• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2019 Tour de France

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
My first thought was a thread for picking who is going to win....but then this can just be a dumping ground for all discussion about this years event.

Getting all sentimental I'd love to see Quintana win...but it seems like his best days are in the past and in reality it's hard to look past Thomas or Bernal, especially with the weight of Ineos behind them. Definitely more open without Froome though.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I just read a bit on Quintana..basically saying he can't win because you can't just keep riding at 10,000' and above because you never peak and your body compensates. I'm no physiology expert so I'm just quoting and not lending any credence to it.

I thought the route was odd this year. Also, no TT near the end, just big mountains then Paris. Could be an explosive penultimate day..

As for favourites, who knows. I think it's Thomas' to lose.. Can Porte step it up? Maybe.. Anything can happen though..one bad day on a climb with no support..can crush you..especially when the second to last stage is a beaut...

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I reckon it's either Thomas or Bernal....the current commentary seems to be swinging Bernal's way.

Three great stages so far. Alaphilippe was awesome this morning.

Oh and let's not forget a New Zealander currently in 4th :)

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I'm hoping it's a French this year. Or the runner from Canada - well, I'd at least like to see him get a win. Just not a Sky win or Astana, screw those guys.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
At the halfway stage = good tour so far, some really exciting stages. Was very disappointed to see most of the main contenders out the back on Stage 10, including NZer Bennett....some kind of radio stuff-up and he was back at the car getting bidons when the cross-winds split the peloton. Went from 1 minute back in 4th to 11 minutes back in 27th. Gutted.

It seems like a two horse race now, Thomas or Bernal. Some really tough stages in the last week though, so who knows.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
What sort of team sends a guy as far up the GC as Bennett back for bidons. Amateur hour.

At least for the Sky haters they won't win it this year, the bad news is it is looking like Ineos could well do given their strength and the superdoms who've still got plenty of gas in the tank. Plus G hasn't flinched yet though Bernal is only a decent TT away from pushing him hard as plan B.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Alaphilippe is having the GT of his life and seems not to be a prick unlike a certain Aussie quitter. I really hope there isn't a doping sting in the tail. The TT was amazing.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Alaphilippe is having the GT of his life and seems not to be a prick unlike a certain Aussie quitter. I really hope there isn't a doping sting in the tail. The TT was amazing.

Do you mean you hope there isn't a doping sting we find out about? Assuming that doping is as widespread as it's always been

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
There was definitely some code in G's interviews last night about TTs having funny effects on the legs that suggests someone is going to start making a big deal of it if JA starts taking more time on the Tourmalet etc.

Which is interesting because despite being a Brit I'm as sceptical about Sky/Ineos ' "marginal gains" activity as anyone.

scott43

Skier
Alaphillippe crushes it on the Tourmalet after crushing the TT. Cycling news says unbelievable. Exclamation or statement..

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
seems not to be a prick unlike a certain Aussie quitter.

That may be a bit uncalled for. If you've followed his career you might know that Dennis has talked multiple times about some issues with his mental health and how they relate to his cycling. Just last month he talked phases of depression on a podcast interview.

We don't know why he quit. There is plenty of speculation. But if he's placing his mental health over a bike race, that's the right move.

People leave GTs all the time for illness. Mental illness is just as much of an illness -- there is just a ton of stigma around it that makes people hide.

https://www.eurosport.de/radsport/t...lle-antworten-schuldig_sto7378830/story.shtml
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cyclin...han-dennis-tour-walk-out-20190719-p528v1.html

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah I appreciate the mental health aspect and if it is that I wish him nothing but the best.

But reports from the peloton of Dennis being an allround good guy are very scarce. Plus the rumours of having a strop over having to ride his own team's bike. Plus I have a bit of a cultural legacy - I'm obliged to dish it out on Aussie sportsmen. It's a national tradition.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So what team has the best kit this year? Who is the worst?

I think I like Movistar, Bora and FDJ the best.

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Yeah I appreciate the mental health aspect and if it is that I wish him nothing but the best.

But reports from the peloton of Dennis being an allround good guy are very scarce. Plus the rumours of having a strop over having to ride his own team's bike. Plus I have a bit of a cultural legacy - I'm obliged to dish it out on Aussie sportsmen. It's a national tradition.

Are you a kiwi? I not, prey tell where else in the world has a national pastime of dishing it on Oz sportsmen (here's looking at you Warner, Smith, Cooper, Clarke, Ponting etc etc etc etc etc)?

TS
NZRob

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
So what team has the best kit this year? Who is the worst?

I think I like Movistar, Bora and FDJ the best.

Best: Trek Segafredo (always been a red, white and black fan) or Bora

Worst: Ineos (I liked the simplicity of Sky outfits but that dark red look isn't nice) and AG2R (brown rarely works)

Sponsor

Staff online