• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes 2020/2021 Fat Bike Winter rides.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We did a fun adventure ride today. Rode a (partly) frozen creek. It’s been warm, so ice freezing has been slow.
Between the extremely slippery surface of the ice, and the facta that many different forms of thin ice exist on a creek, it takes a lot of concentration and skill to stay up right and on top of the surface.
I noticed my studs are not brand new, super sharp anymore, and ended up scrambling up and down most of the falls on foot.

I like riding the mtb trail, but this is fun in a different way. A true adventure, no set trail, and you don’t know if it will be possible until you try it.

5 miles up the creek and back down. 6 of us.
1 spin out, fall sideways, slide back down 6 feet
1 break through ice, wet up to mid thigh, bike starts to float away
2 front wheel breaks through (upper layer of) ice, over the bars dismount
1 - over the bars into the water, full immmersion.

One other guy and I managed to avoid all those ;-), the other 4 divided them up amongst themselves.

672C5B83-4AD8-4723-8E09-2C7824741785.jpeg
506AE7F3-F761-428D-8476-8234839A8F27.jpeg
05EF680E-D4AD-4C4C-85AB-99939A3F91FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Now that is something I hadn't considered. A bit like observed trials motorcycle riding.

NOAA says your warmth problems will be over shortly. :ogbiggrin:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I draw the line for riding on most serious overflows or running water situations in the winter. That said, last ride did involve some sketchy patches of over flow and we found the creek was still running even though winter has very much been in full force for two months. You never really know just how deep the overflow is until you ride through it. It was roughly -2*f for the last ride, quite balmy compared to some rides so far this year. Ride plan was to start at a section of trail we had ridden before and link it up to the start of another trail across the valley, then ride up the creek trail until we felt like turning around. We made it across the valley network of trails and ended up in a super sketchy neighborhood.. the trail quite literally was going behind junky cabins and wrecked cars. Needless to say we did not stop and kept on pedaling till we made it through.

20201215_193628.jpg

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A challenging situation was as I was riding along, the ice started to freak and give. If I stop, I might break through. If I put my foot down, it will almost certainly go through. Then, a fallen tree, over the creek. A roughly person sized gap. Normally I would stop and walk trough that, but in this case, it seemed better to keep riding and hope I fit through, which I did, hoorray for droppers!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
headed up this am with my tire guage. I had the the Barbagazi's at 3psi, quickly brought them down and settled in at 1.75 R 1.50 Front. The snow much much improved today. Combo of more people packing it down and the temps made the snow quite a bit harder. It was. good learning ride, I adjusted how I climbed switchback corners, figuring out that unlike MTN biking, you have to stay centered and not outside to inside, Also figured out climbing the steeper switchbacks by upping my gear (more difficult) and then apply smoother torque much like you do on more technical lines. So all in all, it was a really good ride! The second pic is looking across the valley to the east at the resort; Fish Creek and Buffalo (buff) pass to the north.

6B6C8E08-0FC5-4EC9-86AF-FD37FF91687B_1_201_a.jpeg
E0A7436E-78E9-4D4B-A758-47ADC6F0E20F_1_201_a.jpeg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we did a “ride” yesterday evening. Due to the ~3” that had fallen, but blown into drifts by the wind, the going was slow. Lots of walking.
Since the singletrack is packed down, it is lower than the surrounding snow surface, and consequently fills up deeper.
Riding in the dark, in a blizzard, at 10F, I did not take out my phone, so I don’t have any pictures, haha!
Our top speed was 3 mph, most of the time,slower.
Good challenge!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also did a photo-free ride yesterday, but it was quite the opposite of @Slim's. I was pushing the envelope a bit with regard to a time-sensitive family activity, and used every available second pedaling.

Not a cloud in the sky, no wind, 20 degrees, and no new snow. Beautiful lighting, and ripping fast hardpack snow.

I used a very successful technique to keep water from freezing that I'll share: Simply leave your water in the car. Very effective! :geek:

Ho Ho Ho, pugskiers!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Continuing with the no pics theme, we had ~3" of new yesterday. I got up early and did an untracked lap of our local, almost never-used, 2-mile flat trail on wide xc skis, then the fat bike.

!!! FORUM BLASPHEMY ALERT !!!

Skiing is better than fat biking in 3" of perfect pow.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
grooming has begun on our trails. we just got about 8" here in the valley and more higher up. I will give them a couple of days to get the trails packed in. Skiing was superb today, first powder day but there's no new snow predicted for a week now. Time to roll.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I got my first snow ride in on the Farley, I like it. Snow was thin and mostly packed down. I was surprised how good the traction was. I did find a few spots to blaze trail ( as much as a few inches of snow is trail blazing..... ).

