• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
*waits for Feb*
Yeah, Jan is not looking good for my 2nd trip of the season. I had originally planned on driving back to CO on the 15th-16th of Jan, but postponed it to the 23rd-24th due to lack of coverage. Was hoping to ski with some friends the week of the 24th. However, if storms don't start showing up in second half of Jan, I may postpone coming until 12th of Feb.

Have not even used my LL weekday pass, yet. :(

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well I have resigned myself to the fact that we just need to make the best of the low snow however we can. At least we're skiing. I spent the morning doin' some groomer zoomin' at LL. Beautiful bluebird day with some fresh cord and some nice stiff carving skis. It's not a powder day, but I was still smiling on the hero snow. Just so grippy that you could totally trust it and lay 'em over. :)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
News tonight had a segment about the "Mega Ridge" that is coming into CO. Warm and dry for an extended period. Looks like this storm may be the last bit of precip for some time, but of course I think we're all fairly use to having a dry January in CO.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
A little moisture hopefully on the 17th but yeah that ridge is pushing it all north. At least more in bounds terrain is opening.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Both that and the Jones pass slide had SAR deployed according to CAIC. We require hunters to pass a safety class and buy an annual license to pay for the cost associated with that form or recreation I believe it is time we do the same for winter backcountry users.
That's a really good idea. I'm sure the logistics would be a challenge, but I bet some smart guy/gal could figure it out. Mandatory training and licensing to be allowed to BC ski on state and federal lands. Would make it much safer for everyone and possibly fund improvements and access.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Both that and the Jones pass slide had SAR deployed according to CAIC. We require hunters to pass a safety class and buy an annual license to pay for the cost associated with that form or recreation I believe it is time we do the same for winter backcountry users.

it is possible to purchase a search and rescue card from the state. And education does not insure an educated person won’t be involved in an avalanche. Avalanche education is not inexpensive and it isn’t clear that education reduces human caused avalanches. Avalanches are low probability high consequence events. A very tough decision making problem.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
it is possible to purchase a search and rescue card from the state. And education does not insure an educated person won’t be involved in an avalanche. Avalanche education is not inexpensive and it isn’t clear that education reduces human caused avalanches. Avalanches are low probability high consequence events. A very tough decision making problem.
It's also possible for someone to shoot an animal without a hunting license, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have hunting licenses. Someone can, and frequently do, shoot guns without training, yet we still require hunter education to legally hunt. So we just stop requiring licenses and education because some don't abide by the rules?

And avalanche education absolutely lowers risks, if for nothing else, by teaching people what to look for and hopefully make informed decisions that are more safe than someone without the knowledge. I wish every person I came in contact with in the backcountry had avalanche safety training. It would definitely help lower risks for everyone involved.

Maybe I am just slow, but your reasoning seems fairly nonsensical to me.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I think this stuff is reinforcing for people who have had education, but then education of any type is only as good as applied.

There was an avy death outside of Park City yesterday, with social media full of Wasatch backcountry vids on steep enough terrain.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It's also possible for someone to shoot an animal without a hunting license, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have hunting licenses. Someone can, and frequently do, shoot guns without training, yet we still require hunter education to legally hunt. So we just stop requiring licenses and education because some don't abide by the rules?

And avalanche education absolutely lowers risks, if for nothing else, by teaching people what to look for and hopefully make informed decisions that are more safe than someone without the knowledge. I wish every person I came in contact with in the backcountry had avalanche safety training. It would definitely help lower risks for everyone involved.

Maybe I am just slow, but your reasoning seems fairly nonsensical to me.

There is a debate in the avalanche profession about whether avalanche education actually reduces human caused avalanches. Here's a quote from a member of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center:

“These are small numbers, but this would suggest that there were more people with advanced experience and avalanche education getting involved in accidents after the shutdown and any increase in accidents was not due to more beginners getting into trouble,” he said.

We require hunting licenses because we need to control the harvest of wildlife. Firearms are a danger to other hunters. And while avalanches triggered by one party can affect another, most of the avalanches involving humans are triggered by the person who is caught or by someone in their own party.

We don't require licenses to hike in the wilderness. We don't require licenses to climb in most location in America, and there are far more calls to search and rescue for non-avalanche related outdoor activities.

Requiring education would ensure that only those with significant financial means would participate and use our public lands in winter. Not very egalitarian.

Still, I do believe that folk who are going into the backcountry in winter should learn how to safely travel in the backcountry. I think avalanche training is useful, but it isn't a panacea.

I think your suggestion was well intentioned, but to me it is impractical, discriminatory, and frankly smacks of the nanny state.

Mike

PS. I have my avalanche 1 certification and have done a fair amount of backcountry skiing out of a helicopter or on AT skis, all with a guide. I do not feel confident to ski backcountry in Colorado with my skills and experience.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’d say that front range backcountry users contributed to me taking a few years off when I moved to Colorado. Continental snowpack is so scary though.

Huge props to Steamboat patrol for opening pony pod yesterday and not spinning the lift.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm getting tired of the "involuntary" stone grinds on my edges. I guess all the heavy Saturday skier traffic is peeling away at what base we have. Crazy cold out there this morning and unfortunately another day where by 10:30 a.m. I had had enough of the crowds.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Eldora was ROUGH today even compared to yesterday when I was there. I almost slipped out on ice 5 times in the very few runs that we took today. It was not a long ski day.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At Copper, including today, only the trails that had snow-making are rock free - almost all of them groomers. At least there I've had no ski base and only minor edge burr damage. (And in my case, thank Heavens for race skis and near race skis on such groomers.)

The sketchy terrain gets larger, however, as they open more and more slopes and lifts in this drought: virtually all lifts are open now, including Tucker Mountain, Black Jack and Mountain Chief. But that terrain is sketchy, for me. (Maybe I'll take out some rock skis for a day and just tour the wreckage.)

I too am sick of quitting early because of lift lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.