• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2020-2021 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

The SkiTalk crew experienced this "fun" on Thursday. @SkiNurse and I led the crew down the cat track to get to lift 8 only to find it still roped off after 10 a.m. We were certainly surprised and led part of the group down Sunburst Chutes and Splashdown. Coverage was really sketchy on the lower half and @Tricia decided her new beautiful Sideral skis weren't going to take a hit, so they enjoyed the journey upon her shoulder until more white stuff was found...

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The SkiTalk crew experienced this "fun" on Thursday. @SkiNurse and I led the crew down the cat track to get to lift 8 only to find it still roped off after 10 a.m. We were certainly surprised and led part of the group down Sunburst Chutes and Splashdown. Coverage was really sketchy on the lower half and @Tricia decided her new beautiful Sideral skis weren't going to take a hit, so they enjoyed the journey upon her shoulder until more white stuff was found...

Oh dear.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Made it out to Luv yesterday. Man things are warming up early. Best turns for me were wild child. I’ve never seen that cornice so small and easy to get into or avoid.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The entire run was good except for one tiny spot of mud/snow mix. Not only did I want to avoid chewing up my Siderals, but more so, I didn't want to answer to @Philpug ;)
Otherwise, that was super fun.
Oh, and the closed area prompted a photo op
23C701C7-79B1-4D97-9456-466FCDFDBB86.JPG

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This morning's report at Breck was 3". It fell mostly after everything was groomed so it was 3" of dense moist fresh snow all over.

IMG_20210503_090906461.jpg

T-bar opened around 10 and Horseshoe presented a mishmash of windblown on yesterday's frozen tracks. Some places were boot deep, others just covered the tracks underneath. Strangely Cucumber Bowl was closed. Ptarmigan had some nice sections but you had to experiment to find the best stuff. By 11:30 even though it was snowing a bit and overcast, the new snow was getting hard to move unless it was fresh. Fortunately I had fresh in some obvious, but overlooked, sections of the mountain.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
At 7,400’ we went to snow in the early morning hours. Fortunately just late enough to avoid tree damage. We got about 4” of straight down slop.

963BA922-59F4-4FAD-BBD0-2CFCA46EC690.jpeg

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
The 3 inches that fell yesterday at Luv was interesting. Nice and dense as Doug said, but hella wind affected. I bailed at 11 after lapping 1 most of the day.

Reactions: nay

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. Good to know, about more at Winter Park. Kudos to them!

Similar "interesting" 3" at Winter Park yesterday, heavy wet on crust, wind affected, slightly mounded, mild waves, and spiked. Switched skis but still, more effort though very fun.

Done by noon, since I'm an old guy still, however young I felt when I got the ski right.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like WP may be worth a late season trek...more snow forecast for this week and early next! Love May skiing!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ah... Today was another bonus day. I got the usual lift opening start to my day albeit now at 9 instead of 8:30 and via two buses instead of bus and gondola due to late-season changes. The gondola closing is dictated by environmental issues.

Groomers had just a dusting on top and the cord wasn't rock hard. T-bar opened fairly early and wind had moved some snow around to refill yesterday's pleasant conditions. A couple runs off Imperial yielded kind of chunky snow in CJ's but Y-chute came through with nearly bottomless despite being only 5 - 6 inches deep. A final hard cut left into Magic Carpet yielded the best snow and turns of the day. A final Ptarmigan run to let my departure match up to the bus schedule left me smiling.

IMG_20210504_101612580.jpg
The clouds were dark and heavy over the valley.

IMG_20210504_113706547.jpg
Fun run on CJ's.

IMG_20210504_120350579.jpg
Some virga that later on yielded some snow.

Yesterday's snow stake cam was intriguing. After wiping off the 3 inches reported yesterday, another 3 - 4 came in before 9 and you could watch it settle and melt throughout the day. They reported 2 today which was realistic. Sorry, I didn't bother with screen captures.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
This mid week storm cycles for the past few weeks has been fun. It appears the 5/10-12 storm is dropping south now and looks decent. That might be the last May resort pow day. Stoked to see basin opened Pali and North Pole again.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like it's still winter at A-basin this morning:

abasincam2 (4).jpeg

Tomorrow should be a fantastic transition day to spring skiing again:

Hourly Weather Forecast for 39.63N 105.87W (Elev. 11880 ft) 2021-05-05 10-23-41.png

I'm planning on A-basin tomorrow if anyone wants to make some turns. Could also do Mary Jane, as I'm a newly indoctrinated IKON cult member. Copper and A-basin jacked up their pass prices so much, it just made sense. The bad news is only 5 days at A-basin next season. The good news is I'll be back at Mary Jane after a hiatus. :ogbiggrin:

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah... Today was another bonus day. I got the usual lift opening start to my day albeit now at 9 instead of 8:30 and via two buses instead of bus and gondola due to late-season changes. The gondola closing is dictated by environmental issues.

I take it you now need to get to the base of Peak 8 to access the hill? Any idea of when they go to weekends only?

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sad to report the American IPA at cabin creek is pretty weak. Nice space though. Back down the hill to cannonball.

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Seasons are strange. With a cycle late this weekend, we likely poke a Snotel nose out past last year.

17743ECF-755E-4537-AE12-1B2D79622E61.jpeg

Good for A-Basin, I’ll have to exercise my waning privilege since no season pass next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online