• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Quick question before I pull the trigger on some new Heads: Between the Rally and Titan - in a 163, am I really going to be able to tell the difference?

I have read all the reviews, here, PSIA, looked them over in the shop - If you buy some Titans from Pepi's, and there's a little drool on them, sorry. I just can't seem to make a decision between the two. FYI: I am looking for the one that is going to give me the most utility - a Swiss Army knife of sorts.

About Me: 44 yr old male. Vail local, skiing Vail/BC 100+ days a season. Part-time Instructor. Have powder skis - Icelantic Nomad 115's. This would be my first "real" ski in 20+ years. This would round out a 2 ski quiver. Like I said, looking for the proverbial Swiss Army knife.

Thanks!

I went for the Titan specifically because I felt it had more versatility for varied local conditions where we can get all seasons in one day. Just felt that bit more 'robust' and able to deal with chopped up crud/slush/pow more readily than the Rally. It's also the kind of ski where you don't need to be all over it all the time. Felt it had reasonable foregiveness.

The other reason was it suited my preference for slightly longer radius turns, though they are no slouches when you really work them hard for shorter radius.

The Titans and Bonafides are the staples of my quiver. A perfect couple for my needs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I went for the Titan specifically because I felt it had more versatility for varied local conditions where we can get all seasons in one day. Just felt that bit more 'robust' and able to deal with chopped up crud/slush/pow more readily than the Rally. It's also the kind of ski where you don't need to be all over it all the time. Felt it had reasonable foregiveness.

The other reason was it suited my preference for slightly longer radius turns, though they are no slouches when you really work them hard for shorter radius.

The Titans and Bonafides are the staples of my quiver. A perfect couple for my needs.
In a 163? I like the iTitan (and iRally) as much as anyone but when you get to the book end sizes they can get disproportionate in sizing and performance.

Hypergruv

"Suck At the Highest Level"
Skier
Are you looking for the Swiss Army Knife with the magnifying glass, spoon, fork, the chain tool. USB charger and the olive corer? If not, the iRally is better scaled in the 163.

That’s kind of what I have heard, but being in Vail, the 80mm is appealing - 163 Titans are actually 79, I think the Rallys are 75mm in 163. I will be skiing these everywhere - with the exception of deep days in the Back Bowls, and the trees. So yeah, groomers, moguls, chop, crud, even fresh on groomed. Bottom line, if I’m not on my pow skis, I’ll be on these. That was the only reason that made me think Titan over Rally.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s kind of what I have heard, but being in Vail, the 80mm is appealing - 163 Titans are actually 79, I think the Rallys are 75mm in 163. I will be skiing these everywhere - with the exception of deep days in the Back Bowls, and the trees. So yeah, groomers, moguls, chop, crud, even fresh on groomed. Bottom line, if I’m not on my pow skis, I’ll be on these. That was the only reason that made me think Titan over Rally.
What do you weigh?

Hypergruv

Skier

Hypergruv

Skier

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick question before I pull the trigger on some new Heads: Between the Rally and Titan - in a 163, am I really going to be able to tell the difference?

I have read all the reviews, here, PSIA, looked them over in the shop - If you buy some Titans from Pepi's, and there's a little drool on them, sorry. I just can't seem to make a decision between the two. FYI: I am looking for the one that is going to give me the most utility - a Swiss Army knife of sorts.

About Me: 44 yr old male. Vail local, skiing Vail/BC 100+ days a season. Part-time Instructor. Have powder skis - Icelantic Nomad 115's. This would be my first "real" ski in 20+ years. This would round out a 2 ski quiver. Like I said, looking for the proverbial Swiss Army knife.

