• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes 2020/2021 Fat Bike Winter rides.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No fat bike, but in desperation did get out there on Sunday. Felt great to be out in the woods. Quiet.
20210110_124104-01.jpeg
20210110_123035-02.jpeg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@firebanex, why do some trails open up for you in winter but remain unrideable in summer? I bet the answer is obvious. I'm just missing it.

When I hit "winter" on Trailforks for the trails in my area everything disappears. But ... I can see the fat bike tracks on the trails I run and hike on, and I see the riders. These are "technical" trails with climbs and descents over rocks and roots. Ladder bridges, granite humps ending with jumps, exposed granite whale backs, exposed roots and rock gardens, and generally difficult stuff. Nothing stops the riders around here. But I am not aware of extra riding trails in winter. We have brown for much of the winter, punctuated by intermittent snow.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's some pretty dry winter there!

My new summer bike arrived and is being assembled by my LBS. Its a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 with the xt spec option, my first ever carbon bike! I'm excited but can't realistically ride it for at least 4 months. I had my LBS place it on order back in September so I would have as good a chance as any for it to be ready for May 2021.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My new summer bike arrived and is being assembled by my LBS. Its a Trek Fuel EX 9.8 with the xt spec option, my first ever carbon bike!

Nice. The more I ride my FEX, the more I love it.

@nay: Get a fat bike, gain some weight, or get the heck out of the fat bike thread! Just kidding. Great pics, as usual.

Moderators: We have a great, but fairly small, group of mtb enthusiasts here on Pugski, errrr, SkiTalk. For my money we don't really need separate mtb and fat bike pic/ride threads.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
getting kinda jealous of the fat bike pictures. After seeing my ortho 3x in the past few weeks my Fatbike is heading off to a new owner this weekend. My knees just can’t do the wider q-factor and the ortho recommended I stop before I make it worse. So guess I’m just going to have to wait for the snow to stop so I can get back out on the gravel bike.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
getting kinda jealous of the fat bike pictures. After seeing my ortho 3x in the past few weeks my Fatbike is heading off to a new owner this weekend. My knees just can’t do the wider q-factor and the ortho recommended I stop before I make it worse. So guess I’m just going to have to wait for the snow to stop so I can get back out on the gravel bike.

Would a bike with 177 mm rear spacing (rather than the more standard 197) maybe come packaged with a narrower crankset and q?

Kona Wozo for instance.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been a busy week and didn't post up anything from my three rides this last week. First was actually a "commute" as I had to drop my car off to get worked on and I took the long route through the mushing trails to get to work. Second was the usual Tuesday night ride with my friends and the last was a ride with my wife and my riding partner and his wife. Good times were had on all occasions! Pictures are in order of the week.

Lastly, my new Fuel EX 9.8 showed up! Can't ride it for a while.. but it's currently propped against the wall in the living room much to my wife's amusement.
20210119_085948.jpg

20210119_190234.jpg

20210119_202327.jpg

20210121_193646.jpg

20210118_130537.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No pics this week. I've actually been skiing more than riding, for a change!

Our riding remains good. Mostly walked-in single track. The shot of snow we got over a week ago tempered the ice a bit, but studs are still required most places, as evidenced by the off-trail "exploration" tracks I see on many corners. :ogbiggrin:

Fresh tracks a few weeks ago. Hey, somebody has to put the "high mark" in!

High Marking.JPG

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Winter continues to rage on the Front Range.

4D2DF352-CC7E-45BE-A744-9F566D02E2D1.jpeg

A6BCCDC5-8002-4E32-A9B2-10D1507F67C4.jpeg

Although 2 days of light snow is wrapping up today so I can get back on the WROD tomorrow. I figure these are the best rock skis right now during our ongoing low tide.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Are those at least 2.6 tires?

You know, because this is the fat bike forum. :roflmao:

Looks like a blast!

Last edited:

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Check out some of the Elecra bikes, the pedals are about 6 inches forward compared to regular bikes and they are great for the knees and back, changed my life when I started biking on them about 8 years ago, last year I got one (used) with fat tires ( Fat i O) tires and added a honda motor to assist on long rides

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^ Are those at least 2.6 tires?

You know, because this is the fat bike forum. :roflmao:

Looks like a blast!

Yes 2.6. And since a lot of people have declared that 2.5 is the widest tire that has proper handling, 2.6 are therefore mid-fat.

I’ve actually been really impressed with the snow traction and still being able to push downhill time, at least in the 2” snows we’ve been getting. Entirely different WROD.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Would a bike with 177 mm rear spacing (rather than the more standard 197) maybe come packaged with a narrower crankset and q?

Kona Wozo for instance.

i just sold both my fats. 197mm & 177mm rears. The q-factor on the 177 was definitely better but with a 27.5” inseam the stress on my hip & knee was just too much. I finished a series if fluid injections in both knees in December with the hope it would help as stemcell is on hold due to Covid. I’m going to toy around with seeing what I can fit/design with a 157 rear end for next fall.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A beautiful day with a new inch of snow on everything. Disclosure: I took this while out on only "1.8s".

Otherwise known as skate skis! :ogbiggrin:

IMG_3732.JPG

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went for a hike with my family yesterday and a group had turned the local trails into a race of some sort. So when i got home i put my bike in the car amd hit the course. Some tough terrain.

20210131_142757.jpg

Attachments

• 20210131_142901.jpg
    20210131_142901.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210131_151500.jpg
    20210131_151500.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 4

Joel

Having fun
Skier
We have not been getting snow down here thought the mountains have been doing OK. In the mean time, I bout the bits to change my Farely from 10 speed to 12. I decided to do XT shifter and derailleur and a Sunrace MZ903 cassette. I'll see how it shifts. Did not pay the short on supply gouging prices I have seen.

I'm going to "shift gears" and try to check out Cameron Pass on skis this weekend. I'll watch this week how things go. CAIC has posted some sketchy forecast. I'll see what it looks like as the weekend approaches.

Sponsor