• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can't find anything on Breck's late-season ski plans for this season, but based on how they've historically closed things and based on typical late-season ski conditions here is the best that I'd anticipate.

After next weekend (4/11), I'd expect to start to see some reductions in lifts/terrain/on-mountain dining.
After weekend of (4/17), I'd expect that Peaks 9 & 10 will likely be closed, Peak 6 may stay on another week or 2, weather dependent but they could close it then
After weekend of (4/24), I'd expect all skiing to be consolidated out of Peak 7 base, with access to T-Bar, Imperial. They'll run Chair 6 as long as they can but that terrain goes to mush pretty quick late season.

So, TL/DR, I'd anticipate to start seeing significant terrain closures after 4/17, and after 4/24 to really see in consolidated to the following lifts:
-Gondola
-Independence (Peak 7)
-T-Bar
-Imperial
-Chair 6 (but usually closed by end of April)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Seldomski , we only have limited experience with late closing. The Gondola ends operation due to wildlife restrictions before Memorial Day, I believe. They run 'continuous' buses to Peak 7 (which was the lift that was open late.) It could be Peak 8 that is open late. Dealer's choice. Either way T-Bar and Imperial will remain open. Maybe 6 Chair, but IIRC, 6 Chair was an early casualty. Some Free Ride routes are year round and just change schedules. Others don't run during off season. If you are staying at a hotel with a shuttle, they will likely take you at least to the Transit Center (base of gondola) where all buses meet/cross routes.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
If you are staying at a hotel with a shuttle, they will likely take you at least to the Transit Center (base of gondola) where all buses meet/cross routes.

Well we are looking at VRBO/airbnb to get a house, so trying to figure out what location is good for mountain access on foot or by bus since we won't be able to lean on hotel services. So, we will try to get something within walking distance of the transit center/gondola based on comments from you and @afski722

Snooping around on Vail website, it looks like no Ski School reservations possible in the month of May.

We did ski Breck a few years ago for Memorial Day and know generally what on the mountain is open that late. But, we were right on the mountain and didn't worry about the gondola being closed.... That year, Vail had a pretty detailed plan posted about what lifts would be open when. I haven't seen that yet.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I should add, it will be a toss-up as to after the end of April if they consolidate mountain access to Peak 7 - Independence, or Peak 8 - Colorado.
On one hand they typically like to start clearing/plowing out the snow around Peak 8 with snowcats so they can start getting stuff ready for summer operations, and they shifted to utilizing Independence for late season skiing after Pioneer Crossing opened.

On the other hand, they may consolidate to Peak 8 base instead of Peak 7 since they will have to start doing site prep work and tree clearing for the new Peak 7 in-fill lift/HSQ going in this summer. And that might involve plowing out access/service roads with snowcats and/or moving stuff over snow.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm super happy to find only the Reso and Celebrity Ridge lifts are closed at Copper:

Winter Trails & Lift Report | Copper Mountain Resort 2021-04-05 10-58-18.png

The Celebrity Ridge lift has only run weekends this year. I was told it was because of COVID staffing issues. We'll see if it runs next weekend, but I'll bet not. It doesn't change the terrain available. It just makes it easier to access. We got by for decades without it.

Super happy to see Copper sees the value of north-facing Tucker over east-facing Reso. Even in a good season, the bottom of Reso gets ugly in April, and it's not a good season.

Crossing my fingers to see what next Monday brings. I hope they can keep Tucker open. Maybe need to harvest snow to keep the south-facing access trail covered?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the bad news. It's too warm! Plus no big storms on the horizon at this point.

Copper Mountain Resort, CO Monthly Weather Forecast - weather.com 2021-04-05 11-17-39.png

I like that calendar from the Weather Channel this time of year because it shows past, forecast, and average temps. The forecast temps, especially the overnight lows, are too darn high. :(

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Here's the bad news. It's too warm! Plus no big storms on the horizon at this point.

