• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
but I'm am just so tired of this low tide season.

feeling the same. Im at day 25 but tired of dodging rocks, dirt patches and grass. we have about 5-6 runs that are skiable but they get worse as the traffic beats them up. I was at LL last wednesday and it had far better coverage than here.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So of the four areas I usually go to (Copper, LL, ABay & WP), seems like for me only Copper is an option, until we get some feet of snow.

And Copper has it's hurtles, aggravated this year.

Their huge early season investment in snow-making for the racers does mean that groomer runs are still dirt free, except in a very few places.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On top of Covid, it's a double whammy.

It's been ever since early last spring, mid March,
that the snows (and rains) dried up, very suddenly,
just after the ski areas had to shut down.

It's as if Ullr, and the nature spirits of the winds and weather
that support his/her Kingdom/Queendom,
must have also enjoyed how much we all were digging skiing
and powder, and those mountains,
until suddenly they got a rude awakening when we all left, and agreed,
"Hey, enough of that fun, maybe it's time to let them know that Mother Nature matters too."

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, instead we have limited terrain (and less open lifts), it's just pouring salt into the open Covid wound. It really has become a double whammy.

and here anyway, the crying of people forced to wear a mask and give up their freedoms. :mask:

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
We were trying to get to Vail this morning but 70 was it's usual.mess thanks to people in 2wd cars crashing all over. Got frustrated with the traffic and headed to Cooper, which was empty as usual. Ended up with a solid 5+" and not much traffic to run it out. Ran laps on fresh until my fat old legs said enough.

Was a pretty good day until we ran into two more wrecks coming home, which made a 2.5 hour drive 4.5 hours.

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_182718010.jpg
    PXL_20210118_182718010.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210118_181516116.jpg
    PXL_20210118_181516116.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 19

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We were trying to get to Vail this morning but 70 was it's usual.mess thanks to people in 2wd cars crashing all over. Got frustrated with the traffic and headed to Cooper, which was empty as usual. Ended up with a solid 5+" and not much traffic to run it out. Ran laps on fresh until my fat old legs said enough.

Was a pretty good day until we ran into two more wrecks coming home, which made a 2.5 hour drive 4.5 hours.
Cooper rules the not so deep powder days.

I've had many cancelled DH days there turn into sweet, relaxed powder days.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
It is just so relaxing there. No lift lines, no prima Donna's, happy employees, and just a happy bunch of people enjoying themselves. We have Epic but still end up doing 10-12 days at Cooper, especially when the young nieces and nephews come visit. My dream is one day they will run a lift up Chicago Ridge.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
You chose well. I only made it for an hour and a half at LL today before it all went to #### again. I thought maybe with the 5" or so they got that the conditions might make it worth it, but I was still managing to find earth on every run I took. Luckily my Fischer skis seem to be fairly indestructable, but I'm am just so tired of this low tide season.
While I was sitting in the I-70 parking lot this morning I was really close to dropping into LL and using some of this 4 pack or Gems card. What stopped me was seeing 4 and 8 still not turning. What the hell are they waiting for? It looks like they have good coverage on 8. Am I missing something?

This is by far the latest I have ever gone without at least one LL day. I keep reading your reviews of the days at LL and decide I am just going to keep waiting until it hopefully gets a little more back to normal (if that's possible).

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
While I was sitting in the I-70 parking lot this morning I was really close to dropping into LL and using some of this 4 pack or Gems card. What stopped me was seeing 4 and 8 still not turning. What the hell are they waiting for? It looks like they have good coverage on 8. Am I missing something?

This is by far the latest I have ever gone without at least one LL day. I keep reading your reviews of the days at LL and decide I am just going to keep waiting until it hopefully gets a little more back to normal (if that's possible).
Yeah, there's really not much snow. Also, to ski 8, you have to be able to get over there ... and get back

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

You were very smart to hold back on LL. Until #4 and #8 are spinning, it is still very, very limited terrain.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
You were very smart to hold back on LL. Until #4 and #8 are spinning, it is still very, very limited terrain.

They apparently did at least open South Chutes today.

Lot is full every day so no real reason to push sketchy terrain when they can’t really handle more demand.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is just so relaxing there. No lift lines, no prima Donna's, happy employees, and just a happy bunch of people enjoying themselves. We have Epic but still end up doing 10-12 days at Cooper, especially when the young nieces and nephews come visit. My dream is one day they will run a lift up Chicago Ridge.
For Better or For Worse, things happened pretty slowly at Cooper. They put in the Poma a couple of years ago. I'd be surprised if they put a lift on Chicago Ridge since they serviced it with cat skiing. Touring Chicago Ridge is an option though.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What stopped me was seeing 4 and 8 still not turning. What the hell are they waiting for? It looks like they have good coverage on 8. Am I missing something?

Coverage on 8 is fine. Coverage on 4 is not. Especially after the big wind event. Patrol stomped around over there last week, but coverage is just not there for people to safely ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online