• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
The Summit at Snoqualmie just put out their update on winter operations
No reservation system, but they did encourage people to ski on off days ... etc. and will be employing some crowd reducing tactics. My understanding is that they will be limiting ski school enrollment and preventing most if not all of the concierge ski schools from operating this year. Normally there are upward o 50 private ski schools that operate at Snoqualmie making weekends a madhouse. My guess is that eliminating these is a very easy way to reduce crowds. We tend to ski at Alpental and my understanding is that they are setting limits on enrollment in the mountain run ski programs which should also reduce crowds quite a bit. Will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Official high temp today at my home weather station (Denver), 103.1ºF that is just crazy. Its the highest temp I have recorded all year. I have driven to the Mtns a few times including this afternoon and I have yet to see any color (fall foliage). This next storm might screw it up big time if it comes with a lot of wind.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
  • Confirmed that parking reservations will be the limiting factor to reduce the skiers to the state/county capacity restrictions that are still being worked out. There will be no lift reservation system. If you can get to the resort, you'll be able to get on the lift.
  • Great news for homeowners and those renting a place at Copper. :ogbiggrin: Make those reservations now!
  • Indoor capacity will be limited to 50 people max regardless of the size of the facility. Bring a lunch!
  • Opening up additional indoor space like the conference center, and adding picnic tables and other outdoor seating.
  • Ski racers will be training prior to the Nov 30th opening.
  • Still working with the state and county on details. The state was very focused on the reopening of schools and is now turning their efforts to the ski industry.

50 people max is going to be the tough one. I'm just remembering the days last season when they had all the conference rooms open and people were sitting all over the place on the floors. I sat outside more than once last season. Depending on my schedule I probably will be again. And there is always the Edge

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
A nice approx 10-15 inches for the Front Range, very nice for September ogsmile
F386DB74-1F36-42A6-BFC2-3373003B54CC.png
In terms of the seasonal forecast, it doesn’t look too bad for Colorado at all IMO. Something to be positive about at least for that side of the Rockies.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Did some backcountry recon today. Verified that a Caltopo spot would be pretty awesome mellow bowl skiing of about 1000' . That sorta hippy pow @Slim likes. Drop in is about 1500' and 1.5mi from a very popular trailhead, but I've never heard of anyone skiing it. Perhaps it gets totally windblasted...or windloaded? Will have to skin up to confirm this winter.

Felt like fall up high. 45F at the trailhead. Now 90+ in Denver.

118858560_10102251533550540_8057319305872553647_o.jpg

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll be reporting from Ouray and Silverton on Wednesday. It will be nice to see some flakes and rain after record breaking temps here in AZ all summer.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Summer ends tonight. Finally! Bye bye smoke and heat.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Because all our trees have leaves on them right now. We get lots of inches of snow that sits on them, it's going to break off a ton of big limbs.
We had snow over trees with leaves in New England several years ago. Yep, it was a mess. Power was out for quite a while.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes, this is some of the worst air quality I've seen all season. The time-series graph is from the Copper fire station.

Map - PurpleAir 2020-09-07 12-41-54.png

I hope you are doing OK @Doug Briggs if you are riding the Colorado Trail today as you mentioned!

Status
Not open for further replies.