 (which isn't much!), it gives back with a little more capability in softer, chunkier, or other sometimes more challenging conditions. Even though there is only 6mm difference under foot, it makes enough difference to notice. Can't decide? Get them both!
  • Who is it for? The intermediate to advanced skier looking for a bit wider narrow ski for the bottom end of the quiver.
  • Who is it not for? A stronger, heavier skier may overpower this ski, but I doubt it.
  • Intermediate tip: If you like the VTM 76 but may need a bit more float for those light powder on groomer days, this may be the ski for you.

@Ron (179): Liberty has been around for quite some time but, I have to admit, never on my radar. The Colorado-based brand just seemed too newschool freeskier to me. I was wrong. New for 2019, Liberty's new Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) stacks metal vertically in the ski, which is, if I am correct, a first. I first got on the VMT and was less than enamored, but after Phil discussed the tune with the national sales rep, they quickly prepped another pair for us to try. I mention this because Liberty cared about its skis where, sadly, others don't. That tells you something about the brand and the people behind it. Upon the re-test, I found the V82 to be a blast. The VMT has a feel that is very damp and connected to the snow. It engages very well and holds the turn consistently, without you having to steer or correct its path. At the same time, you can break the turn and go right into short- and medium-radius turns. This is a versatile ski that has a fun, energetic ride to it. I was quite surprised by this ski; it is another I could own.
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking for a versatile frontside carver that can dabble off piste, and who like a more damp feel with some pop and energy; early adopters.
  • Who is it not for? Those looking for a wide carver with race chops.
  • Insider tip: Don't overlook this brand! See www.skiessentials.com.

Reactions: Ron

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pugski.com...ahead of the curve! Again.

Reactions: Ron

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why is it a huge surprise? Have you not been reading our reviews? ;) We were singing it's praises back in the Spring. Funny how we get excited about in February become other sites darlings in the Fall. Just remember where you heard it first.

Jeez. Y'all can just put down the defensiveness paddles now; no one is forgetting your early call on this.

My comment was rooted in the long history of RealSkiers - in both the Keelty and Hogen eras - as having strong conservative tendencies, favoring old-school skis from old-school brands. With that in mind, and given that Liberty has a distinctly new school reputation, I thought it was very interesting that Hogen jumped onto the bandwagon with the first model year of the VMT.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Really interested to see how the use of "vertical" materials gets used over the next few years. Laminating things in between pieces of the wood core is a novel approach. To my knowledge, Liberty is the only maker doing this with metal? Which means they have a unique supplier for cores.

The backcountry world is seeing similar progress with "vertical" materials, particularly flax. BCore now makes an ultralight core with vertical flax strips which supposedly reduces carbon's pingy feeling and shaves weight. A number of manufacturers using it are getting high reviews.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jeez. Y'all can just put down the defensiveness paddles now; no one is forgetting your early call on this.

My comment was rooted in the long history of RealSkiers - in both the Keelty and Hogen eras - as having strong conservative tendencies, favoring old-school skis from old-school brands. With that in mind, and given that Liberty has a distinctly new school reputation, I thought it was very interesting that Hogen jumped onto the bandwagon with the first model year of the VMT.
Actually going back to the Kelty era, he had the Ski Logic Ullr's Chariot as Ski of the Year which was completely subjective because the Kastles at the time were their first skis to get perfect scores. But it is funny how we write something and then we are seeing a regurgitation version somewhere else after..I guess copying what we do is the best complement ;)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

this is moslty true for sure. IIRC, everyone thought he was being paid by Head :) But at that time, there really weren't many indie brands, and those were Icelantic and moment and praxis for the most part. None of them were putting out any groomer focused ski's. the VMT got A LOT of attention at SIA and rightly so. I called the 82 a Poor mans Laser AX.

Sponsor