• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I take it you now need to get to the base of Peak 8 to access the hill? Any idea of when they go to weekends only?

Yes, Peak 8 is the only access.

I am not aware that they are going to weekends only.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Little squalls all day in WP and bouts of intense fog in between bright sun.

Variable snow to say the least...from sublime in sleeper and iron horse trees and Narrow Guage and sleeper bumps to good for you snow on some of the groomers. Crust over shave-ice and snow that made wierd noises. And downright teeth chattering in places where the sun had already melted last nights snow but the wind had refrozen it, so 4" ruts with little ice chunks that gave way to soft spring snow toward the bottom. I left about 1pm. Maybe it will be nice slush bumps by now. And it might be winter atop Pano but it wasn't open.

You can see one of the squalls in the distance
20210505_114951.jpg
Strange noisy snow that sort of groaned as it was skied. This was the nice stuff...
20210505_114956.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The goodness keeps falling from the sky.

The wind and fresh deposits of snow keep filling in the previous day's use. The under layer is not hard or slabby. It's Goldilocks snow. There were places where it wasn't soft but rather loud and hard but those were not in the main lines. Just the access sections. The main lines were pretty nice for all runs.

20210505_133204.jpg Visibility was pretty low at the top of Imperial. Rocks. Check. Caution. Check.

20210505_134704.jpg
Looking down CJ's from the near half way.

20210505_140912(0).jpg
Copper, Tucker and Jacques Peak. Visibility has improved for the final run on 7.

20210505_152049(0).jpg
7 is closed and I finish up in North Bowl.

20210505_152055.jpg
It is looking like winter again on the Ten Mile Range.

20210505_152058.jpg
Clouds obscure the Front Range.

strava3556949646687938797.jpg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Little squalls all day in WP and bouts of intense fog in between bright sun.

Variable snow to say the least...from sublime in sleeper and iron horse trees and Narrow Guage and sleeper bumps to good for you snow on some of the groomers. Crust over shave-ice and snow that made wierd noises. And downright teeth chattering in places where the sun had already melted last nights snow but the wind had refrozen it, so 4" ruts with little ice chunks that gave way to soft spring snow toward the bottom. I left about 1pm. Maybe it will be nice slush bumps by now. And it might be winter atop Pano but it wasn't open.

You can see one of the squalls in the distance
View attachment 133077
Strange noisy snow that sort of groaned as it was skied. This was the nice stuff...
View attachment 133078

Man, great detail!
But.....

I skied M.J. too, but was first chair and left by noon. I'm confused. Were we at the same area? I think it was me earlier, on more open runs, with you guys later, more in the trees and bumps, dunno. All fun spring skiing, though.

Pano was actually open (and will be through this Sunday, I was told); lots of folks I went up on the lifts with had been up there and described it as colder - a place to cool off if one got too hot down below. At the top of the Super Gauge lift, we could see lots of skiers up on Pano, chairs in motion, every time I thought to look.

But I stuck to the lower slopes, on powder/crud 108 width skis that made it feel like smooth cream cheese or butter.
Even in the bumps, the fresh snow made things more forgiving, slower - same in the few trees I tried.
(Because the 4" of fresh was wetter, it had the resistance and maybe similar total water content of ~6" of a bit drier snow - the same 6" maybe that hit Loveland up higher, dunno.)

Anyway, no one was skiing in a lot of places, so run after run there was smooth, creamy powder, unbroken or unbroken between crisscrossing lines, mostly, up until I left.

A great spring powder/chop kinda day.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. Because of all the recent snowfall, and excellent coverage, Winter Park closing has been pushed ahead from this Sunday, May 9,
to the next Sunday, May 16.

Up through May 9th, three lifts will be open: frontside (Super Gauge), Sunnyside and Pano.

But from Monday on until closing day, only one lift, Super Gauge, will be open. Well worth it.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, great detail!
But.....

I skied M.J. too, but was first chair and left by noon. I'm confused. Were we at the same area? I think it was me earlier, on more open runs, with you guys later, more in the trees and bumps, dunno. All fun spring skiing, though.

Pano was actually open (and will be through this Sunday, I was told); lots of folks I went up on the lifts with had been up there and described it as colder - a place to cool off if one got too hot down below. At the top of the Super Gauge lift, we could see lots of skiers up on Pano, chairs in motion, every time I thought to look.

But I stuck to the lower slopes, on powder/crud 108 width skis that made it feel like smooth cream cheese or butter.
Even in the bumps, the fresh snow made things more forgiving, slower - same in the few trees I tried.
(Because the 4" of fresh was wetter, it had the resistance and maybe similar total water content of ~6" of a bit drier snow - the same 6" maybe that hit Loveland up higher, dunno.)

Anyway, no one was skiing in a lot of places, so run after run there was smooth, creamy powder, unbroken or unbroken between crisscrossing lines, mostly, up until I left.

A great spring powder/chop kinda day.
Pano lift line was roped off when I got there at around 11 am I think. I found the trees and bumps to be sublime as I said. I should have followed you onto the open slopes as you clearly had better instincts in choices than I did!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi! Yeah, that came off a little hard on you. Didn't mean that. Sorry.
Sounds like you hit a fine share of the good stuff too, then got hung up a bit where I had good luck avoiding stuff I didn't know I was missing.
I also just missed seeing the results of that rope off, I guess. Early on, Pano took all the pressure off the frontside. The wind must have gotten worse.

All told, Mary Jane sure can be swell right now, eh? :)

(And that has not always been true this year, maybe.)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Just when you thought it couldn't get much better...

I picked up today at 11 where I left off yesterday. Two wind filled runs on Powder 8s was a good start.

IMG_20210506_114020212_crop.jpg
The run lives up to its name.

IMG_20210506_115858664.jpg
Lots of runs on George's followed this one. This aspect was pretty wintery.

strava-462137542.jpg
Fun dense snow that was very predictable. It was a bit of a 'wow' day.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^the best days with that deep blue sky. Excellent. We are hitting A-Basin in the morning and closing out a weird LL season in the afternoon. Or something like that.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A-basin was also amazing today. Lots of wonderful cream cheese as the different aspects softened, some still untracked from the storm.

My highlight was a couple of runs in far Zuma Cornice. Found untracked and I think it had been closed for a while, so not bumped up underneath:

PXL_20210506_180739456.jpg

PXL_20210506_173531688.MP.jpg

The Beavers was also super fun in the open terrain at first, then eventually the trees as they softened nicely:

PXL_20210506_182733913.jpg

PXL_20210506_203048283.jpg

Pali never fully softened. Fun enough I still kept going back for more. Should be great tomorrow.

PXL_20210506_211657639.jpg

I was planning on hiking the East Wall but didn't think it fully softened either. I was also having so much fun elsewhere I didn't want to spend the time and energy. Guessing tomorrow will be great on both Pali and East Wall with the even warmer temps.

PXL_20210506_224131269.PORTRAIT.jpg

Lower mountain bumps were in prime spring condition.

PXL_20210506_224140194.PORTRAIT.jpg

Garmin Connect 2021-05-06 21-10-01.png
Not many days left like these. Get up there if you can!

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For a little change of pace...

I went to Loveland today with my friend, K. It was a terrific morning of groomer skiing. We hit every lift, I think. 1, 2, 6, 9 and 4 (Edit: Ptarmigan, too!). DU was up there training on Firecut but only two(?) racers so seeing them actually on the course was kind of catch as catch can.

IMG_20210507_110851765.jpg

IMG_20210507_111356744.jpg

IMG_20210507_111358038.jpg
Nice on the groomers and off piste was nice, too. No hiking, just easy fun skiing.

To top it all off, we saw a Pine Marten, too!

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No school today... so time for Slush Bump School at the Jane!

PXL_20210507_191116265.jpg

It was the first time there for the boy. Unprovoked, he said, "Papa, these are some really nice bumps!"

There were top-shelf bumps lines on almost every run. Look at the left side of Sterling:

PXL_20210507_191233205.jpg

The boy crashed going too fast in that zipper line and ended up with a boot packed solid full of slush. Only then I learned he forgot to put on his ski socks. That was one cold foot! Video coming. :roflmao:

PXL_20210507_191825891.jpg

We had so much fun. The only bummer was Lewis Sweet Shop in Empire was closed.

Man, I've missed the bumps at the Jane. It's been 5 years since I've been to the Jane, for various reasons. That's the longest since I learned to ski there at 15 when the church youth group dropped me at the top of the Jane trail with no instruction.

The bumps at the Jane really are unmatched. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We went to A-Basin, a little late and quickly hit the stop and go snow, but it was gorgeous, clouds came in for a bit, and the good slush released its hold.

21825E28-F442-488A-855A-8FD6F0E9C3F8.jpeg 604460A2-A8A8-44E1-A86F-45FD1F00F25C.jpeg D50A76CD-B602-4996-817A-3455BCE5395A.jpeg D1554C4B-7D8B-4C5D-A5F7-E6D7B33B47A4.jpeg
And then over to Loveland for (most likely) a goodbye to a season that really wasn’t. It felt like Loveland should feel, and the snow felt like Loveland on a warm afternoon (quads flexed, toes up). We did get up 9, there was some really good groomer adjacent frozen corn for a series or two of turns, and then home.

66E77216-597C-4179-A0AF-534B34D000AC.jpeg

0ACF787D-ED6B-45E2-A55B-410A35CBF794.jpeg A nice tour and man was it nice to ski without a mask on the south side of the pass and have lunch inside BML (we’re vaxxed but apparently not properly waxed). Ran into Al and chatted a bit, and then I renewed my season pass because not having an A-Basin pass is dumb. Especially as Loveland continues to get more touristy. May skiing rocks.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Also, Mother’s Day is looking like coral reef skiing. A good freeze of the current melt without anything on top and no sun to warm it.

I’m planning to hit A-basin day after the storm cycle ends if all goes well. This year’s pass is going to end up being worth it.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Kudos to A-Basin for offering free vaccinations and Bacon Bloody Marys at The Beach this Sunday afternoon.

I'm already vaccinated. But hopefully this will help with the target community (20-29 year olds) in Summit County who are currently the local age group lowest in Covid vaccination rate.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Some A-Basin passholder appreciation. A bit of an upgrade from Meet the Beaver and trail map snowflakes in exchange for (limited) hot chocolate.

4895FD57-6188-42F0-9EBB-E21D2B112BF6.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We don't usually get many Pow Chaser reports this late in the season but this looks good for y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.