• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A surprise 4" of fresh at LL made for an interesting day of mixed skiing and mixed conditions. South Chutes skied the best I've had all season. The snow was creamy smooth and supportive and not as light as on Tuesday, but fantastic feeling stuff. Elsewhere we found that the sun in the morning was already doing its damage and many aspects were getting manky and there was a crusty surface layer on some of my regular hits.

They were prepping for a race day tomorrow and had half of Fire Bowl and Fire Cut fenced off on both sides for a race course. At first in the morning they weren't letting any skiers enter the fenced off course, but later they opened a side gate and the general public was welcome to ski the second half of it. It was perfect cord conditions covered by about a half inch of fresh. LL rarely has perfect cord setup like this and my buddy and I took advantage of it. We also took video that should be interesting to see. We were attempting to cleanly carve it from start to finish... lots of pants cuffs dragging on the snow... :)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
With this ongoing persistent cool and snowy pattern (more on Tue), 2015 is starting to look like the interesting comparison year. A-Basin had 3 extension weekends IIRC. We still have residual drift piles from the blizzard at my place. Might have to hit A-Basin this week. I need at least 2 more days there to make my pass worth it. 20 mile mtb ride tomorrow first.

D562FCA4-8712-4F3C-8570-45F11BD8BB93.jpeg 5E778A75-6ED8-4AA3-9F29-E586197A4C63.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today was a blustery, sunny day.

My friend wanted to put her new O2 concentrator and herself to the test so we skinned up Breck to Vista Haus. She had a best ever time. What she noticed was that her overall fitness was lacking due to being restricted by O2 levels over the past few years.

Then we skied a few lift served runs. At the end of the morning runs she felt so much better than she would have imagined given her level of exertion. It was a great way to start the day.

IMG_20210425_081713434.jpg

We left at about 10:30 so I could make it home for a Zoom visit with my mother. After the visit I thought I might return to ski upper mountain. I pulled out the binoculars to take a look at Peak 8 only to see that Imperial was not running. Does anyone know if it opened up at all?

Needless to say, without Imperial I didn't have the terrain I was looking to enjoy so transitioned to finishing the bike mount in my truck shell. The mount worked and my bike is getting fork and air-can service along with new sealant for the tires.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Yep, today was an absolutely perfect Spring skiing day in CO. At LL, the snow started out perfectly grippy; just total hero snow right from the bell. The corn came on fairly quickly for the sun drenched slopes. Winds were whipping at the top, so I retreated down lower to some of the lifts that were less affected. I was able to get some good work in on my goggle tan... :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
May I ask what is this O2 concentrator? This is something she wears while skiing?

She has the Oxygo Fit, I believe. It is a battery powered, O2 concentrator providing 2 l/m (IIRC) via a cannula. It fits in a special pack that has vents to allow air flow. The pack has enough room for a reservoir (Camelbak) in addition to the concentrator.

My friend has pulmonary artery hypertension which has caused her significant trouble when she is active, primarily shortness of breath and lack of endurance. She uses a concentrator while sleeping, as well.

Last edited:
TS
mikel

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Closing weekend at Copper was pretty nice. The weather was absolutely beautiful. Sat. the temps stayed a bit cooler and some mid afternoon cloud cover helped the snow. Sunday the snow in the morning was absolutely great. By mid afternoon it was full on spring/summer conditions and way too grippy on some runs. Personally I am not a fan of the rubber mat feeling. Probably should have done a hot wax yesterday morning or been on a more appropriate ski.

I did see the @tball family enjoying some skiing in the trees yesterday afternoon ogsmile

Just a beautiful morning yesterday
IMG_0848.JPG

Another shot of the beautiful morning looking in the direction of Silverthorne and beyond
IMG_0850.JPG

I did manage to get 1 final run down the upper part of Cabin Chute yesterday morning. Not sure why no one was skiing it. Full disclosure there were some pretty hard bumps under the fresh.
IMG_0851.JPG

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Does Winter Park still do Spring Splash? I know I did it 83/84 season, but I cannot remember much. Pretty sure I wore my 1 piece red long cowboy underwear with trap door in back and lighting bolt head set.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I awoke this morning at 6 to 41° F and figured, things may not have frozen that hard. Wrong.

Firm corduroy and just lower mountain was open with LOTS of wind. T-Bar and Imperial didn't open as the thaw from yesterday apparently froze hard despite the warm overnight temps. Here's hoping tomorrow's snow will freshen things up up high.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The big question is how tough is it going to be to get to A-Basin Wednesday morning? I'm working on rearranging my schedule to try to get one final powder day in for the season.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The big question is how tough is it going to be to get to A-Basin Wednesday morning? I'm working on rearranging my schedule to try to get one final powder day in for the season.

I’m thinking the same thing and will let you know if that plan comes together.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Well this is going to be fun in the morning. I’m leaving by 5. I guess we’ll see if Loveland Pass is open. Haven’t driven that in sketchy conditions in awhile so that will be some extra fun that can be rewarded with a bacon Bloody Mary.

343736A4-1EBD-4CF9-93A9-7A73DBEC6807.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It'll likely be my last day. Looking at MJ rather than fighting going back over Berthoud. Close to 30 days this season. A lot less than I'd hoped but a lot more than I expected, given how it all started!

This forecast is favoring the northern Front Range. If I was betting on tomorrow it would be Jane all the way. I told ms nay “Jane will have 15” in the morning” over coffee just a bit ago.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's hoping A-basin and Luv will do nearly as well as the Jane. Looks like the largest snow accumulations will be centered on Georgetown:

WPC Probabilistic Winter Precipitation Guidance 2021-04-27 12-51-51.png

Similar to the NWS Weather Story image:

Tab4FileL (2).png

Fantastic news for season extension is another storm cycle early next week, plus mostly below average temps through the forecast period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor