• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Mammoth/June Mt Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty much what I think also. But it's hard for people to plan around the possibility. People I know are contemplating other non-Mammoth getaways. Plus many pass holders are blacked out for the holidays.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty much what I think also. But it's hard for people to plan around the possibility. People I know are contemplating other non-Mammoth getaways. Plus many pass holders are blacked out for the holidays.
Yep, I'm having a tough time trying to guess if/when Mammoth or any of the resorts opening or closing upcoming. The only thing I feel pretty confident is that Covid will be slowing down by next February so I expect most resort trying to stay open as long as possible before they close. I'm preparing for a lot of spring skiing next year

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unfortunately, the COVID-19 map I follow, which lists all the counties in the US by color code, shows Mono County with a COVID incidence of 46 cases/100,00 population as a 7 day moving average. That is quite high, exceeded only by several So CA counties, and very bad for the small community hospital in Mammoth Lakes. Importing more cases from So CA right now would be a very bad thing. There's no easy solution.

val

Booting up
Skier
Skied mammoth this weekend. good groomers, fun windblown snow in the gullies, but very low tide conditions. Cautious, defensive skiing required off piste; skis will eventually find rocks (and I had to try my new skis). No lift lines. With the continued lodging ban, town was eerily quiet for a weekend in January.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 6.51.34 AM.png
breezy @ Mammoth this morning

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just called ICON. If I understand correctly, sometime end of April for those who deferred there pass can reapply their pass money for next year and start skiing end of April as part of the following year. Hopefully, this holds true because skiing is still good in May sometimes June up there

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard Mammoth has something like 8 feet of fresh powder?

Too bad no hotel rooms available for this weekend... do I car camp at June lake rest area?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Try staying in Bishop.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard Mammoth has something like 8 feet of fresh powder?

Too bad no hotel rooms available for this weekend... do I car camp at June lake rest area?
Mammoth reported 40-50" yesterday, so more like 4 feet officially so far. But I don't think they've updated the overnight, and 2-4 more feet today are predicted - they could get to 8 feet, especially up top, which is crazy.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Reports I saw said they only ran chairs 8 and 15 on Thursday, which are (mostly) too flat for such deep snow, and 395 was closed S of Topaz Lake and just N of Bishop. Edited to add another report from early this morning said "only chairs 7, 8, 15, 17, running, the snow was to deep and not enough pitch. I'm guessing 60" of new snow has fallen in the last 24 hrs."

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Mammoth updated the total with the overnight snow... now reporting 64-76" from this storm.

They also have this as the front page image, which I find interesting:

1611844337858.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 122406
A friend up there sent me this yesterday. Patrol was busy digging people out, off piste was deep.
Wow... I'm not sure I could have any fun in that... likely to get stuck myself I think. I started a thread a while back about "too much powder".

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
The Good...

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.22.30 AM.png

The Bad

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.23.19 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online