• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I posted a video of the refrozen windblown bumps on Mine Dump at Copper today over in the bump thread:

Super proud my son had fun skiing in that junk today and kept wanting to go back for more. The daughter and wife had the good sense to stay in after lunch.

There's going to be a really great day when it softens. I wish I could figure out when.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yesterday was interesting at Luv. Small wind loaded sections produced some fun turns but mixed with wind scoured sections made things challenging. Hoping for some sun on Saturday at basin.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
A-Basin and Bluebird Backcountry pass partnership. Makes sense to me in that A-Basin has long had a generous uphill skinning policy and Bluebird wants to grow its brand and community.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A-Basin and Bluebird Backcountry pass partnership. Makes sense to me in that A-Basin has long had a generous uphill skinning policy and Bluebird wants to grow its brand and community.

Their partnership has me contemplating a Bluebird pass next season. I drove past Bluebird a dozen times this season. That won’t happen next year.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
Their partnership has me contemplating a Bluebird pass next season. I drove past Bluebird a dozen times this season. That won’t happen next year.

An over-looked benefit of a Bluebird pass: you get "Unlimited Dog Passes" for your canine friends!

My pal Rory is hounding me to get a Bluebird $229 Weekday Pass for next year...

Rory Feb 20 2021.jpg

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
From the best I can get from Basin and Taos...next year's Basin pass comp days at Taos will not be blacked out. I called both places today and learned that Taos still hasn't signed the contract from Basin. However, I was told by Taos that due to the Covid restrictions this year their would be no blackouts for full Basin pass holders. I'm still on the fence for my Taos pass since they keep Friday's off the midweek pass again this year. Meh.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Bluebird seems awesome but at 2h30m from my house in Denver it is just way too far. We need more ski areas near Denver.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well, sorta. Are you going to drive through Loveland and Walden?

I think he meant that we need more ski areas close to Denver that don't require getting on i70 to get to. That makes it much less likely to happen although there are some options.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went out early today to Breck with no plans to stay out until things warmed and softened up. No upper lifts opened, probably due to the high winds. Eventually the sun came out. The groomers have been doing a wonderful job and there was a little blown around snow but it was still 'kinda furm'. I was on my SL skis by design and had a nice morning of it.

Tomorrow more of the same although I'm hoping for some more fresh as forecast by OpenSnow. Probably not enough to make the coral reef above treeline inviting, though. Maybe over the weekend with the forecast higher temps and less wind it'll be upper mountain skiing again.

IMG_20210408_104632982_HDR.jpg
10:45. Imperial and 6 Chair not spinning.

Oh. Day 100.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went out early today to Breck with no plans to stay out until things warmed and softened up. No upper lifts opened, probably due to the high winds. Eventually the sun came out. The groomers have been doing a wonderful job and there was a little blown around snow but it was still 'kinda furm'. I was on my SL skis by design and had a nice morning of it.

Tomorrow more of the same although I'm hoping for some more fresh as forecast by OpenSnow. Probably not enough to make the coral reef above treeline inviting, though. Maybe over the weekend with the forecast higher temps and less wind it'll be upper mountain skiing again.

View attachment 130750
10:45. Imperial and 6 Chair not spinning.

Oh. Day 100.
Glad I was out there last weekend - the skiing and the ski company was outstanding!

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
Will it be in the same location next year? They moved between the last two seasons. I don't see them ever making enough money to operate long term.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Will it be in the same location next year? They moved between the last two seasons. I don't see them ever making enough money to operate long term.

Bluebird’s site says, “We’re excited to announce that we’ve secured a long-term agreement to continue operating on this incredible property.”

I agree about the chances that Bluebird can make it. That’s another reason I want to go next season.

TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Copper was rock hard most of the day today. Sun came out late, and only the bottom 500 vf softened after about 2 pm, otherwise dust on crust West Village to Excellerator. With kiddos so didn't venture beyond.

The wind was working its magic, and it's going to be windy for the next few days. Hopefully good for snow preservation, as the little bit of snow was being redeposited nicely. Made for some good for you skiing, but great to feel the base solidify underneath.

I didn't take pictures until the last couple of runs on Hallelujah. Windblown over icy bumps at the end of the day.

Certainly changed a bit from Sun afternoon to Wed. I didn't ski this week at all. Can't wait to see what it will be like tomorrow ogsmile I was checking the calendar this morning. Only 6 more days on there :( This season went by fast.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This morning was an inch of fresh on top of crust at LL. Some aspects skied OK while others were a bit scary. Lots of heavy crust and ice hiding under that pretty layer of snow. Never really softened up with highs today only in the 20s. If it's going to be cold then we need enough snow fall to "refresh" the slopes. Hopefully that's coming next week... :)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly changed a bit from Sun afternoon to Wed. I didn't ski this week at all. Can't wait to see what it will be like tomorrow ogsmile I was checking the calendar this morning. Only 6 more days on there :( This season went by fast.
You didn't miss much this week. Groomers have been nice, but off-piste never really softened much except Copper Bowl today, at least the bottom part. Never got up top. It's been windy all week. Anyone know the magic formula for how much wind prevents softening?

Rattler was groomed and had some fantastic corn. We skied that several times and the bumps on the side were nice. Bumps on the front side were still rock hard today.

The boy has been itching to ski Tucker, so we did it for the first time today. We skied the run formally know as the Nacho and he thought it was too easy. I think it's been groomed in the last few days.

We watched a similar age and skilled kid ski the run formally know as The Taco from the lift. The boy really wanted to give it a try. I wasn't sure, but what could go wrong? We had the self-arrest talk and dropped in. He did great and was jump-turning like a pro. I think skiing icy bumps and lots of laps on windblown and icy Hallilujia (his favorite) all week helped him be comfortable in the firm conditions.

Looking back up at the Taco entrance, heart pounding with that awesome "I can't believe I just skied that" feeling:

PXL_20210409_204023194.jpg

PXL_20210409_204034444.jpg
PXL_20210409_204040389.jpg

PXL_20210409_204500891.jpg

Good fun! Sure looks like a Taco to me. :ogbiggrin:

Curecanti?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online