When I started my drive out, it was 8 degrees F outside. Was driving through Fort Collins and the temperature went up to 20 degrees, I thought great, can stay in my shorts and t-shirt. When I got to the trail, it was 14 degrees, did ride in my riding pants and jacket. Did not feel the need for my balaclava, though I had it on me. I rode in some hiking boots with thick socks today and it was fine. I did order some Wolvhammers to try. Hopefully the lace system works for me, reviews were mixed. Got them from REI and they are really good about taking things back ( something I like but wont abuse ).

Had fun, glad I got the bike. Todays ride did not leave me with the feeling I had to have studs, but I'm thinking I will do them anyway. It was not very icy on my ride.

Oh, I really like how the tires stay nice and clean!

Joel

20201230_085720.jpg
20201230_085729.jpg

Joel

Having fun
Skier
My Wolvhammers showed up today, for me, they work. Did my standard insole swap and good to go. The BOA lacing system works fine for me. They feel good, next ride I see how warm they really are.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also just got a pair of Wolvhammers! First ride with them was tonight and it was average of about -10f, I did have toe warmers just in case since I had never worn the boots before. I don't really think I needed the toe warmers, the boots will be warm enough at that temp for my feet. The sole is thicker than my other boots and the BOA doesn't feel like it can get tight enough but it wasn't an issue once I started riding. I've got fairly narrow feet and there was plenty of room in the toe box area, sizing appears to be fairly true to size, I wear a 11.5 in US or about 45 in euro sizing. The 45 my toes touched the end, the 46 fits fantastic even with my thicker riding socks on. They will also work for my riding, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Since I was riding solo tonight, I made the ride into a bit of a game. I wanted to race my new Outbound Lighting Trail Evo battery on high output and see if I could finish my ride before it went to get home mode. Based on previous rides, air temp, and the route I had chosen, I anticipated that the light would drop down to it's 20 minute reserve low mode right about when I got back to my car roughly an hour and 20 minutes from starting. I beat it by a couple minutes and it didn't drop to get home mode until I put it in my car. Mission accomplished!

If anyone needs lights for night riding, you really should check out Outbound Lighting. His lights are so much better than anything else I've used or seen used up here.

20201230_184700.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Wolvhammers showed up today, for me, they work. Did my standard insole swap and good to go. The BOA lacing system works fine for me. They feel good, next ride I see how warm they really are.

I've got the Bontrager Old Man Winters and they are working well. Great BOA system and upper strap to keep snow out. I'm finding that I like wearing two pair of thick socks more than using the inner felt booties.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I think its def fit specific, I wear a pair of medium weight wool socks with the felt booties when its in the 20's or the Thermic Electric socks when colder. I think @Tom K. is pushing the "fit" boundaries :). I'm a size 10.5 but I wear the equiv. of the 12 in the Old Man Winter Boots and they fit great with the felt liners. No complaints with the boots and they are substantially lighter than the 45Nrth boots.

Joel

Having fun
Skier
I found with my Wolvhammers, I put them and crank down on the BOA knob, then flex my ankle forward and back a few times and crank down some more. Do this a couple times and they snug right up. I like the fact that they snug up around the ankle on up and not so much on the top of my foot. The fit is definitely not like a hiking boot, but works one the bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No complaints with the boots and they are substantially lighter than the 45Nrth boots.

I absolutely LOVE the light weight of the Old Man Winters!

I've still got some leftover racer/weight weeny left in me. When I first saw the boots, I thought "Oh, crap, dumbells on my feet".

But nope, they are very light for their size. Totally stoked with them.

Reactions: Ron

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found with my Wolvhammers, I put them and crank down on the BOA knob, then flex my ankle forward and back a few times and crank down some more. Do this a couple times and they snug right up. I like the fact that they snug up around the ankle on up and not so much on the top of my foot. The fit is definitely not like a hiking boot, but works one the bike.
That's exactly how I get mine on too, do the same thing with laces on my ski boots. I was a bit worried about the space around my foot, but it's sorta like my touring ski boots. That extra space is welcome and seems to keep my foot warmer.

No ride today for me, but the wife and I went for a walk and I scouted the place for potential for winter riding. I ride there in the summer and it's a super sweet little set of singletrack that isn't heavily trafficked, which is precisely why I've never ridden there, I was not sure if it was packed in enough to actually ride. It looks FANTASTIC and I seriously need to ride there.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ride there in the summer and it's a super sweet little set of singletrack that isn't heavily trafficked, which is precisely why I've never ridden there, I was not sure if it was packed in enough to actually ride. It looks FANTASTIC and I seriously need to ride there.
Ooops, clarification there. I don't ride there in the winter because it isn't trafficked enough to pack things in normally. However it hasn't snowed significantly in like 6 weeks now and it has been realllly packed in now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Started out on a slushy ride today, nearly 40 degrees, then this (short video clip that I'm not allowed to post) happened. Two inches in ten minutes!

Got back to the van in sunshine, but I had a little reminder of what I rode through:

IMG_3657.JPG

Observation: Cornering is difficult in slush!!!

Sponsor

Staff online