• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I actually stayed in a condo at Cuchara Valley for the Stonewall Century ride, and it really has potential. Just add snow (and paint). Super cool ride put on by some great folks:

Totally forgot about that ride. It's been a few years but the last time I did it it was windy as hec. And it had weird wind.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Sierra crest supposed to get up to 10’. As in more than our entire season. And then the storm is supposed to split again going north and mostly south of CO.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hearing you guys' first hand reports about conditions despite deceiving pictures and it being late-January is making me feel better about continually punting and postponing on getting out there.
Since this season I'm basically rolling solo, I don't have to coordinate and plan with others and lock-in dates and travel. Makes it easy to wait until last minute to do anything.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Hearing you guys' first hand reports about conditions despite deceiving pictures and it being late-January is making me feel better about continually punting and postponing on getting out there.
Since this season I'm basically rolling solo, I don't have to coordinate and plan with others and lock-in dates and travel. Makes it easy to wait until last minute to do anything.
Have you considered other areas besides CO? Mammoth and Kirkwood are about to be slammed, so Lake Tahoe area might be a good alternative:

Forecast per OpenSnow:
  • Mammoth - 118" next five days; 22" next week
  • Heavenly - 46" next five days; 26" next week
  • Kirkwood - 103" next five days; 42" next week

• I-70 corridor - not much

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Before doing that, it might be smart to check the Tahoe thread, where the locals are predicting infrastructure mayhem from all the snow to come.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
im finally healthy, not taking any risks for marginal skiing. To each their own!
Apart from finishing healing, which I didn't need to do, I'm with you. I've eschewed the tentative terrain for the mostly predictable cord. Yesterday threw in a couple of 'oops' when what looked good was actually pretty slippery. I'm glad I don't lean in.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All you front range people complaining while Wolf Creek is sitting at 111" base and just had a 3' storm. Stop the whining and drive a few hours south!

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I live on Cheyenne Mountain in the Springs and we got buried! A solid 10" in the first wave and more is coming tonight. I really wish this storm would have gone NW to get some depth on the ski hills rather than our non-ski mountain.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It feels like late October at this point. I'm pretty tired of riding rocks all day. Hopefully my rock skis survive this season.

This is one of those seasons that unfortunately builds my rock skis part of the quiver. I just can't stay on my rock skis for this long and keep trying to convince myself that they're "tools, not jewels". ;)

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
I created some new rock skis as well. My daily driver is now my daily rock ski. I will be in the market for a new daily driver when the sales hit in a couple of months.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I live on Cheyenne Mountain in the Springs and we got buried! A solid 10" in the first wave and more is coming tonight. I really wish this storm would have gone NW to get some depth on the ski hills rather than our non-ski mountain.
Break out the touring gear and hit Pike's?

I created some new rock skis as well. My daily driver is now my daily rock ski. I will be in the market for a new daily driver when the sales hit in a couple of months.
I haven't done any damage but I'm staying on the groomers. I'm too aggressive off piste and I'm more concerned about a shark grabbing a ski and tossing me than tearing up skis. They make skis every day. My body is a once in a lifetime event.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Break out the touring gear and hit Pike's?

I haven't done any damage but I'm staying on the groomers. I'm too aggressive off piste and I'm more concerned about a shark grabbing a ski and tossing me than tearing up skis. They make skis every day. My body is a once in a lifetime event.

I have only gone out one time at LL and stuck to groomers and lower angle runs. It was all good. Anything steep is a no go still unless you are looking for an excuse to get new skis.

Status
Not open for further replies.