• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m just saying if you look at total Avy deaths and say 20% are from roofs, that’s a silly skew of data.

I did notice that in studies about recreational deaths, etc, they removed them from the data. There aren't many, compared to "regular" ones, but yes, even three would skew data when you are looking at bc traveling and the like.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
^^^^^^ That must have been Wednesday after the fresh snowfall. It was a good day. Today was bluebird, but we sure need to get some new snow out of this next front.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The forecast has changed quite a bit. We are supposed to be in a more typical La Niña fast NW flow with quick hits every 48 to 72 hours. If there is decent moisture, that may get some terrain open.

Downside is episodic high wind events. Like 80 mph coming soon.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
An avalanche is snow sliding down an incline. I don't get the problem. They have long been dealt with by avalanche pros. They even issue advisories!

I think they need a rating system. Do more people die when roofalanche is at Level 2 like backcountry or do we lose correlation and it’s more Level 5? Or is it level “just hired somebody to clear it”?

I actually got hit as a kid in the shoulder by a huge rain gutter icicle from a second story. This was in Virginia back in the late 70’s when it snowed there. Techically that was an avalanche, which makes the story a lot cooler than almost getting killed by a gutter icicle I was trying to (successfully) knock down while standing more or less (more) underneath it.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think they need a rating system. Do more people die when roofalanche is at Level 2 like backcountry or do we lose correlation and it’s more Level 5? Or is it level “just hired somebody to clear it”?

I actually got hit as a kid in the shoulder by a huge rain gutter icicle from a second story. This was in Virginia back in the late 70’s when it snowed there. Techically that was an avalanche, which makes the story a lot cooler than almost getting killed by a gutter icicle I was trying to (successfully) knock down while standing more or less (more) underneath it.

I just had a metal roof put on last summer, and it's fun to watch the activity. I even assign R and D ratings to some of them. The south side of the house is alllll roof, so there is a lot of surface area.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can someone tell me when Loveland usually closes? I see airfare in April is insanely cheap and we're thinking about a quick strike mission to ski Loveland for 2-3 days...

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Can someone tell me when Loveland usually closes? I see airfare in April is insanely cheap and we're thinking about a quick strike mission to ski Loveland for 2-3 days...

First weekend in May.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
March and April are the best months at Loveland. You will need to play to aspects correctly if we're getting free/thaw cycles. But that means a longer day of skiing snow at the right amount of "ripeness" compared to places without as many aspects.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The forecast has changed quite a bit. We are supposed to be in a more typical La Niña fast NW flow with quick hits every 48 to 72 hours. If there is decent moisture, that may get some terrain open.

Downside is episodic high wind events. Like 80 mph coming soon.

Looks like the typical pattern of shitty seasons like this one of more wind than snow. Wind affected snow is typical for Colorado ATL but this is gonna get nasty. There is hope for March. Most places only need 2-3 feet more of snow to get awesome.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
March and April are the best months at Loveland. You will need to play to aspects correctly if we're getting free/thaw cycles. But that means a longer day of skiing snow at the right amount of "ripeness" compared to places without as many aspects.

That sounds fun. Exploring the mountain is one of my favorite parts of skiing so I'm fine with that.

Round Trip tickets from MSP to DEN are $97 total on Delta the first week of April! $77 on United...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That sounds fun. Exploring the mountain is one of my favorite parts of skiing so I'm fine with that.

Round Trip tickets from MSP to DEN are $97 total on Delta the first week of April! $77 on United...
Seems like a good idea to me. I've had great luck at Loveland in mid-April a couple of times.

Colorado Skiing 042118 079 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg
Colorado Skiing 042118 080 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Colorado Skiing 041319 120 DC ACR Conv.jpg
Colorado Skiing 041319 091 DC ACR Conv Pano.jpg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
As @dbostedo 's post shows -- you can get anything from great fresh pow storms (often a bit warmer than typical, but that denser snow helps cover up harder stuff better) to classic spring skiing where you chase sun-soften groomers and slush bumps.

Feel free to PM me when you're around. I'm there most weekends and am a former MNer.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like the typical pattern of shitty seasons like this one of more wind than snow. Wind affected snow is typical for Colorado ATL but this is gonna get nasty. There is hope for March. Most places only need 2-3 feet more of snow to get awesome.

I watched the snow update on the Weather Channel earlier. Their main focus in the update was Big Sky and the pending soon to be blizzard in the upper mid west. Overall it seemed like the majority of snow is staying north of us although in the NWS discussion they talk about 6" possible in Grand County higher elevations.

I'm hoping for March also ogsmile

"officially" for Copper this Dec and Jan?

Source: On the Snow 1610562194986.png

Last edited:

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
As @dbostedo 's post shows -- you can get anything from great fresh pow storms (often a bit warmer than typical, but that denser snow helps cover up harder stuff better) to classic spring skiing where you chase sun-soften groomers and slush bumps.

Feel free to PM me when you're around. I'm there most weekends and am a former MNer.

Would I need to rent an AWD vehicle? I've been up to Summit twice already but both times in an AWD. The cost is twice as much yikes...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Would I need to rent an AWD vehicle? I've been up to Summit twice already but both times in an AWD. The cost is twice as much yikes...

Depends entirely on the weather. 85% of the time, no. 15% of the time, tires make all the difference (and the only way with rental to get around crap tires is going AWD.)

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Depends entirely on the weather. 85% of the time, no. 15% of the time, tires make all the difference (and the only way with rental to get around crap tires is going AWD.)

That's sort of what I figured. I'd love to just drive my truck out there, but it adds so much time to the trip...

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I've driven rental cars many times to LL. I'd never take a 2WD vehicle because it often snows in April on I-70, especially at the beginning of the month. See if you can find a 4WD pickup if AWD Crossover/SUVs are not available. I guess that depends on how many passengers though for a pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor