• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Note that each iteration of the SR95 is its own beast too. Having a "quiver" of SR95s isn't out of the question if you can find some of the old classics.

Yes, I remember you mentioning that before. I will keep an eye on fleeBay and suchlike for the older SRs. In fact just the other day before I received mine, a friend came to the mountain with his green/black/silver SRs but he categorically refused to even think about selling them to me. :ogbiggrin:
Judging by his reaction, they must be good.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yes, I remember you mentioning that before. I will keep an eye on fleeBay and suchlike for the older SRs. In fact just the other day before I received mine, a friend came to the mountain with his green/black/silver SRs but he categorically refused to even think about selling them to me. :ogbiggrin:
Judging by his reaction, they must be good.

Yeah, the green letter monsters are more hard snow biased. They ski more like a wide GS ski with gobs of power. Mine only go near the snow when all the rocks are well covered. :)

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I have the same quiver as @Noodler - a 2020 AX and SR95. Was considering making it three with the SR105, but I’m not sure I even need anything else. My powder days are few and far between and often more a leftovers thing.

Kite Pilot

Putting on skis
Skier
Interesting, I also have a pair of the green/black/silver (2013/14?) letter SR95's that I absolutely love. I also have a newer pair of SR95's (the plaid ones ;-) that I've only had out once. Originally I was saving the new ones for better conditions, but the green/black/silver ones were just too good to give up. Love them in varied terrain, bumps, or whatever.

The bases are just about gone now and I'm going to have to reluctantly get out the new ones. The base on one ski of the green/silver/black ones got a fine crack horizontally across the base just a few days ago, anyone else have this happen? I noticed it right after scaping off the wax during my wax job, I don't think excess heat would have done it. It may be just too many hard days. They literally have hundreds of very hard days (6 years X 60+ days a year) on them so they're probably due for retirement, but hate to see them go.

I also have a pair of AX's, my second set, I bought for early season groomers that are great fun too.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same quiver as @Noodler - a 2020 AX and SR95. Was considering making it three with the SR105,

I was considering adding the GS to the quiver but I think I will hold out and direct the money towards lift passes and diesel. AX+SR+SL is about everything I will ever need this season with no trips to Italy and France, i.e. no wide well groomed blues and reds where I can let the GS rip.

Another reason is I hope they will redesign the GS for 2022 with the same topsheeet as the current WRT ST which at least by the looks of it is more scratch resistant to the one on the GS,SL etc. I really hate how my SL get scratched and how it shows on the glossy plastic patches. Why Stockli would not use the same material as in the X series I do not know.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I was considering adding the GS to the quiver but I think I will hold out and direct the money towards lift passes and diesel. AX+SR+SL is about everything I will ever need this season with no trips to Italy and France, i.e. no wide well groomed blues and reds where I can let the GS rip.

Another reason is I hope they will redesign the GS for 2022 with the same topsheeet as the current WRT ST which at least by the looks of it is more scratch resistant to the one on the GS,SL etc. I really hate how my SL get scratched and how it shows on the glossy plastic patches. Why Stöckli would not use the same material as in the X series I do not know.

I actually do not like the "nubby" top sheet textures they used from about 2016-2020. On the lighter colors that texture did kind of hide surface scratches, but much less on the darker colors. Also, it was easy for an edge cut across the top sheet to abrade and/or chop off the nubs. My Laser CX from 2014 has a much better top sheet texture that still looks brand new to this day. I appreciate that Stockli does texture their top sheets, but the nubby version was a miss in my view.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This season I start when I left off the last one with SL skis struggle..:ogbiggrin: But this one is a bit better because when I know I cant blame it on the gear, it is me where the issue lies.
For example, the SL skis punish instantly back seating, mine shoot under me like crazy in the more severe cases leaving me on my ass in the snow, puzzled and embarrassed. :ogbiggrin:
It gets even worse when the snow gets softer and uneven with dips, moguls, ridges etc. I get pushed, pulled, thrown off balance on the SL skis, get tired and frustrated and cry for mum.ogsmile

If you are having fore/aft balance issue. You can try moving the binding forward 1 to 2 cm. That will make the skis more neutral.

Alsotry skiing off the bottom of your feet rather than the top of the boot cuff.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are having fore/aft balance issue. You can try moving the binding forward 1 to 2 cm. That will make the skis more neutral.

Alsotry skiing off the bottom of your feet rather than the top of the boot cuff.

Yessir!

Will do and report back.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually do not like the "nubby" top sheet textures they used from about 2016-2020.

Did you already see the WRT ST personally? Any thoughts on their top sheets? I have only seen pictures and it looks matte and dimpled-quite nice. Very curious how it will resist/mask scratches.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Did you already see the WRT ST personally? Any thoughts on their top sheets? I have only seen pictures and it looks matte and dimpled-quite nice. Very curious how it will resist/mask scratches.

I have seen the WRT ST up close and personal. I think that's a one-off and you will not see that across the Stockli line-up. What you will see is the current AX/SX/CX new top sheet show up across more models in 2022. That's the typical Stockli pattern of making the top sheet changes.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What you will see is the current AX/SX/CX new top sheet show up across more models in 2022. That's the typical Stöckli pattern of making the top sheet changes.

That'd be very nice. For a red coloured top sheet of course. So it settles it, I will wait for the 2022 GS. Unless of course a ridiculously tempting offer pops up. :ogbiggrin:

Ever tried GS in 175? I am kinda reluctant to go this way but the guy from whom I am borrowing the 180 for testing has them also in 175 and hinted he might want to sell them and as he is a friend of mine I am at a sort of liberty to twist his hands.:ogbiggrin:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That'd be very nice. For a red coloured top sheet of course. So it settles it, I will wait for the 2022 GS. Unless of course a ridiculously tempting offer pops up. :ogbiggrin:

Ever tried GS in 175? I am kinda reluctant to go this way but the guy from whom I am borrowing the 180 for testing has them also in 175 and hinted he might want to sell them and as he is a friend of mine I am at a sort of liberty to twist his hands.:ogbiggrin:

Are we talking the FIS ski or the regular Laser GS? I have skied the regular GS and it is a cheater GS with a lot more tip cut than a competition ski. The 175 GS ski could be a fun ski, but it's almost sacrilegious to call it a "GS" ski at that length (unless you're a junior racer). ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are we talking the FIS ski or the regular Laser GS? I have skied the regular GS and it is a cheater GS with a lot more tip cut than a competition ski. The 175 GS ski could be a fun ski, but it's almost sacrilegious to call it a "GS" ski at that length (unless you're a junior racer). ;)

Yeah, the regular GS. Indeed 175 kinda defeats the purpose, that's why I am not extremely eager to pursue this.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

OK, first report after some changes were introduced.

But first of all let me give you some background on my experience with the Laser SL-it started last year when at the end of the season I tested a pair of 16/17 ( I believe) in 160 cm. Did not like them at all. Too short (I thought) and very hard to find the balance point. On top of that I had to test them in soft spring snow: heavy, sticky gooey, tracked stuff and I suffered A LOT.

For this season I got the 19/20 model in 165. First time out-almost the same tracked, soft snow. No bueno.

Today however was completely different-extremely cold (well at least for me)- like -17C, very hard snow, icy patches-beauty. Lasers-freshly tuned.
Started on a blue as per your advise with boots totally unbuckled in an attempt to kill the bad habits. It went well, although truth be told ZipFits hold the foot in a way that makes shells kinda optional. :ogbiggrin: The difference between buckled and unbuckled booth is almost imperceptible so as long as my booster straps are tightened I can ski with boots completely unbuckled. No difference whatsoever.
I had to constantly repeat to myself: from the bottom of the feet, from the bottom of the bloody feet...:ogbiggrin: I think I know what you mean, but it will take some time to fully implement this.

Otherwise, on smooth, hard, icy terrain the Laser SL absolutely shone! The edge hold is something I have never experienced before, it is mean, it is savage, it GRIPS!
Short turns-check. Medium turns-check. Turn on a dime: check.
What amazed me the most is that I was able to ride them in quite long turns although not fast and super careful as these just want to turn and I was thrown off balance more than once by the inner edge of the ski biting suddenly.

All in all-very happy, best thing is I spent the whole day on them without having to seek the comfort of my AX.

Will keep at it and who knows, one day we might start to like each other-the Laser SL and I. We wont ever be the besties and the apple of each other's eye that we are with the AX but we will be at least on speaking terms.:ogbiggrin:

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
I waited all of 2020 for this thread to be closed and a 2020 Stöckli thread to be started. Now I am waiting for a 2021 Stöckli thread. Sigh. Nonetheless, I will say that my 2019 Laser AXs were fabulous today -- a beautiful, sunny, hard snow day at 49° North. It is often opined that it is the Indian, not the arrow. But I know that in my case it is the Laser AXs.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I waited all of 2020 for this thread to be closed and a 2020 Stöckli thread to be started. Now I am waiting for a 2021 Stöckli thread. Sigh. Nonetheless, I will say that my 2019 Laser AXs were fabulous today -- a beautiful, sunny, hard snow day at 49° North. It is often opined that it is the Indian, not the arrow. But I know that in my case it is the Laser AXs.

It was already mentioned here that perhaps it is not a bad idea if we petition @Philpug to rename this thread to "The Neverending Stokli Thread" :ogbiggrin: and take it out of the archives.

Yes, in the case of AX it IS the arrow.

Imma just quote my favourite review on these, just to make sure it is here:

"The Stöckli Laser AX won’t take no for an answer. Whatever fears you may have about racing down the hill mach schnell, the Laser AX doesn’t want to hear them. It doesn’t share your concerns about getting kicked around in heavy snow and certainly isn’t going to tolerate a defeatist attitude in the face of glistening boilerplate. The Laser AX has plenty of confidence for the both of you.

The AX can be so aggressive because it insulates its master from the consequences of its actions. The ride remains smooth and calm, regardless of the condition of the terrain beneath your feet. The Laser AX is the consummate servant; it strives to make you look good and let’s you take all the credit while it does all the work.

Any worthy ski tester is always looking for the perfect adjective that captures a ski’s essence. Rich from The Sport Loft nailed the Laser AX when he penned, “Solid, predictable, plush.” We love the “plush.” It conveys the sense of luxury with a whiff of decadence that the pilot experiences while the Laser AX imposes its will on whatever snow it is asked to subdue. "

My personal favourite is: it insulates its master from the consequences of its actions. That's is about as right as it gets.:ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Gone Skiin'

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hope this is the right thread for this, as it's mainly about Stockli (and a little about Kastle). I'm in the market for a pair of skis for my wife, who is coming off a knee injury, but is a very good, athletic skier. She has a pair of Black Pearls (97mm underfoot), which she really likes, but would also like a pair of skis that are a bit better in firmer conditions and present less risk for her knee (there are some articles out there saying that wider skis are worse for knees in all but deep pow). (We ski Squaw almost exclusively.) She demo-ed the Stockli Laser ARs and loved them, but the local shop is saying if she loved those, she'd love the Laser AX or the Kastle MX 75s even more, as they'd be even more responsive, esp. on firmer snow. Unfortunately, no one seems to demo either ski, at least in her length (around 159-161 -- she's 5'4") in North Lake Tahoe. Any input would be appreciated.

In the same vein, I'm thinking about a pair of Stormrider 95s and a pair of Laser AXs myself. My Enforcers from five years ago are almost out of edge (and base), and am looking to replace them with one, maybe two pairs of skis.

Yes, this is a season of gear investment. Thanks in advance!

Sponsor