• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Mammoth/June Mt Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm a road cyclist. I've contemplated riding from Bishop to Mammoth. Seems fairly safe and it would be quite an accomplishment if I made it

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the fire update this evening here in CO they also did a breaking news update on the Creek Fire near Mammoth Pool. I hope they are successful in rescuing the 150 or so trapped. Sounds like they are prepared to head out into the water if need be. Definitely good vibes and prayers to all those affected and I hope everyone on here is not in harms way and is safe.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have no feel for MM's normal operation capacity: how does 12,000 compare?

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I think i’ve seen about 28,000 people in line for chair 8 when the rest of the mountain is on wind hold on a Saturday.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
In the fire update this evening here in CO they also did a breaking news update on the Creek Fire near Mammoth Pool. I hope they are successful in rescuing the 150 or so trapped. Sounds like they are prepared to head out into the water if need be. Definitely good vibes and prayers to all those affected and I hope everyone on here is not in harms way and is safe.
Just a heads up. Mammoth Pool is nowhere near Mammoth Lakes.
It's on the west side of the Sierra's NW of Fresno.
Creek Fire there is near Shavers lake & Mammoth pool.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a road cyclist. I've contemplated riding from Bishop to Mammoth. Seems fairly safe and it would be quite an accomplishment if I made it

you should look into doing the USARC peak to peak ride. It’s all road from Big Bear to Mammoth. My friend does it every year and, yes, Bishop to Mammoth is the killer part of the ride. They have drivers along the way in case someone struggles too much and they camp as they go. She loves it!
On another note, if skiing does open at Mammoth, are we going to plan an "unofficial" meetup next year?
YES! Count us in!

Last edited:

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
you shoukdnn CNN look into doing the USARC peak to peak ride. It’s all road from Big Bear to Mammoth. My friend does it every year and, yes, Bishop to Mammoth is the killer part of the ride. They have drivers along the way in case someone struggles too much and they camp as they go. She loves it!

YES! Count us in!
I've booked a Mammoth trip for next April. I plan on bringing my bike and skies. My goal if I'm in bike shape is to ride up one day and ski the next. My wife will be on the road to keep an eye on me

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
My son is planning to head down to Mammoth soon as he wants to spend the winter there skiing. Looking for any local advice/info. If he does I will probably head down to visit and ski Mammoth for the first time.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My son is planning to head down to Mammoth soon as he wants to spend the winter there skiing. Looking for any local advice/info. If he does I will probably head down to visit and ski Mammoth for the first time.
Definitely let us know when you will be there. As for your son... tell him to start looking for housing now. Mammoth is tough because everything is a STR. June Lake is cheaper but has little to no night life and it can be a shlog to Mammoth in a storm. Bishop is much cheaper and only about a 25 minute drive and definitely easier in a storm.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been wanting to try this for years. If I can work it out next April, I'd love to give it a shot. My wife will be spotting me so I always have a "fall back" plan

I say go for it, but then I'm that kinda nut. I don't know where you live, but I'd suggest some time at altitude just for good measure if possible (unless you already live at/above 5-6000' ;-) ).

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
This morning PM2.5 air quality on a scale of 0 to 500 had Mammoth,Bishop,Lone pine and Las Vegas at 999 ! Gag choke I can’t imagine it that bad. Probably smoke from Creek fire.
Creek fire in mountains near Fresno doubled. Then doubled again and again. Last night it doubled again for 4 th time to 143,000 acres. 0% contained.

Last edited:

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
This morning PM2.5 air quality on a scale or 0 to 500 had Mammoth,Bishop,Lone pine and Las Vegas at 999 ! Gag choke I can’t imagine it that bad. Probably smoke from Creek fire.
Creek fire in mountains near Fresno doubled. Then doubled again and again. Last night it doubled again for 4 th time to 143,000 acres. 0% contained.

Already impacted is China Peak, hopefully they get this under control as a lot of folks have displaced/lost everything and the forest has taken a huge toll thus far. Godspeed the crews on the fire lines as well as all personnel involved across the west with fighting these fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online