View attachment 130461

I like that calendar from the Weather Channel this time of year because it shows past, forecast, and average temps. The forecast temps, especially the overnight lows, are too darn high. :(

This is the crux of the matter. I was really surprised at the amount of melt that is already occurring across the sunny slopes at LL. We have to keep in mind that we're missing at least 100" of snow fall that would normally be our "protection" against these warm temps in Spring. Without that, we're going to be hitting the earth again quite soon. Muddy areas are showing up in the middle of the runs at LL.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Reso was open this past Saturday (Cabin Chute skied well, but Sawtooth has a lot of dirt showing) but Celebrity Ridge was not.
Runs on Tucker were in good shape, except for the skating rinks thru the trees at the bottom above the runout to Three Bears chair.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I can't find anything on Breck's late-season ski plans for this season, but based on how they've historically closed things and based on typical late-season ski conditions here is the best that I'd anticipate.

After next weekend (4/11), I'd expect to start to see some reductions in lifts/terrain/on-mountain dining.
After weekend of (4/17), I'd expect that Peaks 9 & 10 will likely be closed, Peak 6 may stay on another week or 2, weather dependent but they could close it then
After weekend of (4/24), I'd expect all skiing to be consolidated out of Peak 7 base, with access to T-Bar, Imperial. They'll run Chair 6 as long as they can but that terrain goes to mush pretty quick late season.

So, TL/DR, I'd anticipate to start seeing significant terrain closures after 4/17, and after 4/24 to really see in consolidated to the following lifts:
-Gondola
-Independence (Peak 7)
-T-Bar
-Imperial
-Chair 6 (but usually closed by end of April)

When we skied memorial day a few years ago, it was just:

Independence (Peak 7)
T-Bar and Imperial (sometimes, depended on wind if one or both would even open)
Zendo
Kensho

6-Chair and the Gondola were closed. Still, this is a lot of open terrain and the snow was quite good up top.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This is the crux of the matter. I was really surprised at the amount of melt that is already occurring across the sunny slopes at LL. We have to keep in mind that we're missing at least 100" of snow fall that would normally be our "protection" against these warm temps in Spring. Without that, we're going to be hitting the earth again quite soon. Muddy areas are showing up in the middle of the runs at LL.

Yea, it looks like our line is going to trend more to 2012 than 2013 at this point. It’s going to be 60° at 11k today. That’s ok, not dragging out this season isn’t the worst thing.

I’ll probably end up at 10 days or so total, which has generally preserved my stoke for next year.

2FCDBEAE-1345-4FD4-B1A3-EFEE8173007D.jpeg

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@tball the plan is to keep Tucker open as long as possible. The problem might be getting there. Rattler is in good shape so hopefully. Buzzards is still good. There were safety closures for rapid warming/wet snow this weekend. Spaulding and runs off Copper Bowl were affected. Reso was running yesterday also but there was lots of speculation. Hopefully A will make it to the 11th because Triple Treat and Formidable are still in good shape. The bottom of everything over there could have stuff starting to surface or dirt so be careful.

You should check out the new run, Lyman's. It's in west village between I Way and Prospector. I think it will be a fun run for the advancing beginners. Coverage is good in there but even in the trees its was sticky and grabby this weekend.

You really need to be someone that enjoys the warm, very soft, grabby kind of snow to enjoy skiing beyond 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. Even north facing stuff like Coleman's and Gold Digger were affected.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s ok, not dragging out this season isn’t the worst thing.
Boo, hiss! We just need a big April storm cycle. It's not on the radar now but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It's only April 5th.

There were safety closures for rapid warming/wet snow this weekend. Spaulding and runs off Copper Bowl were affected.
Bummer. The lack of snowpack and warm temps is bringing wet slab danger out too soon.

Anyone who enjoys steeps should probably get their fill as soon as possible. At this rate, it might not be too long for all but the high north-facing runs. Looks like the east-facing steeps in Zuma are closed at A-basin. The bowls at Vail are closed except for Sun Up and Sun Down.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Boo, hiss! We just need a big April storm cycle. It's not on the radar now but that doesn't mean it can't happen. It's only April 5th.

I know. And then the whole world will pack limited terrain with reduced chair capacity.

LL just announced that 2021/22 passes are on sale with “Ski free for the rest of the season!”. Yay. Just what we need.

I’m going to pick a few low key days and watch A-Basin closely as to how they manage things, hopefully grab a couple east wall days before it’s over.

it’s been a:huh: season and I’m ok with that. 5 of the 6 in my household have had one vaccine shot and 3 of us are done.

Bring on summer ( and emergency room availability, apparently ). This is what those strider bikes turn into sooner than you think.

28881A7A-9C74-44A1-A614-679AA3B7A1D2.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had a very nice day of skiing at Breck today. I started at 8:30 on groomers with my friend, K. They started to soften about 9:00 and were quite pleasant. I joined up with @Wannabeskibum at the T-Bar at 10:30 and we headed to Peak 6 (where we were joined by my roommate, Marty) and its south facing Bliss trail-bowl. No bueno. Not hideous, but not as nice as Peak 8's groomed. So back to 8 then 9 and eventually 10. On the way back from 10 we say Imperial spinning so took a ride up Superconnect to 6 Chair to Imperial. It looked and sounded kind of stiff in the Bowl so we hazarded a run on Peak 7. It was very pleasant, heavy and slightly lumpy, but really fun. Marty and I did another lap on CJs while @Wannabeskibum descended to prepare for his trip home.

IMG_20210405_134724410.jpg

IMG_20210405_134820856.jpg

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
anyone know if Breck has a half pipe open? My snowmagdon delayed trip is this weekend, and so far had zero luck getting on a pipe this year. Plan is to fly in friday. Make Breck the home base, I'll be out sat/sun/mon. Dad & Sis just sun/mon. On sunday I plan on taking them over to beaver since they want easy green runs, and beaver has those on top.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't know if they have a pipe, but I think they do still have a park. Not Freeway, but the one up Four O'Clock from Freeway called Park Lane.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Breck did not build a pipe this year, but they do have a bunch of features on Park Lane.
Freeway where the Superpipe typically is and the features for the Dew tour is essentially a blue groomer this year, other than a little bit of shaping for the features in the dirt/ground.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Breck posted their late season plan today (maybe they were reading this thread?)

Basically, starting 4/19 everything out of Peak 8 only.

Colorado
Rocky Mountain
T-Bar
Imperial
Rips Ride through 4/25
Gondola through 4/30

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
anyone know if Breck has a half pipe open? My snowmagdon delayed trip is this weekend, and so far had zero luck getting on a pipe this year. Plan is to fly in friday. Make Breck the home base, I'll be out sat/sun/mon. Dad & Sis just sun/mon. On sunday I plan on taking them over to beaver since they want easy green runs, and beaver has those on top.
There's always the Copper halfpipe. Guessing you'd have to pay for a ticket, but it's an option. They are grooming it right now:

download (6).jpeg

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a very nice day of skiing at Breck today. I started at 8:30 on groomers with my friend, K. They started to soften about 9:00 and were quite pleasant. I joined up with @Wannabeskibum at the T-Bar at 10:30 and we headed to Peak 6 (where we were joined by my roommate, Marty) and its south facing Bliss trail-bowl. No bueno. Not hideous, but not as nice as Peak 8's groomed. So back to 8 then 9 and eventually 10. On the way back from 10 we say Imperial spinning so took a ride up Superconnect to 6 Chair to Imperial. It looked and sounded kind of stiff in the Bowl so we hazarded a run on Peak 7. It was very pleasant, heavy and slightly lumpy, but really fun. Marty and I did another lap on CJs while @Wannabeskibum descended to prepare for his trip home.

It was a great end to 4 days of wonderful skiing at Breack. My descent was two laps of 6 chair on Amen which was quite delicious than up E chair to close out the day with a run down American to base of 9.

View attachment 130503

View attachment 130504

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online