• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today I worked all morning and got a nice ski report from a friend. Things finally warmed up enough for the groomers to be soft. The trees were not there yet, though, and when they are, they'll probably be break through and un-supporting.

Upper mountain was firm. Peak 7 didn't open, but hike to on 6 was open and reportedly firm. I skied a couple runs in Horseshoe, skier's left of Lulu which was soft enough from being blown in to be 'OK'. Lost Cabin meadow was the winner along with Claimjumper on the way out.

I did get a couple nice photos

IMG_20210410_124954876_HDR.jpg
The (sort of) mandatory bus stop shot.

IMG_20210410_134329287.jpg
From the top of Imperial Chair. Pikes Peak is loosing snow fast in the far distance. It's a good day when you can see 100 miles.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Hartman's Rocks, I believe is it's full name. Between Gunnison and Blue Mesa. It's a recently developed bike area.

Yep Hartman Rocks, which rocks. Right outside of Gunnison, some pics looking north to CB 30 miles away.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Today was surprisingly fantastic. Didn't take long for the snow to go "hero mode" and was super grippy. Then around noon it was starting into the corn cycle down low and moving up the mountain. Nice to get some actual Spring skiing again before the new snow moves in this week.

Doing the A-Basin thing tomorrow with some good friends...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Claimjumper, most any groomer on Peak 9, Peak 10: Centennial, Double Jack, may Cimarron, Peak 6: Bliss.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Today was surprisingly fantastic. Didn't take long for the snow to go "hero mode" and was super grippy. Then around noon it was starting into the corn cycle down low and moving up the mountain. Nice to get some actual Spring skiing again before the new snow moves in this week.

Doing the A-Basin thing tomorrow with some good friends...
Was this at LL today? So, conditions aren't super hard before afternoon warming? Considering whether to try LL on Monday or wait for the snow.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Posting the expected and obvious. Might be a few good days this week but the end is around the corner.

"According to the latest numbers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s measurement sites, the snow-water equivalent — or the amount of water held in the snowpack — at Copper Mountain has worsened since last week, signaling that the snowpack has peaked for the season. Last week, the snow-water equivalent was 82% of the 30-year median at Copper Mountain. This week, it is 74%. The median snowpack peak for the site is April 26."

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/we...-its-going-to-be-a-wet-week-in-summit-county/

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A-Basin skied "upside down" today. Early snow was impeccably groomed and surprisingly grippy. As the day went on, the good grippy snow was scraped away and unfortunately it never really warmed up enough to soften most of the slopes. @Snowfan and I even ventured into the Beavers where it kind of became a survival run as we encountered a lot of timber fall and other hazards no longer covered by snow. The gully run-out is also in really poor shape and some sections required hopscotching to get through.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I skied Breck today starting about 11:00. I met my friend for a few groomers on 8 and over on Peak 6. Hike-to opened on 6 so I went for it. when T-bar opened I hit it. Skied Felicity. The snow was underused but was in the freeze/thaw cycle. Heavy but with air in it. Exciting and fun.

IMG_20210412_123853957_HDR.jpg

Lower down in the meadows it was halfway between crispy crust and cream cheese. Kind of crunchy cheese. One more run to experiment on the open terrain to the skier's left of Bliss. More crunchy cheese until about 100 m of nice creamy cheese. Then crust. Bushwhacked to lower Reverie for a nice out.

T-bar was open now so I checked it out. I saw a group of what I think were PSIA clinicians (there were bunches of groups all over the mountain with one guy/gal talking wearing a PSIA badge) hanging around the top the top of Humbug when I entered Horseshoe. They were still standing their when I arrived so I just dropped in and had more crunchy cheese but with some air content, so not too bad.

Looking for some Goldilocks snow, I went down 4 O'clock and Freeway. Back on 5 Chair for another Freeway. Just right.

And now I'm in my office gettin' 'er done.

I

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
And....closed.

D5099161-5E0B-41AA-BC87-3ED8491E3EBC.jpeg

Just in time for days of off and on snow out of the SW. LL Snotel with the forecast for next week looking a lot like 2012 curve, but with extra base. 2013 looking like a pipe dream.

2DD5C8F1-40A8-4CFC-8431-C1D5CE9E7659.jpeg

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
And....closed.

View attachment 131141

Just in time for days of off and on snow out of the SW. LL Snotel with the forecast for next week looking a lot like 2012 curve, but with extra base. 2013 looking like a pipe dream.

View attachment 131142

This is one of the shortest ski seasons I can remember. It will still keep going in the high alpine but still, April used to be prime season for places like Breck (remember 3 feet in 3 days one April a while back).

Looks like LL peaked at the end of March good grief. Need to cool down the world...

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was a splendid spring day at WP/MJ. I had intended to do a POV through Dilly Dally Alley for my granddaughter, but forgot my phone.:doh:

Grippy up top and soft down low, I was by myself, not just no ski partner today, but pretty much no one on the hill either. Slope-side parking, runs to myself -- so screaming wide arcs down big, wide groomers. I did venture into Outrigger bumps because it looked like it had softened from the top. That only lasted for about six turns however... the rest was tooth rattling. But still fun. Beautiful blue sky day.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
This is one of the shortest ski seasons I can remember. It will still keep going in the high alpine but still, April used to be prime season for places like Breck (remember 3 feet in 3 days one April a while back).

This a photo skiing with a friend on May 22, 2019 in Breck's North Bowl. Looking across to Peak 6's Bliss Bowl, complete coverage in deep snow.

Not going to happen this year!

May 22 2019 North Bowl.jpg

As of today, Breck is taking ski day reservations through May 7. Not yet beyond.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This a photo skiing with a friend on May 22, 2019 in Breck's North Bowl. Looking across to Peak 6's Bliss Bowl, complete coverage in deep snow.

Not going to happen this year!

View attachment 131177

As of today, Breck is taking ski day reservations through May 7. Not yet beyond.
Ouch! Or they don't feel the need to take reservations anymore. Please be the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.