• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, looks like there is really good coverage up high say above 11.2k? Lower down looks boney still.
Things are filling in with blown snow in places up high, but all of 7 is wind affected. There were a few nice patrol lines in Outlaw and Brill's today. That might open soonish? Just guessing, though. While the coverage may look uniform, I'm not convinced it is deep enough or even skiable given all the wind.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
How is Imperial looking Doug? Any chance the upper face of peak 8 is feasible (Whales Tail/George's/Horseshoe)?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Looks awesome. Coverage looks really good and not far from solid. Maybe a foot more?

How is the sundance area skiing?
coverage was good for the most part where we skied but we know the mountain so we avoided areas that still need much more snow.

Sunshine area? We didnt go over there. that is mostly likely in decent shape. the lower area near Sundown lift was in desperate need of a lot of snow. I imagine its much improved.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
How is Imperial looking Doug? Any chance the upper face of peak 8 is feasible (Whales Tail/George's/Horseshoe)?
Peak 7:
IMG_20210107_083235717_HDR.jpg
It was covered in wind-affected dunes of snow yesterday. It is hard to see but there are crowns pretty much from edge to edge in this photo. Art's got dropped as did Whale's Tail although WT is not to ground. But maybe it should be?

IMG_20210107_083238673_HDR.jpg
George's got blown clear to the ground by wind.

Peak 6 looks OK:
IMG_20210107_083250944.jpg
But anything from 6 1/2 and south is sketchy.

IMG_1874.JPG
Imperial is not deep. Horseshoe looks ok but the north side has been brought down with bombs and is just recovering. As I mentioned earlier, Brill's and Outlaw skied well for patrol a day or two ago. Getting there is going to be a challenge. The rocks above these two runs are not well covered.

I expect that patrol is going to be pretty cautious with opening up upper level terrain due to how 7 slid. Just guessing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Peak 7:
View attachment 120294
It was covered in wind-affected dunes of snow yesterday. It is hard to see but there are crowns pretty much from edge to edge in this photo. Art's got dropped as did Whale's Tail although WT is not to ground. But maybe it should be?

View attachment 120295
George's got blown clear to the ground by wind.

Peak 6 looks OK:
View attachment 120296
But anything from 6 1/2 and south is sketchy.

View attachment 120297
Imperial is not deep. Horseshoe looks ok but the north side has been brought down with bombs and is just recovering. As I mentioned earlier, Brill's and Outlaw skied well for patrol a day or two ago. Getting there is going to be a challenge. The rocks above these two runs are not well covered.

I expect that patrol is going to be pretty cautious with opening up upper level terrain due to how 7 slid. Just guessing.

This a HUGE slide. Wow.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 2.45.39 PM.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big milestone. My son skied A lift at Copper for the first time Monday, and we had a blast. Much more interesting than being stuck on groomers all day. Glad to be able to embrace the suck and ski the rocks on the mile-long bumps!

PXL_20210104_174958259.jpg
PXL_20210104_174841226.jpg
PXL_20210104_174645273.jpg

How's that ^^^ for the best Covid base area? ogsmile

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Who gets to park in the lot across the road from the lift's base?

I've only ridden that chair once or twice. I miss Copper. I'm going to miss it some more this year. :-|

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For someone that likes the bumps, or can tolerate them for a run, that is great access.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is also a steep run that is once a week groomed into that same lift, and two other runs not shown to the east that stay ungroomed all season.

Once the season is fully under way, and the coverage is adequate, the run shown in @tball's pics under the A lift is once a week half groomed - that is, one side gets groomed while the other side stays bumps.

That lift is my fall back this year also, cure for groomer burnout. (Though my main cure for that is race skis and near race skis - so many different kinds.)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Big milestone. My son skied A lift at Copper for the first time Monday, and we had a blast. Much more interesting than being stuck on groomers all day. Glad to be able to embrace the suck and ski the rocks on the mile-long bumps!

View attachment 120308
View attachment 120307
View attachment 120306

How's that ^^^ for the best Covid base area? ogsmile

Oh I went down that area on a big pow day and the bumps were still huge under a foot of snow. If was VERY tough skiing. I was beat at the bottom. The runs themselves would be perfect, fall line skiing, if it they were not skied out most of the time. Very very long and consistent pitches.

But I would not advertise that lift here unless you want it to be packed next time you go there. :roflmao:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes, probably 6 - 7 foot (or more) crowns in places. Those are patrollers for scale just to the right of the haul rope near the horizon.

This is one of those years that are a nightmare for ski patrol. Once we get more snow it will get even more sketchy. I remember during the 2011-2012 season there were some "inbounds" avalanches in Colorado resorts.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
View attachment 120278

I think this trail sign says it all. From today's skin at LL. Couldn't believe how many people were in the lot at 6:30 am some to skin of course, but quite a few waiting for the lifts to open.

Yea that really does say it all. Sigh.

*waits for Feb*

My oldest son headed back to school in Gunnison today and I think we’ll use a Monarch day or three before another LL day since we have a condo leased there (that’s actually really nice).

I’ve decided that it is only ethical at this point to look at these years:

72576201-C50B-48A0-A809-8C40F52CF2A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yea that really does say it all. Sigh.

*waits for Feb*

My oldest son headed back to school in Gunnison today and I think we’ll use a Monarch day or three before another LL day since we have a condo leased there (that’s actually really nice).

I’ve decided that it is only ethical at this point to look at these years:

View attachment 120346

Hill starts getting good at 8 SWE or more... gonna take another month at this pace...at least

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Pali on Wednesday. Snow was great! Soft and/or wind buffed. And I skied Pali! First time on the new knee.

Anyway, the second paragraph is to say, we only skied it once. Snow was great, just not nearly enough of it. Some of you know my tolerance for rocks and grass, and even this was too much for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online