• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Mammoth/June Mt Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
The NWS 24 hour report for 7am PST shows 3.64" precipitation for Mammoth Pass at 9.5k that is about 10 inches snow per liquid at 10:1 ratios and this storm is likely 15:1 so 40" to 60" without adding from the 2 earlier small cold storms.

Let's see some of your SSS tracks people after skiing this day.

As to being able to ski really deep fresh snow, parameters to do so include the water content through the depth, how much that snow depth has metamorphosized since fallen that relates to time, a skiers body weight, one's ski floatation as in (surface area) ie width and flex, slope gradient, and powder skiing technique.

Many times Sierra storms are less cold with more depth causing greater resistance. Better is when it has been cold throughout a storm that is about elevation, temperature, and any wind packing. As any experienced storm skier knows, one can ski higher water content fresh snow much better during a storm versus even a few hours later when skies are clearing. At 5'6" my 135# body weight, the world of fresh is significantly different than for a 180# person.

On 1/21/2017 I skied Dodge Ridge after a 58" storm that was even colder than this 2021 current storm. My 2012 model 173cm Rossi S7's are 110mm at the boot so scale that up to your width. Earliest morning while just a couple lowest lifts had opened with few on lifts, I decided to find out what my 153cm 90mm at boot skis were like in that condition and like almost everyone else I bogged down and where it was steep enough could barely turn. Right back at my Forester put on the S7's and readily killed it all day by being very dynamic even though I was deep. The below first photo is from right in front of the base area lodge by day's end that shows other's tried haha. At day's end I did add 2 more like tracks besides my others. The second image is right below the steepest section of Chair 8. The nice tracks next to mine were a patroller's while all those of looker's left were other skiers hardly able to turn. Its good to have rabbit genes.

DodgeR_ch1a.jpg

DodgeR_ch8b.jpg

Last edited:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was at Mammoth today , we skied chairs 6 & 1 didn’t dare go down to chair 2.Snow was deep and cut up but manageable.The wind was already doing what it does to get the skier up and on top of the snow.The lines were a little longer than usual but expected with most of the mountain shut down and 16 being down,some avi damage to a communication cable.
Thigh burner conditions for sure.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was at Mammoth today , we skied chairs 6 & 1 didn’t dare go down to chair 2.Snow was deep and cut up but manageable.The wind was already doing what it does to get the skier up and on top of the snow.The lines were a little longer than usual but expected with most of the mountain shut down and 16 being down,some avi damage to a communication cable.
Thigh burner conditions for sure.
:useless:
Unbound, chair 6, is one of my favorite runs/chairs ever.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got to main lodge today and turned around and headed for home.
If the whole mountain was open it could handle the people but with 3 , 5 and the top not open,no way !!
I have never seen that many people and how far down the parking was.
You can imagine the line at chair 2 .

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got to main lodge today and turned around and headed for home.
If the whole mountain was open it could handle the people but with 3 , 5 and the top not open,no way !!
I have never seen that many people and how far down the parking was.
You can imagine the line at chair 2 .
Do. Not. Like. Sorry, it sucks to be there and not be able to ski.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like we may have missed the best day of the year.
Looks like everything is filled in and ready to go.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
This past weekend:

Friday: Icy with high winds (what is this, Hunter Mountain???) and Main lodge lifts shut down around 2:30 pm
Saturday: Still icy, but calm and crowded
Sunday: Still icy, but no crowd and the winds were calm. .... also had my car battery died that morning (and my portable jump starter battery died in the cold also)... so once the portable jump starter charged up in the warm... jump started my car twice (to the mountain and then to leave the mountain) and replaced the battery under warranty at the Autozone in Bishop.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha!!! Batteries - I religiously replace all my car batteries every 2 years without fail (got burned too many times in the third year), and invariably have to argue with the service reps/shop techs who insist that I don't need a new battery. I live at low altitude with mild winters, so I can understand their concern, but when I inform that the vehicle will be subject to extremely low temps, it's like they think I mean the occasional frosty night.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Wind buff 8.5/10.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the town. I don't know where the boundaries are -- suspect some lodging is outside limits so Mono county rules would apply.
Basically, lodging is allowed. The no-short-term-rental order was lifted, but the operators are responsible for keeping occupancy below 70%.
That was in January, when they went into purple. Not sure where they are now.
https://webapps.mono.ca.gov/COVIDDo...L LODGING ORDER FOR PURPLE TIER_1-31-2021.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online