Thanks!
How hard do you ski? The Rallys are really nice, no doubt. If you're going to use the new skis for instructing and easier kicking around the mountain, you might want to take a peak at the Head V-10. The V-10 is 85 under foot vs. the 79-81 of the Titan and 74-77 of the Rally, depending on length. With your lighter weight the V-10 may be more of a Swiss Army knife than the Titan. The V-series is also noticeably lighter than the Supershape series. If you like the idea of a narrower ski, the V-8 fills that niche at 75. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above; it just depends on what you're looking for.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How hard do you ski? The Rallys are really nice, no doubt. If you're going to use the new skis for instructing and easier kicking around the mountain, you might want to take a peak at the Head V-10. The V-10 is 85 under foot vs. the 79-81 of the Titan and 74-77 of the Rally, depending on length. With your lighter weight the V-10 may be more of a Swiss Army knife than the Titan. The V-series is also noticeably lighter than the Supershape series. If you like the idea of a narrower ski, the V-8 fills that niche at 75. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above; it just depends on what you're looking for.
Thats a good idea, if he must have something 80...and a bit wider and is that Swiss Army Knife..and at his size the V10 would be a laugh riot.

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
I have spent sometime on the 163 Titan and agree with what others seem to be suggesting about it not being as versatile as some of the longer lengths. I am 5'6" 165 or so and found it to harder in bumps and other off-trail situations than I expected based on what I had read. I would probably look elsewhere for a multi-purpose ski.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I bought some new 2017/2018 Titans late last season online... but had to immediately send them in for warranty replacement due to sidewall delamination. :(

Finally received the replacements this week. :D They're the newer 2018/2019 model, with the new PRD12 GW bindings. Pretty stoked because I assumed they'd just install the PRD 12s from the returned skis.

Anyway, I was surprised by the 2018/2019 topsheet construction. Texture & finish (Koroyd?) seems similar to the Kore line. I really liked the textured "snakeskin" on the 2017/2018s. Seemed more durable. Guess time will tell.

Can't wait to try 'em out.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Not the same as the Kore... the Titan has a standard topsheet, just a bit different than the previous year's edition.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I spent time on the Monster 83 in a 177 and the Monster 88 in a 184 this weekend at Park City. I am 6' 200 pounds and a strong expert skier. Not really a bump guy anymore as I am 52 but can get down pretty much anything in good shape although not as fast as I used to be. I have been skiing my whole life(primarily NH & VT) and worked in the retail ski business from the ages of 18-33. Unfortunately I haven't skied as much the last 5-7 years but the kids are in college so I have more time this year.

I really liked both skis. The 83 was surprisingly stable while it was shorter than I generally ski in that type of ski. It was very maneuverable and held nicely on the packed snow at Park City this weekend. I think it would hold very well on hard snow in the northeast. I think if it came in a 180+ length I would have really liked it.

I spent more time on the 88 and loved the ski. It really ripped on the groomed stuff and it was good on the untracked stuff we skied. I could handle it in bumps as well and it released the tail much easier than the Curv GT I skied on the previous day. At high speed it made great GS trenches and I think it has enough torsional stiffness that it would hold well on the frozen stuff back home. The 88 didn't make shorter turns as readily as the 83 which is to be expected with the longer length and turn radius but the carved through the longer turns great when laid on edge. I haven't skied a real GS skis since forever but I given how well these ran I can only imagine what new ones are like and I am not sure I need them.

My only issue with the skis is the top sheets seem very fragile. My son was the first skier on the M83s and by the end of the third day the top skids were already chipped. I have a set of older Monster IM82s at home and the top sheets are a disaster and down right dangerous with the peeling top sheet. Mostly from skiing bumps on them when they bang together some but I would like them to be more durable. I skied a pair of the Atomic Vantage 86s (loved them as well) hard for a full day and they didn't show any real damage.

I have a new pair of Rally's at home that I haven't really been on yet and am looking forward to getting out on those. I don't think they will be as stable as the M88s but should hold better on the hard stuff and be fun when skiing slower with my wife.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sking Targhee almost exclusively, don't spend much time on groomers-Picked up some V-8's last fall and spent maybe an hour or two on them very early in the year. Snow softened up yesterday afternoon and grabbed them out of the truck- had a great time carving turns with these things. Thanks.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Similar soft snow experience, but with V-10: instantaneous joy with first turn in my maiden run yesterday, exactly what I was searching for.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Head Vs are a very underrated series of skis that many intermediate/advanced skiers who are on the Supershape series would enjoy even more. They're just a little more forgiving of our bubbles and don't require as much attention all the time.

Sponsor

Staff online