• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You can do the hike from Sierra up to the top of Union (unless the Celebrity Ridge poma is running) and get to Buzzard's Alley and Golden Crest (I think that's the name). BUT, instead of hiking, it is much easier to use the goat track on the backside of Union (you drop below PHQ on the Copper Bowl side) and it pops you right up to Buzzard's Alley & Golden Crest. View attachment 121632

ACK-SHOO-A-LEEEE .... Golden Crest goes down into Copper Bowl (the signs from the traverse point to GC and BA, I think; BA goes down Union Peak side, and GC down next to Mountain Chief on the south side).

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ I am not totally sure if those two have different names (I'm sure patrol has different names, I just suck at names -- had to give a witness statement on an accident the other day, and I am so clueless) or if it's all Buzzard's Alley, the stuff you can access from the backside traverse. I always just considered that BA, and the bowl in the middle Union Peak. I can ask. I do know ... well, I have heard ... that Buzzard's Alley was a behind-the-back nickname for one of the old (really old, since the current one has been there a minute) patrol directors or foremen or something like that, but don't quote me, and I don't even remember where I heard that. Since I too am old.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I remember a few seasons back you took me down that entrance at the far lookers left (being called Golden Crest) it was deep and untracked! Once again, I just follow. :).

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember a few seasons back you took me down that entrance at the far lookers left (being called Golden Crest) it was deep and untracked! Once again, I just follow. :).

Now our secret's out! It does get lots of nice wind loading ...

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
So how are conditions at Vail vs Beaver Creek? Snow and lift line waits? Trying to decide which resort to stay at for a week, starting about a week from now.

Website shows Vail has almost everything open. Is everything really skiable, or just open to say its open? Beaver Creek shows Grouse is closed :-(. Is this likely to open soon?

Yeah I know we should wait and go later in the season once coverage improves, but that's not how life works sometimes. Appreciate any suggestions...

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
So how are conditions at Vail vs Beaver Creek? Snow and lift line waits? Trying to decide which resort to stay at for a week, starting about a week from now.

Website shows Vail has almost everything open. Is everything really skiable, or just open to say its open? Beaver Creek shows Grouse is closed :-(. Is this likely to open soon?

Yeah I know we should wait and go later in the season once coverage improves, but that's not how life works sometimes. Appreciate any suggestions...
Vail legit has most terrain open, but you need to understand you are going to hit a lot of rocks and possibly take some core shots if you try to get away from the crowds. If you know the mountain you can get away from the long lift lines on the front side, at BSB or China Bowl, but you are definitely at more risk of skiing terrain that patrol probably wouldn't even open most years.

Beaver Creek definitely isn't as busy as vail, even with grouse closed, but midweek lift lines are exponentially longer than normal. I am used to basically skiing onto lifts at BC, but a 15 or even 30 minute wait has been fairly routine the two times I visited this year.

If I was doing a week, I would probably target vail midweek and BC on the weekend, but definitely don't expect things to be what you experienced in prior years. And if it actually snows (powder day) while you are here, I wouldn't even bother with Vail as it will be insane. We are freaking out about 4" days at this point.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Everyone's talking about the lack of snow. Am I the only one to notice it was 38 degrees yesterday and now 39 degrees today in middle park? The snow on the North side of the house is melting...

Reactions: nay

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice powder morning at ABasin this morning. Everything off Pali was fun, but still hit some rocks. Caught the rope drop into the Beavers which was excellent too, for this season :)

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Open Snow looks promising for CO
Is that still the trusted source for skiing forecasts?

Open Snow has been spot on in New England this year and from what I can tell Tahoe and CO have been very accurate in predictions for whatever amounts of snow have fallen. Open Snow called the 20 inch storm for Killington and the surprise 10 inches that we got during the week. Some of the finest skiing in the lower 48 is in Vermont right now

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Open Snow looks promising for CO
Is that still the trusted source for skiing forecasts?

This is a good storm for the SW part of the state and to some extent the central mountains. Continued weird that the big events for CO in a La Niña have been more like El Niño. The places doing best are often skunked in what we expect to be a NW flow predominantly.

All good if it gets terrain open and it finally turns on for spring.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another nice morning with a skiff of fresh either fallen or blown in on the corduroy.

IMG_20210122_083601547_HDR.jpg
Baldy with her hat on.

It was also a retro day for some:

IMG_20210122_093411491_HDR.jpg
I complimented this lady on her ski pants. She got them from her mother who said they were from the 80s. She didn't know the brand and I couldn't see a label. Ellesse?

IMG_20210122_093817975.jpg
I saw this guy twice. Once at the lodge where I complimented his pants. I added that I was serious in case he thought I was being wise. ogsmile Later on I saw him near the base of the (closed) T-bar and asked if I could take his picture. He was excited and happy to let me take a shot. Roffe pants, Descente windbreaker 1/4 top. He liked my K2 Experimentals as they are Red, White and Blue and thought they'd go with his outfit.

20171023_070337_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
How’s Mary Jane skiing? Thinking about day tripping up Sunday for a morning session. Are the bumps skiable without needing to buy a new pair of skis after?

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
How’s Mary Jane skiing? Thinking about day tripping up Sunday for a morning session. Are the bumps skiable without needing to buy a new pair of skis after?
At least of last Sun, all the bump runs off Challenger and Ironhorse were very bony, nearer the top on Ironhorse runs and farther down on the Challenger runs. Lots of little exposed trees continuing to lose more and more of their tops. Don't know if they've had snow since then.
BTW, last Sun Ironhorse was not running; evidently, a tree got blown into it during the big windstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online