• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2019 Nordica Enforcer 93 vs 2019 Blizzard Rustler 9

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 5.09.14 PM.png

For being in the same family, Blizzard and Nordica are really going after each other. I don’t get it. Guys, you are the same company, globally speaking. Does it matter if a customer buys the orange one or the red one? Does it matter if the money goes in the right pocket or the left pocket? I am sure the product managers and reps care, but past that? This takes me to the Enforcer 93 and the Rustler 9.

The Enforcer 93 is the established one here, the cousin that is a little older and has been around the bull wheel a few more times. With age comes wisdom, and the Enforcer has aged well. It doesn't ski like it’s in the twilight of its product cycle; it is as fresh as the day I received my Protos a few years back. What differentiates the 93 is its versatility, not only in the terrain that it skis well but also the skier who rides it. A solid intermediate with a good skill set will enjoy it as much as most experts. It can be driven but doesn’t have to be.

Blizzard took a proven collection in the Rustler 10 and 11 and went down-market in bringing out the Rustler 9. Smart move. Other than some meh graphics, when the Rustlers were released last year, they were globally praised, especially as they replaced the uninspiring Peacemaker and Gunsmoke. Now the only spot to fill was the Regulator's, and the Rustler 9 does that. So, what does the Rustler 9 do? It is not your dad's Enforcer 93 -- it is younger and likes to be worked. It isn't a twin tip, but it is comfortable skiing backwards, on purpose or not.
  • Why choose the Enforcer 93? You like that old pair of jeans that is just starting to show some threads but is still damn comfortable.
  • Why choose the Rustler 9? You want new, fun, and playful … and a ski that I heard a product manager from a competing company describe as one of the best designs of the year.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've seen some comparisons of the Rustler vs. Enforcer lines that said the Enforcer had a little more tail and stability in chop. Agree or disagree?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've seen some comparisons of the Rustler vs. Enforcer lines that said the Enforcer had a little more tail and stability in chop. Agree or disagree?
I would agree with that.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Would agree that the full metal, extra weight and less tail(except for Enforcer 110 which is more “Rustler/freestyle like in rocker profile) of the Enforcers are better in chop and at speed. The Bonifide/Cochise would be better still than the Enforcer but not as forgiving or playful.

The Rustler 9/Enforcer 93 should be the closest to one another in stability as the Rustler 9 has the stiffest flex, most camber/least rocker, longest portion of metal underfoot and a heavier weight for it’s width compared to the other Rustler models.
Rustler 11 is decent in chop as it has more weight behind it and longer turn radius compared to the 10.

I’ve got a pair of Rustler 9’s coming for my new daily driver as I want a freestyle type ski that still has a Brahma like backbone. Love the Enforcer 93 but like a more forward binding mount and an even more playful feel.

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Thanks for the Cage Match - I'll have to test the Rustler just to see.... Enforcer 93 has been one the most versatile skis I been on - steep bumps, heavy chop, wind blown, firm (nearly ice) - all check. Can't say anymore than what has been written about it the last few years. A benchmark for me. Only ski I've enjoyed more was the Stockli Stormrider, but didn't test it in as many variable conditions; will do that this season.

Mallet21

Booting up
Skier
As someone who mostly skis in 6-7 consecutive day chunks from bell to bell, the Enforcer 93 just seemed to really wear out my legs by the end of the week. I'm hoping that the Rustler 9 can give me 75% of the performance of the '93, but in a lighter and easier to skid/smear/pivot ski when my legs start to peter out.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
Almost hard to emphasize how much I enjoy both these skis. The Enforcer still hasn’t lost a step against the rest of the industry. Slightly smoother and more stable than the rustler 9 yet heavier for someone looking to bust through variable conditions. The Rustler 9 is lighter and more lively and playful. Where it doesn’t get through chop, it allows you to bounce around or over it.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Recently looking at the 2019 Rustler 9 and noticed it is stamped “Engineered in Austria”, but “Made in U.S.A.”? Any clarification on what exactly “Made in U.S.A.”, refers to? Are these made by a “Blizzard” factory in the U.S. or contracted out with another facility?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Recently looking at the 2019 Rustler 9 and noticed it is stamped “Engineered in Austria”, but “Made in U.S.A.”? Any clarification on what exactly “Made in U.S.A.”, refers to? Are these made by a “Blizzard” factory in the U.S. or contracted out with another facility?

Actually says “Made in UA(Ukraine)” where Technica has another plant I believe. Think all the Rustler production line has been moved there now but still “Engineered in Austria” at the main Technical plant. Enforcers all made in the Austria plant but “designed in Italy” according to the ski markings.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Actually says “Made in UA(Ukraine)” where Technica has another plant I believe. Think all the Rustler production line has been moved there now but still “Engineered in Austria” at the main Technical plant. Enforcers all made in the Austria plant but “designed in Italy” according to the ski markings.

YES!! My bad...looks like I need to break out the readers...

Pauldotcom

Booting up
Skier
Rustler 9 is a blast; as is the 10...

But.. I still would like to demo the Enforcer 93 for hardpack, groomer days. The Enforcer 100 was an absolute animal on groomers; just wasn't for me in the bumps/glades because of it's firmness (feels glued to the snow where the Rustler wants to bounce on it).

