• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You still need the black ones as well....

Black....as in CX?
I guess you do not mean Orea Noir :ogbiggrin:

And the other blacks and the black tip/red tail are waaaaaaaaay above my skiing level.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If enough Pugs buy these skis then sooner or later a pair will end up with me via the garage sale section. :D I'm broadcasting desired models and sizes telepathically right now.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy .....sounds like a trip to the Stöckli test/demo center at Zermatt is in order. This would be the ideal method/place to remove any ambiguities.
Maybe Zermatt next year. I had originally planned a European ski trip this season but we all know what happened with that.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just tested the SR 95. I am speechless. These are PHENOMENAL ski. Everything that was said about them here, absolutely everything is true. Smooth, damp, forgiving. I thought it was not possible for Stoclki to pull off another trick like the AX, but the Stormriders are just as good. Different but equally good.
On harder pack I'd still go with the AX but the edge hold of the SR is not far off and they turn the terrain into a pool table, A-MA-ZING! Long turns, medium turns. short turns-it does it ALL without missing a beat. Super super happy.

Now, speaking of Stockli, the only thing that remains for me is to learn how to properly ski the SL and all will be good. :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
By Jove, I think you got it. :duck: :ogbiggrin:

:roflmao: :roflmao: Ouch!

What is right is right tho. Now, I can of course bring all kinds of stuff in my defence like snow conditions, bad tuning, bad star alignment etc but we both know these would be just lame excuses.:ogbiggrin:

SL ski kick my ass more than I'd like to admit and I can truly appreciate their magnificence only for brief moments early in the morning. Happy to report there is progress. Last season it was all of 3 minutes, this season-a whopping 15.:ogbiggrin:

But I will keep at it.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
You need an SX, obviously :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:roflmao: :roflmao: Ouch!

What is right is right tho. Now, I can of course bring all kinds of stuff in my defence like snow conditions, bad tuning, bad star alignment etc but we both know these would be just lame excuses.:ogbiggrin:

SL ski kick my ass more than I'd like to admit and I can truly appreciate their magnificence only for brief moments early in the morning. Happy to report there is progress. Last season it was all of 3 minutes, this season-a whopping 15.:ogbiggrin:

But I will keep at it.
I need more time on the slopes and more practice, this is what I need.:ogbiggrin:

Just ribbing you. :ogbiggrin:
Time on ski is the ticket. Lessons too.

I am glad you don't take it seriously. This reminds me of an incident at the Aspen gathering few years back. I was skiing with a good friend who is a CSIA L3. Got on the cjair with a visiting PSIA examiner from JH. I was sitting between them. After they exchanged credentials. I turned to my friend and said, "Then why does your skiing still suck so bad?"
The PSIA examiner was laughing so hard, she almost fell of the chair.

“Its the not the Destination, It's the journey.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Have fun with the journey. :beercheer:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have fun with the journey. :beercheer:

:ogbiggrin:

I AM taking it seriously, I just take no offence because you are absolutely right, as you were absolutely right last season when I was bitching and moaning about how I am unable to find the fore/aft balance on my SL ski blaming it on them being too short (160) cm and you pointed out it was the driver, not the car to blame.
This season I start when I left off the last one with SL skis struggle..:ogbiggrin: But this one is a bit better because when I know I cant blame it on the gear, it is me where the issue lies.
For example, the SL skis punish instantly back seating, mine shoot under me like crazy in the more severe cases leaving me on my ass in the snow, puzzled and embarrassed. :ogbiggrin:
It gets even worse when the snow gets softer and uneven with dips, moguls, ridges etc. I get pushed, pulled, thrown off balance on the SL skis, get tired and frustrated and cry for mum.ogsmile

In stark contrast, the Stormriders absolutely do not care what the terrain is. Dips? What dips? Moguls? I see no bloody moguls. They just glide over and plough through everything. And they can be driven not just from the backseat but from the boot if you so wish. I can carve, smear, skid, pivot turn and they just keep going.

But I will keep practicing on the SL skis in the morning, the more difficult and challenging, the better I will get...eventually....after some time....but it is not like we are in a hurry, are we? No pressure.:ogbiggrin:

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
Just tested the SR 95. I am speechless. These are PHENOMENAL ski. Everything that was said about them here, absolutely everything is true. Smooth, damp, forgiving. I thought it was not possible for Stoclki to pull off another trick like the AX, but the Stormriders are just as good. Different but equally good.
On harder pack I'd still go with the AX but the edge hold of the SR is not far off and they turn the terrain into a pool table, A-MA-ZING! Long turns, medium turns. short turns-it does it ALL without missing a beat. Super super happy.

Now, speaking of Stöckli, the only thing that remains for me is to learn how to properly ski the SL and all will be good. :ogbiggrin:

I completely agree with your assessment. I have the Stormrider 88, Stormrider 95, Stormrider 107 and the Laser AX. If I could only choose one pair of Stockli’s to keep, for my type of skiing, it would be the Stormrider 95s. Fantastic all-mountain, take anywhere ski, that you can still rail groomers on.

I will say that the Stormrider 88 shouldn’t be overlooked either and I feel it’s a really underrated ski. I don’t ski it near as often as I should, but every time I do one of my first thoughts is, “why don’t I ski these more?” Many of the same attributes of the 95, but quicker edge-to-edge (obviously) and a bit easier overall to ski than the 95.

And the Laser AXs are in a league of their own. They’ve made me a better skier, rewarding me when I do everything right and not punishing me when my technique is off.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And the Laser AXs are in a league of their own. They’ve made me a better skier, rewarding me when I do everything right and not punishing me when my technique is off.

Absolutely! Same for me.

Another thing about SR95-instead of following my own logic, I decided to trust the collective wisdom here and go for 184 cm instead of 175. It turned to be the right decision as I do not really feel the difference in the length, for me the 184cm SR does not ski much different than the 175 AX.
175 cm for the Stormriders would definitely be too short, so BIG thank you to all who swayed me this way.

All in all I think I have found the perfect soft snow/light powder/spring ski for me.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Absolutely! Same for me.

Another thing about SR95-instead of following my own logic, I decided to trust the collective wisdom here and go for 184 cm instead of 175. It turned to be the right decision as I do not really feel the difference in the length, for me the 184cm SR does not ski much different than the 175 AX.
175 cm for the Stormriders would definitely be too short, so BIG thank you to all who swayed me this way.

All in all I think I have found the perfect soft snow/light powder/spring ski for me.

I have the 175 AX and the 184cm in the SR95. You made the right choice.

Note that each iteration of the SR95 is its own beast too. Having a "quiver" of SR95s isn't out of the question if you can find some of the old classics.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid