• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've still got my five days too. With the below-average snowpack and warm temps leading to unusual early March rain in Denver yesterday evening, I wonder if we'll all be trying to use our A-basin days/passes in a compressed May.

My 5 days is an A Basin pass. I went that route so as to avoid any potential issues.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
another powder day at the Boat! we had a really nice 6-8" of medium density but easy powder over a firm base. the trees on the lower areas were skiing better than up high so we worked some really fun Trees in Closets, Sunshine area and then Pony where on the Northern aspects the snow was light and dry. Truly had a great time skiing with @SKI-3PO and @Gary Stolt over the past week. What a great way to end their visit here. Some pics showing just how good the trees were today.
30296183-967C-4FF1-B059-6DA5926F7018_1_201_a.jpeg F57C3242-9FD3-42A1-82C7-643F1F46E22B_1_201_a.jpeg E786B2AD-4B9C-495F-9A19-5091F2943ED0_1_201_a.jpeg 41D082BB-D6FC-4137-A67B-4351B21A229D_1_201_a.jpeg FC27CE6D-E1A9-4BC9-A172-B5AED1789B6C_1_201_a.jpeg FE9690F2-0C3B-4694-A3AD-2DF949CEF0A7_1_201_a.jpeg CB076801-C753-4DC2-8BC9-D6F039E328AD_1_201_a.jpeg 564728F5-CEF7-4C7D-A496-DDFC9873E1CD_1_201_a.jpeg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have a new Friday "ritual" at LL. Early morning touring lap, then ski until my legs can longer keep me standing. Today proved to be especially prescient in going for the early morning tour as I heard traffic on I-70 hit insane proportions later.

Today I got the untracked run as a reward lap for my slog up the mountain. Conditions were fun if you knew where to look and I had great company along for the ride while we were tearing it up.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nobody can top (or even match) a @dbostedo trip report.

But quick highlights...

Day 1 started with that moose you saw while you were here (or a friend) that ran beside us while we left our condo to give us an early scare. Leftover powder from a big day the previous day made for great skiing. My memory of being here 8ish years ago worked out ok to not get us in too much trouble.

Day 2 we met up with @Ron to get the better tour. Lots of sunshine and good snow. One of us may have ran into a tree which I can confirm wasn’t a great idea.

Day 3 @Drahtguy Kevin joined us for more sunshine and good snow. Sunshine area, a short hike, the Ridge and a few late day Pony Express runs were the highlights.

Day 4 @SkiNurse joined the party. Do they only have sunshine and good snow here? More great runs in Sunshine and off the Ridge were highlights.

Day 5 answered the previous question. No. After a few increasingly warm days the surface solidified. And the sun went away. The smart people didn’t ski. Our first run through the trees reminded us how good we had it the first few days. Eventually the snow started and by lunchtime there was enough accumulation to mask the solid surface on the groomers. And by the end of the day we were enjoying untracked in the trees.

Day 6 we met up with @Ron again and had great skiing in the trees from the snow from the previous day. Lots of untracked all over. @Gary Stolt tried to match the tree encounter but only found a branch.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
After an early start at Keystone helping set up the start, being starter and gate puller...

IMG_20210305_081505075_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210305_083506102.jpg

IMG_20210305_083516576_HDR.jpg

I left a touch early to get my COVID-19 vaccination, a Pfizer one, in Frisco. This was apparently the first day when there were LOTS of vaccinations available and the scheduling didn't keep up with the influx of recipients. I had to drive all the way to WalMart to get in the line of traffic on CO 9 to get my vaccination. It was a worthwhile 2 hour wait as I am one shot down, one to go.

I had planned to get in a run in the clear cut and did, just 2 hour later than expected. Some people have no eyes for finding the old skintracks under new snow. I didn't have that problem so avoided a soft, dog modified skin track and got a quick up for a beer at the top and a challenging ski down. Yesterday's snow had settled, warmed up and was beginning to crispify when I descended. The layer underneath was a break-into crust which liked to try to persuade your skis to go in directions you didn't desire.

Nonetheless, I got down, unscathed.

IMG_1891[1].jpg
Another day of snow that is good for you.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I have a new Friday "ritual" at LL. Early morning touring lap, then ski until my legs can longer keep me standing. Today proved to be especially prescient in going for the early morning tour as I heard traffic on I-70 hit insane proportions later.

Today I got the untracked run as a reward lap for my slog up the mountain. Conditions were fun if you knew where to look and I had great company along for the ride while we were tearing it up.

We beat the rush leaving Monument at 6, which is fairly leisurely. We also beat the rush and left A-Basin once the Ikon horde showed up. Cool thing about fleeing Ikon on one side of the pass is that it isn’t on the other side.

8FB63B7D-99A3-4C52-9F50-ADD505ECCF15.jpeg 5E1C8AE9-CFD3-4360-A76A-3D37716F04CA.jpeg

Snow stayed colder on the LL side it seemed and cooler temps were a bit of a relief - I shed a layer and was a lot more comfortable. 9 didn’t open, not sure why.

Some more pics from Zuma. Snow was light and creamy - just a really nice spring day when one has the Loveland Pass Pass. I usually can’t get ms nay to ski much off piste, but she’s a lot stronger this season and was all over the mountain today. Really sweet.

3EF681C7-1F4B-41B3-8ADE-880FAA268207.jpeg C4B0DA5E-8D73-4677-A353-ABF2908716D3.jpeg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Oh, and I literally spaced sitting on my poles on BMX, hopped off right over them, and one took a ride for another 30 yards and dropped under the lift.

Liftie had to slow it down and I went wading. Deep in there, shoulda skied it.

4D5A052A-3969-46BE-8E3C-9A2B73715D93.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I left a touch early to get my COVID-19 vaccination, a Pfizer one, in Frisco. This was apparently the first day when there were LOTS of vaccinations available and the scheduling didn't keep up with the influx of recipients. I had to drive all the way to WalMart to get in the line of traffic on CO 9 to get my vaccination. It was a worthwhile 2 hour wait as I am one shot down, one to go.

AWESOME! CONGRATS. :golfclap::rocks::yahoo::wag:

We are hoping for our vac's maybe next week??

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One of us may have ran into a tree which I can confirm wasn’t a great idea.
Seems to be a trend... it's kind of hard to see, because this is blown up a lot... but this is me in Olympic trees with a sapling I ran into between my legs and my left ski wedged and stuck under a branch under the snow. Eventually while trying to figure out how to get out, the branch broke and I was able to slide forward.

20210131_094746.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@nay - #9 didn't run today because LL didn't have enough lifties. I didn't get the whole story on why they didn't show up.

Reactions: nay

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I heard traffic on I-70 hit insane proportions later.
I can confirm.

Left home around 9. Parked in remote Village lot around 11. Stood in long line for shuttle. At Chet's Dream, maybe 11:45. (Delay includes dressing and gearing up in car.)

Excellent lesson from 1-4.

Stood in line that extended from shuttle drop-off all the way up to Lift 2. Arrived at car 5 PM.

Kind of insane, yes. But if that's what it takes for the rest of my lessons this season, I'm still in.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Seems to be a trend... it's kind of hard to see, because this is blown up a lot... but this is me in Olympic trees with a sapling I ran into between my legs and my left ski wedged and stuck under a branch under the snow. Eventually while trying to figure out how to get out, the branch broke and I was able to slide forward.

View attachment 126743

Ok but who was taking this picture:P?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online