• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Bigger question is does this storm get Lenawee open at A-Basin? They are going to open that terrain before LL gets anything significant open that is comparable.

That will probably be my next day. Must at least recon. The more I watch LL this season the happier I am that I got the A-Basin pass, too.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Second cup of coffee thoughts.

I think restaurants need to reopen so that people spend all of their money eating out instead of shit showing Loveland 7 days a week.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Second cup of coffee thoughts.

I think restaurants need to reopen so that people spend all of their money eating out instead of shit showing Loveland 7 days a week.

Uphill battle with 9" of fresh in a year without much snow.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
all things considered, this is not bad for 11:35

View attachment 115818

Clearly the Thanksgiving week is impacting the weekday ski volume. I fully expect Wednesday to look just like this past Sunday. It was 10-15 minutes in the corral per run. I honestly have never seen LL like that in 20 years of skiing there (except for the very first lift on a powder day).

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Clearly the Thanksgiving week is impacting the weekday ski volume. I fully expect Wednesday to look just like this past Sunday. It was 10-15 minutes in the corral per run. I honestly have never seen LL like that in 20 years of skiing there (except for the very first lift on a powder day).
Agreed.
I hope it’s not a harbinger of things to come.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Ehh, I'm going with the expectation of waiting a bit. I'll think of my EC days of skiing for 5 minutes and waiting for 30.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
all things considered, this is not bad for 11:35
It was 10-15 minutes in the corral per run. I honestly have never seen LL like that in 20 years of skiing there (except for the very first lift on a powder day).
I hope all the areas can get more lifts open soon. I don't think the crowds at this level are sustainable politically while everything else is increasingly restricted, and the virus is out of control and growing exponentially.

There was a protest on main street in Breck yesterday:

“Schools are shut down,” Cooper said. “I can’t even go see my therapist because offices are shut down. My work closed — which is my livelihood — but tourists are flooding in, and it’s not OK. If you’re going to close everything else down … and then let tourists come in to short-term rentals and let Vail (Resorts) stay open … it just seems incredibly unfair.”

The A-basin base is webcam is still offline. I think we all know why.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Ehh, I'm going with the expectation of waiting a bit. I'll think of my EC days of skiing for 5 minutes and waiting for 30.
Ahhh, those were the good old days, weren't they?
The skiing sucked, but we had the times of our lives!
:daffy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
“Schools are shut down,” Cooper said. “I can’t even go see my therapist because offices are shut down. My work closed — which is my livelihood — but tourists are flooding in, and it’s not OK. If you’re going to close everything else down … and then let tourists come in to short-term rentals and let Vail (Resorts) stay open … it just seems incredibly unfair.”
She has a point.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't think the crowds at this level are sustainable politically while everything else is increasingly restricted, and the virus is out of control and growing exponentially.

did you read comments on the article? and many others.

I guess the move that confused me was CDHPE now has to ability to take control of hospital admissions and transfers. I mean I thought hospitals were already doing that with getting people to a lower altitude. Maybe I didn't understand the 9News spin?

And CDOT has already put out a request.

"CDOT is asking residents around the state to minimize nonessential travel during the holiday week due to poor road conditions and the COVID-19 pandemic."

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The main issue is that VRBO's and AirBnB's are operating unrestricted (this is true in Summit County and Winter Park) so you get the influx of tourists but not the services needed to cater to them. I dont usually like government control but under the circumstances those short term rentals should not operate unabated.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
The main issue is that VRBO's and AirBnB's are operating unrestricted (this is true in Summit County and Winter Park) so you get the influx of tourists but not the services needed to cater to them. I dont usually like government control but under the circumstances those short term rentals should not operate unabated.
I think I understand what you are saying. How would you select what short term rentals get to open? That would be a sticky slope. Or are you saying there should not be short terms? If the latter , then VR should have limited out of town pass sales, which drastically hurt the revenues of the everyone and VR would not be able to run close to a profit or minimal losses. Its a juggling act that a lot businesses have to deal with, including myself.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
This season could be a catalyst for resort towns to dramatically change how short term rentals are forced to operate.

I could see something coming up that restricts direct rentals over a platform, and forces all short term rentals to be down through an LLC or management company.

People can still rent out their places. But there would be businesses on the line to enact and enforce standards, and for the town or county to fine etc

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Steamboat is holding its collective breath right now. In speaking to a couple biz owners and general banter about town, everyone is wondering what we will do with the tourists coming in. 100% take out and reduced retail capacity and a dearth of snow on the mountain.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The main issue is that VRBO's and AirBnB's are operating unrestricted (this is true in Summit County and Winter Park)

As of this past weekend, at least in Summit, you cannot have more than one household in a short term rental. So not quite unrestricted, but not massively restricted either.

How would you select what short term rentals get to open?

No need to restrict *which* STRs get to stay open. Simply say all STRs have maximum occupancy of 50% of nights, those found in violation face fines in (a significant) proportion to their rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online