• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It's too new to have the Closed Captioning feature enabled. Hopefully soon for those of us who do not speak German. Thanks for the post.

I watched the video in German all the way through and it looks like it may be the best Stockli manufacturing video published. It turns out that Marius Quast (the YouTube poster) provides English captions on his videos (doesn't need to use YouTube's crappy auto-translate feature). I can't wait until Marius adds the English captions to this video.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
I am a first time poster looking for advice on sizing for a Laser AX. I am a 5’8” (173cm) 155# advanced skier who skied 38 days last season at Snowbasin before the COVID shut down. My current daily drivers are Enforcer 100s in 177 length. I was originally thinking the 175 Laser AX would be appropriate for my size, but after reading posts here from others of larger stature than I that found the 168 to be a better fit than the 175, I am not sure which length I should be on. I would appreciate any and all recommendations, and thanks in advance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am a first time poster looking for advice on sizing for a Laser AX. I am a 5’8” (173cm) 155# advanced skier who skied 38 days last season at Snowbasin before the COVID shut down. My current daily drivers are Enforcer 100s in 177 length. I was originally thinking the 175 Laser AX would be appropriate for my size, but after reading posts here from others of larger stature than I that found the 168 to be a better fit than the 175, I am not sure which length I should be on. I would appreciate any and all recommendations, and thanks in advance.
It really depends what you want out of the ski. You could go with either length, 167, if you want a shorter quick turning ski, 175, it a longer turn, more stable.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice taste in skis and ski sizes.
I ski the Enforcer 100 in 177 and the Laser AX in 175.
I'm 5'11 and a couple pounds on either side of 150, depending on recent beer consumption.
There are times, particularly in the bumps, when I would prefer the AX in 168 but at higher speeds on groomers or non-bumped slopes, I'm glad for the 175.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ What Phil and doc said. I'm 5'8", 140# and find the AX in 167 perfect The criterion I might add is that, if in between sizes, I will always opt for the shorter length in a ski because I much prefer bumps to groomers. Unless there's freshies to be found, I'm almost always in the bumps. And I've found the AX to be the best ski in bumps I've ever owned.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Thanks to Phil, doc and cosmoliu for your advice and personal experiences. Bottom line is decide on size based on how and what I intend to ski, either could work.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Nice taste in skis and ski sizes.
I ski the Enforcer 100 in 177 and the Laser AX in 175.
I'm 5'11 and a couple pounds on either side of 150, depending on recent beer consumption.
There are times, particularly in the bumps, when I would prefer the AX in 168 but at higher speeds on groomers or non-bumped slopes, I'm glad for the 175.
Do you feel the Laser AX in 175 skis long or similar in length to your Enforcers in 177? Thanks!

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski the 175s and I don’t feel they ski long at all. Snow basin is a big mountain so really depends on how you ski it. If you are a grip it and rip it go 175 or maybe you spend your time bumps or more technical skiing go with the 168s. You are kind of between sizes so it boils down your style.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you feel the Laser AX in 175 skis long or similar in length to your Enforcers in 177? Thanks!
Very similar in feel lengthwise. There are many who feel the Enforcers ski short, and I'm inclined to agree.
And, having skied one day at WPMJ with @cosmoliu (both of us on our AX's if I recall correctly), you should listen to what he has to say.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Curious, do the same AX ski length recommendations also apply to the AR or should we plan to size up from that of the AX with the AR?

Cisse

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Lurker, first-time poster.

I am currently skiing on (very) old Elan SLX worldcup race ski's, and am looking for new ski's Stockli's. My SLX's still work on well-groomed, fresh on-piste conditions, but they certainly lack in warmer weather (bumps and slush I can handle by skiing very actively and turning on the bumps, slush on a medium slope is... difficult) and generally are less potent than 5 years ago when going fast (80-95km/h) when they start to lack stability and clatter. Not to mention the days with fresh snow - attention is needed, then. So, new ski it is. I am torn between the AX, SC and AR however - and testing isn't possible. The shop will take it back for rentals of course if it's really not a good choice, but I still want to avoid that.

I ski everything on piste, like to go fast but play around as well, small fast or wider arcs. Almost pushing 40 and still in good shape but don't need a ski that requires lot of effort, lot of attention the entire time - but it needs to be a a lively ski. Need one ski to take with me (wife won't allow me to pack more than 1 anyway) to the Alps for skiing holidays, and encounter pretty much everything - good conditions, chopped up powder, slush, ice, ... I ski 90-95% on piste but like to play around now and then so just a little versatility off-piste is good. All said it needs to be a versatile ski, able to handle all conditions on piste first and foremost, and be enough to keep me entertained for the next 10 years (hey, these things cost money!).

I have tried some Stockli Laser AX's a while back and they were very, very nice. However it is impossible to test now, and from what I've read the AR and SC are nice ski's as well. Tha AX seems versatile and fits the bill, but I am perhaps scared it might be a bit "bland" for when I really step up the gas and might lack some trills. And does it do fast small turns quick enough, really? All in all, perhaps the safer choice but is it enough ski? The AR is a LOT wider than everything I ever skied, and it seems like it might be just a tad slower from side to side in small arcs. It is advertised as an "all mountain race ski" while the AX as an "all mountain piste" ski so what makes this difference, really? The SC finally seems like the finest carver but might lack versatility off-piste (that's fine if it is clearly better, though) and on-piste in bad conditions, which is not what I'm looking for.

Am I looking for something that doesn't extist? And which should I choose? Any advice or tips that could help, are very welcome.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Cisse it looks like you are voicing your way to clarity. You ask about the three skis in the beginning of your post then as you go though them, you start dismissing some, that is good. I think the compromise is the AX...you ask might it be too bland at high speeds? One person's bland is another person's quiet and composed. We usually say, the more things you as something to do, the less things it does well. The Stockli AX is one of the rare skis that still does a lot of things very very well, one of the attributes of it's high cost of admission.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You started your post talking about the lack of versatility in your current skis. You could have stopped there and looked at which of the 3 skis you're considering is the most versatile. That's the AX hands down.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Need one ski to take with me (wife won't allow me to pack more than 1 anyway) to the Alps for skiing holidays, and encounter pretty much everything - good conditions, chopped up powder, slush, ice, ... I ski 90-95% on piste

Yep. that's pretty much the definition of the AX. :ogbiggrin:

P.S. It warms my heart and brings me joy to see first time posters going for the right ski brand. :ogbiggrin:

Cisse

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks all for the replies. Yeah, you guys are right - the AX is most probably the thing I'm looking for. Most versatile and that is indeed the first and foremost thing I need.

P.S. It warms my heart and brings me joy to see first time posters going for the right ski brand. :ogbiggrin:
Actually it is the quality and the fact that this enables the AX to be good in a wide range of conditions, which won me over. So, yeah... Tha AX it is.

Which size do you think is right? I'm 75kg, 179cm - I'm thinking the 175, right?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which size do you think is right? I'm 75kg, 179cm - I'm thinking the 175, right?

The general consensus here seems to be that the 175 is the gold standard and at your height and especially because you mentioned you want to ski them fast I really cannot think of a reason why you should go for any other length.

I am on 175 and this is by far the best all-round skis I have ever skied, they are about as perfect as it gets.

Granted, if you want to ski hard and super fast all day long, the GS will be a better option, but for one ski quiver it is pretty hard to beat the AX.

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Also agree. I had the AX in a 175 as my daily driver. Ski Vermont and Alps (Italy & Switzerland most, most years). Can't think of a better option. I never wished I had a different ski or length. Until I tried a 168 back to back with the 175. I'm 6', 175lbs. Senior skier with a lot of miles. My solution was to sell the 175's and buy the a 168 and then (a year later) bought a Stockli non-FIS GS in a 175. If one is good. Two is better. GS is fantastic. Ups my hard snow game and is so comfortable/predictable as the speed goes up. AX just does everything really well.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GS is fantastic.

Cant wait for the season to open so I can try them, really cant wait...
Virtually everyone who tried them says they are THE perfect ski for hard groomers at speed.

Last edited:

Sponsor