• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
Was it result of too many 420 Day celebrations? Hard for me to come up with any other good explanation...

Waiting in the T-Bar line at Breck this afternoon, there were an amazing number of boarders falling off the bar within 30 yards of the loading station.

View attachment 131889

It became terrific entertainment for most of us waiting in line. I have never, ever seen so many boarder falls and so many doomed-to-failure T-Bar hold techniques. One boarder held the "T" of the bar in front of him as if he was waterskiing. Another ended up with the T-Bar on his belly, facing backwards. One heroic individual fell twice within the first 10 yards, but hung on while being dragged up the snow track on his back; at this point, two T-Bar station operators ran out of the shack and screamed at him "Let Go! Let Go!!!". But he persisted in hanging on. Fell again; recovered; fell a fourth time; and finally recovered for good! At this point the waiting line erupted into cheers of "Never Give Up" and applause. :roflmao:

As a boarder I know the pain. Problem is there are few t-bars to practice on. There are ways to do it that arent bad. But if you've never done it, you will struggle.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
My first (and only) time on a poma, I really would have been better off leaving my skis and poles with the lift guy. Would have made the whole falling and getting up and back in line go so much faster!

That was at Powder Mountain. The people in line were very kind to the 3 or 4 newbies. After our first fall, they let us cut in line to try again ... as if humiliating ourselves again as quickly as possible was a priority.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
My first (and only) time on a poma, I really would have been better off leaving my skis and poles with the lift guy. Would have made the whole falling and getting up and back in line go so much faster!

That was at Powder Mountain. The people in line were very kind to the 3 or 4 newbies. After our first fall, they let us cut in line to try again ... as if humiliating ourselves again as quickly as possible was a priority.

Taking a few more seconds in line for the hope/expectation of otherwise free entertainment... easy choice. ogsmile

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
Should ban snowboarders like Alta and that would quickly fix any T-bar loading issues.

opfreak

Booting up
Skier
I shout 'stand up'. Tell them what you want, not what you don't want.

This. The right way to do this is to stand on the board like you are getting on the lift, but ride on a nearly flat base. You need almost no inputs, and you let the lift take you up. You also want the bar either in front of you, or behind your back, and put the tee in your pit. Its a very strange experience as a boarder. And personal think that once you get off track. Get off the lift and ride back down.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is very early, but folks are champing at the bit to get things setup for next season. So if you're interested in the Taos Gathering in 2022, you may want to vote!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
No stoke on I-70 right now. I'm heading east, west of the tunnel. An accident stopped us, but westbound going down the hill has its own issues ... vehicles on the westbound side facing east. And some stuck vehicles now.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No stoke on I-70 right now. I'm heading east, west of the tunnel. An accident stopped us, but westbound going down the hill has its own issues ... vehicles on the westbound side facing east. And some stuck vehicles now.
The tunnel is closed eastbound right now according to cotrip.org ... the view just on the east side of the tunnel, looking east:

1619135105094.png

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Once it stopped snowing, I could see the tunnel so it should be fairly clear when we do get moving. Been sitting for well over an hour. And it seems they closed westbound also while they cleared up some wreckage.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Once it stopped snowing, I could see the tunnel so it should be fairly clear when we do get moving. Been sitting for well over an hour. And it seems they closed westbound also while they cleared up some wreckage.
Be safe.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
What a glorious surprise @Snowfan and I had today at Breck.

...There we met CJ Mueller and friend getting on the lift and rode up together with them. I made some 8s above 6 Chair in CJ's honor.
Dougs 8s.jpg
View attachment 131281
I know the line should have been straight but I was following the best snow not going for points.

@Doug Briggs making those 8's.

Last edited:
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Copper today, like a box of chocolates ~~

Nice pics. Look at the crowds on those runs. :ogbiggrin: I was telling @tball how nice it was yesterday. One minute heavy snow and 15 minutes later the sun wanted to come out and then 15 minutes later more heavy snow. And the snow was really good everywhere. I'm sure you could smell the wood burning or maybe even saw the smoke. They started on the Kokomo traverse. Yesterday definitely had more of a winter feeling and not end of season.

What an I70 shit show if you were leaving Copper. Vail Pass was closed a bunch. And then the accidents on both sides of the tunnel. Yikes. I hope everyone is ok. I heard traffic was diverted off of I70 into Dillon and parking lots were full of motorists. And then there were those that thought they could take Loveland Pass but they did a safety closure on the Pass so many got stuck going that way. Glad you made it ok.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Oh, yeah, I left out that Timberline was ski-on yesterday. Usually I had entire runs to myself.

And Tuesday at Copper was stellar. Groomed runs topped with 6" of snow, chopped up by 1st shift. I skied 2nd shift ... Copperfield, which I began calling "CHopperfield", looked like meringue that someone had pulled into thousands of peaks. I did not want to leave or allow the groomers to mess up my playground.

I was toward the front of the pack at the tunnel yesterday. At a standstill for 3 hours. Watched about 2" of snow fall around us. Then the sun came out and reduced it to icy slop. Then more snow. Felt like I was watching seasons change right before my eyes.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Another pleasant day at Breckenridge. And the 10th day in a row I've skied.

IMG_20210423_082351728.jpg
A little more fresh snow overnight makes this seen look almost wintery.

IMG_20210423_103233179.jpg
I didn't see CJ but I did ski his trail on Peak 7. Down CJs, a shift to the left and then down in to Magic Carpet and beyond. A tad lumpy, but quite skiable and without the 'loud' factor we've had for a while before all our new snow.

A final run in Ptarmigan finished the day. Very pleasant above tree line and a bit used in the lower meadow.

strava3411089167820894277.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online