SLC Skier

Booting up
Skier
Torn on the sizing here. Both of these skis sound like roughly what I am looking for. I am 5'10 180 lbs so the 180cm rustler sounds perfect, but can't decide on the sizing with the E93. Would anyone recommend the 185 or 177? Want the ability to ski hard and fast but would like to be able to ski in tighter spots as well.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Torn on the sizing here. Both of these skis sound like roughly what I am looking for. I am 5'10 180 lbs so the 180cm rustler sounds perfect, but can't decide on the sizing with the E93. Would anyone recommend the 185 or 177? Want the ability to ski hard and fast but would like to be able to ski in tighter spots as well.

I’m 6’2”/175 and skied the Rustler 9 180cm last season as my normal daily driver type ski. Replaced it in the spring with the 185cm Enforcer 93 as I found the Rustler a little light in heavy crud and wanted more firm snow edge grip. I ski quite fast and encounter lots of afternoon crud so made the switch and very happy with the E93s.

Even the 177cm Enforcer 93 will have more stability and better edge grip than the Rustler 9 with its increased weight and flatter, stiffer tail. Rustler more playful and forgiving though.

I’d probably lean towards the 177cm E93 as your ski if you’re “skiing hard and fast” but still want it to be better in tight spots or turn quickly at slower speeds which isn’t a strong suit of the 185cm E93.

Recommend reading the Blistergear E93 review as they discuss sizing a bit on there too.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
How does the rustler 9 ski in the shorter/ shortest lengths? I've been shopping an all-mountain ski for my Son (who is a very good skier but slight of weight and heigh..maybe 5'6" and 135lbs). He has some good front side skis, and has been out skiing his 165cm regulator for a few seasons now, I'm interested in any of these skis (Rustler 9, Evolv 90, E93) that skis well in a shorter length.

Thanks!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How does the rustler 9 ski in the shorter/ shortest lengths? I've been shopping an all-mountain ski for my Son (who is a very good skier but slight of weight and heigh..maybe 5'6" and 135lbs). He has some good front side skis, and has been out skiing his 165cm regulator for a few seasons now, I'm interested in any of these skis (Rustler 9, Evolv 90, E93) that skis well in a shorter length.

Thanks!

Are you looking for something similar to replace the Regulator with(all mountain twin tip) or something more traditional?

I ask as none of those are as playful as the Regulator and are geared more towards on piste with a bit of off piste use. Lots of other twin tip skis in the 90-98mm range that are more fun off piste, in the air and still do well on groomers.

If you have a good front side ski already, I’d maybe look at something else unless he does want something a little more “serious”.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Thanks!

My wife is your son's size and I doubt your son's speed or aggresion, she loves the E93(169cm) in anything soft packed to deep powder, it has to be REALLY heavy for her to want her Sickle's....

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife is your son's size and I doubt your son's speed or aggresion, she loves the E93(169cm) in anything soft packed to deep powder, it has to be REALLY heavy for her to want her Sickle's....

Hey, Josh

I don't think I made any claims about my son's speed or aggression, but the E93 is definitely a front runner--I had heard that it didn't ski as well in shorter lengths, but I'm encouraged to hear that your wife enjoys it.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are you looking for something similar to replace the Regulator with(all mountain twin tip) or something more traditional?

I ask as none of those are as playful as the Regulator and are geared more towards on piste with a bit of off piste use. Lots of other twin tip skis in the 90-98mm range that are more fun off piste, in the air and still do well on groomers.

If you have a good front side ski already, I’d maybe look at something else unless he does want something a little more “serious”.

Yeah, we're looking for a slightly more robust and directional ski , and we'd like to stay in the high 80's low 90's. The kicker is the length as he's short and slight and most of the typical contenders discussed here and elsewhere are always in the longer lengths (usually two steps up from what we're looking at)-so I'm just trying to get a sense of which of these skis retains their best qualities in the shorter lengths.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, we're looking for a slightly more robust and directional ski , and we'd like to stay in the high 80's low 90's. The kicker is the length as he's short and slight and most of the typical contenders discussed here and elsewhere are always in the longer lengths (usually two steps up from what we're looking at)-so I'm just trying to get a sense of which of these skis retains their best qualities in the shorter lengths.

135lbs won’t be an issue with skis in the 170cm range, so he’ll be fine with any of them as the Regulator wasn’t a light, wimpy ski at all.

The Evolve 90 is the softest and lightest of the group and would be a great bump ski if he’s into that at all. Probably a downgrade in stability and crud performance over what he has though.
The Rustler 9 is again lighter than the Regulator but more solid flexing underfoot and would be a better carver and it’s very good in soft snow/off piste for it’s width.
The Enforcer 93 would be similar weight to the existing skis but stiffer underfoot/tail with less tail rocker making it more stable, improving carving capability and giving it better edge grip on harder snow/ice over the Regulator. Mount is more forward than traditional skis so it’s not that far off the old ones too.

Mount with light bindings like the Attack2 13 and the 169cm Enforcer 93 would be perfect for him I think.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid