• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I knew it was about 10 years ago. I couldn't remember the actual year and was too lazy to actually look. Thanks for getting my facts straight.

It's my job! lol ... no, I wasn't trying to be rude, I just remember Jan 11 as being subliiiiiiiiiiime.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
How are the bowls? We were there when they opened Blue Sky a couple weeks ago but haven't been back since. Coverage wasn't bad, but it had dropped about 6" the day before. We are planning to head to Vail Monday unless someone tells me it isn't worth the extra 30 minutes of driving.
I have not been back there, since they opened, but I would not expect the "back bowls" experience from what I have heard. One of the best skiers I know that that they skied very well on Monday, but now...?

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have not been back there, since they opened, but I would not expect the "back bowls" experience from what I have heard. One of the best skiers I know that that they skied very well on Monday, but now...?
Thanks. We got rope drop on Lovers Leap, so in my mind it has been a good year in the bowls. It was definitely thin coverage a few weeks ago, and after the Christmas invasion, I'm not confident it will be in very good shape. I appreciate the info!

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Thanks. We got rope drop on Lovers Leap, so in my mind it has been a good year in the bowls. It was definitely thin coverage a few weeks ago, and after the Christmas invasion, I'm not confident it will be I'm very good shape. I appreciate the info!
The back bowls are so special when the conditions are normal (not 25% below normal), I don't see the point. One of our most accomplished trainers told me today that he hasn't even been back there yet. Glad you got the rope drop! With low snow, it's all about timing!
P.S. Someone else said that Milt's Face was skiing well.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
The back bowls are so special when the conditions are normal (not 25% below normal), I don't see the point. One of our most accomplished trainers told me today that he hasn't even been back there yet. Glad you got the rope drop! With low snow, it's all about timing!
P.S. Someone else said that Milt's Face was skiing well.
I completely agree! The hope of deep days in the bowls is the main reason I stick with Epic and don't just go with a Loveland and Monarch pass.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The conditions over the last two days at Vail were very firm, but the grooming crew works magic. How I never hit a rock, I'll never know. The snow has to be very thin, but they somehow spread it where it needs to be - kind of like a snow comb-over. :geek:
Something's got to give. This is just not great.

Vail's frontside groomer runs mostly look like peaceful gentle meadows in the Summer months. Not a ton of snow coverage required to not hit anything. Now compare that to A-Basin and you'll understand why A-Basin needs way more snow before you'll stop hitting the earth on most of their "groomers".

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This year W.P. has renamed their Eskimo ski lift the "Explorer" Lift.
(Guess they didn't want any traces left of their getting rid of the Eskimo Ski Club kids, after all these years.
Messy. That lift broke down yesterday in the wind, and was out in the morning at least today.

Summary of W.P. conditions and lift lines: piss poor.
Conditions: maybe after yesterday's winds, in most places, almost shocking. Too little for even rock skis, mostly,
except for a few groomers over at Winter Park/around Cramner/Alice in Wonderland stuff.
And lift lines? Almost the longest I've seen this season.
No problem if you're under 50, I guess.
Kinda stuck on low volume lifts at the Jane, for the most part. But I like the ski runs those serve.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
This year W.P. has renamed their Eskimo ski lift the "Explorer" Lift.
(Guess they didn't want any traces left of their getting rid of the Eskimo Ski Club kids, after all these years.
Messy. That lift broke down yesterday in the wind, and was out in the morning at least today.

we noticed that about "eskimo" when we were there. What is funny is the lift where they removed the letters have a huge shadow of the name. I don't know why it's offensive but this is a new world.

Last edited by a moderator:

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
My best non wind loaded turns at basin yesterday were in dog woods.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
we noticed that about "eskimo" when we were there. What is funny is the lift where they removed the letters have a huge shadow of the name. I don't know why it's offensive but this is a new world.
Its really sad WP bent over to the cancel culture. Seriously doubt it had anything to do with booting the Eskimo ski club, and had everything to do with humoring the sensitive. I've the same attitude towards the movement to rename Mt. Evans.
I've been skiing WP, and then WPMJ, for 55+ years, back when they had the high-speed Meteor and Comet t-bars, and the Eskimo chair, and was really dismayed to see the name change. A little bit of history just went away.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its really sad WP bent over to the cancel culture. Seriously doubt it had anything to do with booting the Eskimo ski club, and had everything to do with humoring the sensitive. I've the same attitude towards the movement to rename Mt. Evans.
I've been skiing WP, and then WPMJ, for 55+ years, back when they had the high-speed Meteor and Comet t-bars, and the Eskimo chair, and was really dismayed to see the name change. A little bit of history just went away.
If you knew even the outline of the dishonest details of their multi year fight to get rid of the Eskimo ski club (the signature, resident ski club for children since at least the late forties, probably earlier), you'd realize that was more than likely why they did the renaming. Won't go into them again, but just so driven, dishonest and slimy, from the top of their organization at the time - ended just a year or two ago, actually.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
well, the first few runs were soft, then it took some real hunting to find decent snow. we still have so many rocks and pebbles.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back at Copper today, thankfully - even though it got too crowded for me before 11.
(Sigh of relief it was still great on all those groomers there, and even on some other slopes around the edges.)

No Lilly G. Traverse still, though Tucker Mt./Three Bears is open, in places.

Slalom skis this time.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Rode a few trails today. Very dry, fast and loose. Really cool trails. PM for location info. Far from Denver. lots of chicken heads, chunder, ball bearing rocks. I miss the dirt but this is a nice distraction from the bad ski season.

You chose well. I only made it for an hour and a half at LL today before it all went to #### again. I thought maybe with the 5" or so they got that the conditions might make it worth it, but I was still managing to find earth on every run I took. Luckily my Fischer skis seem to be fairly indestructable, but I'm am just so tired of this low tide season.

Status
Not open for further replies.