• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I went Monday (day 5, sheesh). By this date last year, I was at 19.

I wanted to go today. Wednesday; got ready; didn't go. Call it intuition/reluctance/discouragement after Monday.

Amazing crowds today.

On Monday, a few things, maybe:
1. It was much more crowded than last season, which was in turn the most crowded I can recall.
( Last year, there were still almost no lines, especially compared to Monday.)
2. I went late (in line by 11:45), hoping for shorter lines in the afternoon. The lines didn't get shorter until almost 2 p.m., and took until 2:30 to get to what would have been normal maximum last year at this date. (The lines were mostly gone a bit later, 2:45, for those who might profit from this, should it continue.)
2. Many of the older guys, the regulars, who get to LL early were no longer in evidence, even after I saw them early on a week or more ago, prepared to press onward and upwards. (I thought I'd see them going as I was coming, but even late last week they were coming less.)
3. What was in evidence were lots of folks, of all ages, who wanted to tell you how they think this Covid thing is overblown. Many expressions of Covid fatigue, you might call it. Their face masks were here and there below their noses as they were talking. They pulled em up half-heartedly as they were reminded by the lift folks, occasionally. (This correcting was happening more than a week or so ago.)
4. The crowd reminded me of the restless young that were filling the city parks last summer, where before those parks were almost empty. There were lots of young folk in line who are doing the "no nose" or "minimal nose" cover thing, or whose masks were continually slipping, even as many of them have masks so thin you can almost see through them. I watched them double up on the lifts, triple up, even go full chair with strangers, as if we were at a mixer almost. With an air of low key defiance. And again, the first thing they are apt to say is, "I'm not worried, not a big deal," or some such thing.
5. As a single, the people behind me in line were often, even usually, pressing up into my line space, since one person can't occupy it so well. And every trip up folks are asking if they can ride up with me, no big deal. For me, this is worrisome. And has a cumulative effect.
6. "You Betchyer Life" seems to be the game show we are playing.

And yet, the snow was grand, even on Monday. Upper Richards - the Spillway? - was open, and great! My skis were wonderful, just so dialed already. And the slopes were not so crowded, no problem there.

So today I didn't go.
Wonder if I will tomorrow. :wave:

Perfect example of the nose out mask:

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.08.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.08.22 AM.png

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Happy (post) Thanksgiving, everyone. Breck is at 52" which is 105% of average, so things aren't hideous yet. I'm glad to hear about the opening of trails on Peak 9. Yesterday we did a run down Sawmill to ride the Superconnect, just because.

After an hour or so with no lines at Breck early yesterday morning, I enjoyed a take-out dinner with my roommates. Along with a couple of these and a screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Pretty gosh darn mellow.

IMG_20201126_122705106.jpg

Peace out and pray for snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Happy (post) Thanksgiving, everyone. Breck is at 52" which is 105% of average, so things aren't hideous yet. I'm glad to hear about the opening of trails on Peak 9. Yesterday we did a run down Sawmill to ride the Superconnect, just because.

After an hour or so with no lines at Breck early yesterday morning, I enjoyed a take-out dinner with my roommates. Along with a couple of these and a screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Pretty gosh darn mellow.

View attachment 116117

Peace out and pray for snow.

How is the Alpine? Should be quite decent with the favorable aspect.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
How is the Alpine? Should be quite decent with the favorable aspect.
Our snow has fallen without a lot of wind so things are nicely covered. Still a long way from opening Horseshoe or anything above treeline, but all in all, I'm happy with the way things have been going. The north side of 9 (under E-chair) shows promise.

IMG_20201127_115815859_HDR.jpg
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
HOLY SH*T the comments on Snow Basin's FB page are crazy, half are outraged and the other half think they shouldn't have to wear a mask. Glad that's not my home mountain.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I heard A-Basin was pretty chill today but thats relative

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I heard A-Basin was pretty chill today but thats relative

Thought I'd drop by Luv for a few quick laps since I was in the area. Lift lines were still 12-15min at 2pm :-/.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
We're dealing with clear repercussions from all of the great posts about LL we have put up on a public web site over the years...

I think LL is a release valve for the rest of the Front Range right now, because they aren’t restricting ticket sales. And why not if people are willing day after day to stand in socially distanced lines with a chair running at half capacity for the same lap?

People who remained employed generally have extra $$$ in their pockets and are willing to spend it to finally get out of the house and do something “normal”.

Disasters create winners and losers and generally speaking, people who can ski a lot get ahead in times like these. Fair? No. Reality? Yes.

Never waste a crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor