• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Why choose Marker 13Tcx Demo or Aatack 13 demo? 106 wide ski.
I think the Marker is more expensive. Aatack has a metal track which I'm not sure really makes a difference vs the Marker. Marker seems smaller maybe lighter.
Are both grip walk/ wtr/ alpine?
Thoughts?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I think the Marker is more expensive. Aatack has a metal track which I'm not sure really makes a difference vs the Marker. Marker seems smaller maybe lighter.
Thoughts?

Just got the Marker 13 TCX Demo. Will report back when I have it mounted and get to use it. Looks very sturdy out of the box so well see. Brakes from the Griffon 13's are interchangeable.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thoughts?
Most demo bindings cost more than the retail counterparts and are pretty much in line with each other. As far as why choose the 13 TCX? Well for one it is about 1cm lower in stack height and on a wider skki that plays into how the ski will ski. Both are GW compatible but the Marker is NOT WTR..not a huge concern since there are not a lot of WTR options out there. One one downside of the Marker is that it is a slight negative delta...the toe is a MM higher than the heel

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I have no issues with the X-Cell Race bindings, and you usually do not have a choice of a race binding anyway, because these days the plates are usually predrilled. I had a pretty bad experience with a Jester heel with a broken worm drive screw, which resulted in a catastrophic failure (well documented on this forum), which turned me off from Marker freeride bindings for the foreseeable future. With Salomon STH2, Tyrolia Attacks, and Look Pivot and PX, I do not see a reason to go Marker Royalty. I have a ski with a X-Cell race binding and I like it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have no issues with the X-Cell Race bindings, and you usually do not have a choice of a race binding anyway, because these days the plates are usually predrilled. I had a pretty bad experience with a Jester heel with a broken worm drive screw, which resulted in a catastrophic failure (well documented on this forum), which turned me off from Marker freeride bindings for the foreseeable future. With Salomon STH2, Tyrolia Attacks, and Look Pivot and PX, I do not see a reason to go Marker Royalty. I have a ski with a X-Cell race binding and I like it.
The Griffon TCX gives you the race heel that you like. As mentioned, For 2020 there will be a 100mm brake option also, the Xcell that you like will be available in a non race graphic and will accommodate Gripwalk.

James

Out There
Instructor
Most demo bindings cost more than the retail counterparts and are pretty much in line with each other. As far as why choose the 13 TCX? Well for one it is about 1cm lower in stack height and on a wider skki that plays into how the ski will ski. Both are GW compatible but the Marker is NOT WTR..not a huge concern since there are not a lot of WTR options out there. One one downside of the Marker is that it is a slight negative delta...the toe is a MM higher than the heel
Do they make shims to raise the heel?
Is the afd as wide as the Tyrolia Aa13?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do they make shims to raise the heel?
Is the afd as wide as the Tyrolia Aa13?
No shim. AFD is as wide as it needs to be.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The Griffon TCX gives you the race heel that you like. As mentioned, For 2020 there will be a 100mm brake option also, the Xcell that you like will be available in a non race graphic and will accommodate Gripwalk.
its a better heel, sure, but (a) it is a demo binding, which I am not a big fan of (b) this particular one is pretty tall, also not a huge fan, and (c) I don't think this combination is better than Attacks in any way, and I would think the STH2s and Pivots are a lot more elastic. I just do not see markers as competitive either on design/performance or price at this particular moment. Having said that, I am sure it is a very safe binding and there is nothing particularly wrong with them, and I would not hesitate to ski on them.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
its a better heel, sure, but (a) it is a demo binding, which I am not a big fan of (b) this particular one is pretty tall, also not a huge fan, and (c) I don't think this combination is better than Attacks in any way, and I would think the STH2s and Pivots are a lot more elastic. I just do not see markers as competitive either on design/performance or price at this particular moment. Having said that, I am sure it is a very safe binding and there is nothing particularly wrong with them, and I would not hesitate to ski on them.
Yes, it is a demo binding, just in that nature there is a compromise. Each have their pluses and their minuses. As far as height, the Marker and the Salomon are the lowest and the Tyrolia and Look are the tallest. There is not a Sth2 nor Pivot demo option.

Sbum02030

Booting up
Skier
Does that X-Cell binding mount to the race plates?

If so, could be a great binding to mount to a pair of skis for race coaching. Workable with race boots for freeskiing and comfortable boots for race day...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does that X-Cell binding mount to the race plates?

If so, could be a great binding to mount to a pair of skis for race coaching. Workable with race boots for freeskiing and comfortable boots for race day...
Yes it will.

dfdny444

Booting up
Skier
No shim. AFD is as wide as it needs to be.

Is the AFD height adjustable? Saw these on a pair of demo skis I was thinking about purchasing and did not see the usual screw in front(or back) of the toe to adjust AFD height.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is the AFD height adjustable? Saw these on a pair of demo skis I was thinking about purchasing and did not see the usual screw in front(or back) of the toe to adjust AFD height.
The Marker AFD is shaped where it does not need to be adjusted to accomodate a flat or Gripwalk sole.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
Just got the Marker 13 TCX Demo. Will report back when I have it mounted and get to use it. Looks very sturdy out of the box so well see. Brakes from the Griffon 13's are interchangeable.

@Ken_R - Reviving this thread: I remember from a separate post that you really like these bindings. I am wondering: Did you put a shim under the heel piece when you mounted these to even up the delta?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Ken_R - Reviving this thread: I remember from a separate post that you really like these bindings. I am wondering: Did you put a shim under the heel piece when you mounted these to even up the delta?
IF you do do that, make sure you also use longer screws. The negative Delta is 2mm so, if you want to go similar to the other brands, you will need a 4mm shim and screws that are also 4mm longer.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
IF you do do that, make sure you also use longer screws. The negative Delta is 2mm so, if you want to go similar to the other brands, you will need a 4mm shim and screws that are also 4mm longer.

Definitely.

And, being a noob at this, where does one acquire appropriate shims/shim blanks? A quick web search surfaced lots of touring bindings shims but less on alpine and nothing on this particular model.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Definitely.

And, being a noob at this, where does one acquire appropriate shims/shim blanks? A quick web search surfaced lots of touring bindings shims but less on alpine and nothing on this particular model.
No one makes a shim for this application, you will have to fabricate one yourself.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

No, I didnt even think about doing that. I have Griffons on my other skis and these feel about the same although the heel piece is much easier to get in and out of in soft snow.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
I am eyeing a pair of pristine Croc AM77 from 2018/2019 that come mounted with Griffon demo bindings, see photo. I want to use them with my Hawx Ultra XTD WTR. The table at the start of this thread states that royal family demo bindings are compatible with all soles. Can anyone confirm if these bindings are WTR compatible?

Attachments

• 20211003_185400.jpg
    20211003_185400.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 18

Sponsor