• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
You should check out the new run, Lyman's. It's in west village between I Way and Prospector. I think it will be a fun run for the advancing beginners. Coverage is good in there but even in the trees its was sticky and grabby this weekend.
I made the mistake of going in there today. Followed tracks over into some trees. When I finally accepted that I had to choose between an ACL and my ego because only one of those would go home intact, I decided to backtrack on foot. Right leg postholed up to the hip. Getting back on skis, an area about 6' in diameter started collapsing -- the edge of that area was near a tree, so I wondered about a treewell. Later, left leg postholed up to hip. Even later, as I was trying to exit over to an established trail (on untracked snow and being uber cautious), my entire ski postholed up to mid-thigh. Snow collapsed on top of it, so I had to release the binding to even free my leg. Had to use my other ski as a shovel to dig it out. And that wasn't even the worst of it. :eek: That was my first run of the afternoon. I skied out on Easy Feelin', walked to the shuttle, and came home.

I was at Copper on Friday also. Got to the parking lot, dressed, and realized my boots were still in the garage.

Two trips to Copper. One run.

I'm sitting out a couple of days to let the temperature drop and the conditions improve at Copper and LL, if they will.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
anyone know if Breck has a half pipe open? My snowmagdon delayed trip is this weekend, and so far had zero luck getting on a pipe this year. Plan is to fly in friday. Make Breck the home base, I'll be out sat/sun/mon. Dad & Sis just sun/mon. On sunday I plan on taking them over to beaver since they want easy green runs, and beaver has those on top.

It appears that scene is now being embraced by Woodwinds (a.k.a) Copper and not by Breck as much as in the past. The Dew Tour has moved to Copper. It will be interesting to see if Breck builds the pipe next season.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Breck posted their late season plan today (maybe they were reading this thread?)

Basically, starting 4/19 everything out of Peak 8 only.

Colorado
Rocky Mountain
T-Bar
Imperial
Rips Ride through 4/25
Gondola through 4/30

I like this peak 8 plan. There could actually be some moguls to ski.

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm curious if anyone thinks Vail area is worth a trip next week? We're scheduled to ski closing day at BC and then the rest of the week at Vail and Breck as we feel like. The closing of a few of the Vail areas along with the recommendation to take the gondola down due to "extreme" conditions near the base make me weary that this will just be an unfun slush and mud fest.

For the record we're vaccinated and still taking precautions to protect ourselves and those that live and work where we travel to.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I'm curious if anyone thinks Vail area is worth a trip next week? We're scheduled to ski closing day at BC and then the rest of the week at Vail and Breck as we feel like. The closing of a few of the Vail areas along with the recommendation to take the gondola down due to "extreme" conditions near the base make me weary that this will just be an unfun slush and mud fest.

For the record we're vaccinated and still taking precautions to protect ourselves and those that live and work where we travel to.

have not been at Vail lately- but I will say driving by yesterday on the way back from Aspen - coverage seemed pretty good - not as bad as I was expecting. That said, it was in the mid-50s at 11am. So....

we have usually gone for Vail’s closing weekend for years - it typically is a slush fest down low. I may or may not have downloaded on the gondola. :) There usually about a 3 hour window of good snow. Won’t be any worse than BC imho.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I made the mistake of going in there today. Followed tracks over into some trees. When I finally accepted that I had to choose between an ACL and my ego because only one of those would go home intact, I decided to backtrack on foot. Right leg postholed up to the hip. Getting back on skis, an area about 6' in diameter started collapsing -- the edge of that area was near a tree, so I wondered about a treewell. Later, left leg postholed up to hip. Even later, as I was trying to exit over to an established trail (on untracked snow and being uber cautious), my entire ski postholed up to mid-thigh. Snow collapsed on top of it, so I had to release the binding to even free my leg. Had to use my other ski as a shovel to dig it out. And that wasn't even the worst of it. :eek: That was my first run of the afternoon. I skied out on Easy Feelin', walked to the shuttle, and came home.

I was at Copper on Friday also. Got to the parking lot, dressed, and realized my boots were still in the garage.

I'm sitting out a couple of days to let the temperature drop and the conditions improve at Copper and LL, if they will.

YIKES sorry to hear Vickie. None of that is good. Especially if you came out on Easy Feeling. Glad you didn't hurt your knees or hips. Scary when you post hole the entire ski. Tree wells are always a concern for sure. I'm really glad you were able to recover safely and without injury.

One thing I recommend especially to anyone who likes skiing the trees is to load the Copper app. Make sure you have locations services on . If you scroll down on the main page you will see a red ski patrol button. You can call for help with that button and it will provide your location. Really good tool to have.

For Copper, 9:30 a.m. thru maybe 1:00 p.m. should be good.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Aspen / Highland over the weekend. Fun snow (for a couple of hours), slush bumps, not very crowded and of course the “scene” that is Aspen. You know, where the beautiful women flock like the salmon of Capistrano.
couple of pics from weekend:

Cloud 9 lift line
FB2192B8-2A4B-44B2-8DBB-6737F1FA9C72.jpeg

riding up temerity - slush bumps
85F5C09A-F865-4BD7-B6C2-08CA464BB96C.jpeg

lunch at Cloud 9

49773B80-0A90-4630-8C51-B804711B33E2.jpeg

après @ Ajax Tavern
4DEF1ED2-3035-4C68-8CB2-E9065F9D64AD.jpeg

Gunbarrel (really busy)

F22FD6C5-A09B-49FB-882C-1A1C82993ED6.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
YIKES sorry to hear Vickie. None of that is good. Especially if you came out on Easy Feeling. Glad you didn't hurt your knees or hips. Scary when you post hole the entire ski. Tree wells are always a concern for sure. I'm really glad you were able to recover safely and without injury.

One thing I recommend especially to anyone who likes skiing the trees is to load the Copper app. Make sure you have locations services on . If you scroll down on the main page you will see a red ski patrol button. You can call for help with that button and it will provide your location. Really good tool to have.

This the season for unsupportive snow, undermined snow, slush puddles, etc. Expect all of that below 11k. A-Basin is your friend.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I got a late start. It was around noon when I got there. My plan was to check out Lyman's, then head over to Timberline.

Lyman's should be a fun area to start exploring trees. As an adult learner, two things I found sorely lacking were bumps on green trails and well-spaced tree areas on green runs. Kudos to Copper for providing a learning area.

Also kudos to Copper for its park expansion. I was away from Copper for 2 years. I was surprised earlier this season when I saw how much they have grown the park space and features.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Ohmygoodness, your post brought back some memories! Back about the same time of season (photo is marked 4/3/13), I was futzing around in that vicinity, alone, and completely sank while traversing. It may be hard to see from photo, but you can kind of tell where top of snow is compared to my ski. Felt like it took forever to get myself dug out.

6882F0DA-26DB-40E6-A2C8-2FAB81DFF108_1_105_c.jpeg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
None of that is good. Especially if you came out on Easy Feeling.

Correction: I came out on Woodwinds Traverse.

The online map shows that tree area as closed. Have they opened the whole section now that they built Lyman's? Well, can't be the whole section as I did go past a Closed - Avalanche Area sign on my travels. Which begs the question ... Avalanche? There?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen / Highland over the weekend. Fun snow (for a couple of hours), slush bumps, not very crowded and of course the “scene” that is Aspen. You know, where the beautiful women flock like the salmon of Capistrano.
couple of pics from weekend:

Cloud 9 lift line
View attachment 130529

riding up temerity - slush bumps
View attachment 130530

lunch at Cloud 9

View attachment 130531

après @ Ajax Tavern
View attachment 130532

Gunbarrel (really busy)

View attachment 130533
They took the tent down on the Ajax tavern patio! We had a warm day there a few weeks ago, and I was wishing the tent wasn't there. We went to the Aspen Tap Room instead.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

OMG! Hope you had a drink when you got home!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
OMG! Hope you had a drink when you got home!
Nope. I was never really upset. The postholing rattled my nerves a bit. For the most part, though, I was calm and methodical. Through the trees, I could see enough white to believe there was a trail nearby.

I've added that trail to the tour next time you're out here!

My ski lessons this season are 3 hours long. I referred to my most recent one as a "3 hour tour". I think I'll take leave of that phrase for a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online