• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was up for a couple hours this morning and it was really coming down. Much of that came down while I was skiing.

We were up at ABasin and it snowed most of the afternoon. Had to be several inches dropped by the time we left. Heavy but made all the runs more fun for us.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As promised, here's a little video from Mary Jane last Friday, May 8th, my son's first time skiing there.

The conditions were perfect slush bumps with fantastic coverage. With the storm today, they are set for great skiing through closing Sunday. Sorry for the shaky video. I didn't bring my helmet cam, so I had my phone in one hand and poles in the other.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Unless it's another shit show like yesterday

Do tell - Ikon horde? We need data points on ability to ski late season!?!

I never try to ski powder this time of year anymore, it’s not worth it. Day 1.5 after when the sun is out before it goes sticky is the target (I missed by a day last week).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The season that keeps on giving.

Today's report was for 5". Much of that fell yesterday while the area was open but apparently noone (besides me) was there using it up, so today Horseshoe, Imperial and North Bowls were fresh and fun. The first two were a bit lumpy underneath but easy to charge on. That latter was delightful with yet another rope drop and fresh tracks until I had to leave.

IMG_20210511_093935.jpg
Coming over the nose and down to picnic table was remarkably nice. Below picnic table was superb.

IMG_20210511_094005.jpg
Baldy was in the sun while the summit of Breck was had a bit less vis.

IMG_20210511_104221.jpg
Going around for another lap on Imperial. Due to the poor upper mountain visibility, Whale's Tail (and beyond) didn't open when hoped. It may have later, but looking out the window, I doubt it. EDIT: it did open but not too many tracks and it closes in 15 minutes. :)

IMG_20210511_123101.jpg
The snow on my back stair railing was pretty neat.

strava718356857718122044.jpg

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I never try to ski powder this time of year anymore, it’s not worth it. Day 1.5 after when the sun is out before it goes sticky is the target (I missed by a day last week).
:eek: :(

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

sorry should have clarified. It was in reference to the I70 closures. ogsmile

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Gtown west uphill was messed up for zero reason at 2ish. Basin was great. Pali alley laps were better end of day vs start. I’d get up there for tomorrow but I can’t.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Holy powder day! One of the best days of the season at Mary Jane.

It is cold enough and few enough people that tomorrow morning out to be great too. I can't go but someone here should get after it!
They said 6 inches but it was definitely more and cold enough to stay light.

Skied onto the lift every run; virtually no one else on the slopes. Snowed all afternoon with free refills. It was boot top on the open groomed runs and thigh deep in the trees I skied. (OK so I am very short ...but still!) Mid winter snow with just enough moisture to cover the crunchies.

I started on Sleeper trees to middle Arrowhead Loop to Iron Horse trees.. Then found the most amazing mostly untouched snow in the upper Arrowhead Loop trees that start skiers' right of the trail just after crossing under the top of Iron Horse lift line. I lapped that until I wore myself out. Should still be fantastic tomorrow.

20210511_141454.jpg
Even the groomers were amazing. 3 pm

upper Arrowhead Loop trees
20210511_145337.jpg
Today will fuel my daydreams all summer long! :yahoo:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Wow! Man, I wish I could get up sooner, but it looks like Friday at MJ for me if anyone wants to make some laps.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Holy powder day! One of the best days of the season at Mary Jane.

It is cold enough and few enough people that tomorrow morning out to be great too. I can't go but someone here should get after it!
They said 6 inches but it was definitely more and cold enough to stay light.

Skied onto the lift every run; virtually no one else on the slopes. Snowed all afternoon with free refills. It was boot top on the open groomed runs and thigh deep in the trees I skied. (OK so I am very short ...but still!) Mid winter snow with just enough moisture to cover the crunchies.

I started on Sleeper trees to middle Arrowhead Loop to Iron Horse trees.. Then found the most amazing mostly untouched snow in the upper Arrowhead Loop trees that start skiers' right of the trail just after crossing under the top of Iron Horse lift line. I lapped that until I wore myself out. Should still be fantastic tomorrow.

View attachment 133546
Even the groomers were amazing. 3 pm

upper Arrowhead Loop trees
View attachment 133545
Today will fuel my daydreams all summer long! :yahoo:
So spectacular! Thanks for all the detail, just wonderful!!!!!!

( I made the mistake of going to A Basin instead today, the Beavers, which was good, but no where near as much snow, still crust underneath there most of the day.
I have business up in Summit County the rest of the week, so will probably ski there again, as much as I'd like to hit MJ.)

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As promised, here's a little video from Mary Jane last Friday, May 8th, my son's first time skiing there.

The conditions were perfect slush bumps with fantastic coverage. With the storm today, they are set for great skiing through closing Sunday. Sorry for the shaky video. I didn't bring my helmet cam, so I had my phone in one hand and poles in the other.

Awesome! Kiddos rock!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online