• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2020-2021 Mid-Atlantic Resorts, Conditions, Weather, and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yes, as @dbostedo says there is technically a requirement to present a negative COVID test or to quarantine.

That said: resorts are not checking this compliance at all. They assume customers are playing it safe. It's a bit of a gamble on their part, but it is what it is. Just be vigilant and wear your mask, pack your own meals, take lunch break at the car, etc.

For the most part, mask compliance is good. It's worse on weekends. Lift queues can get long as all of the Vail Resorts properties are short staffed this year and it takes longer to fire up relief lifts.

Midweek things should be OK, tho.
It puts their employees at risk to intentionally look the other way while every rule in the pandemic playbook is violated. Ya, it means more crowds more min wage hours for the workers there taking that risk, especially risky for those working inside.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the three southern PA resorts are anything like Jack Frost, there won't be a lot of risk as nobody will be inside. All the normal tables and chairs are gone, no one is allowed to hang out inside.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If the three southern PA resorts are anything like Jack Frost, there won't be a lot of risk as nobody will be inside. All the normal tables and chairs are gone, no one is allowed to hang out inside.

I can speak for the state of affairs at one of these resorts (the middle one) and the lodge is definitely different, though it's not impossible to hang out inside, if only for a short while. The restaurants are issuing timed reservations for indoor seating (though at reduced capacity, approximately 23-30 percent of normal). The indoor seasonal locker areas are open, though without any of the typical communal benches (some folk have stashed tiny camp chairs in their lockers, taking the chance that they won't get busted by resort staff).

But mostly people are sitting outside, and it works for the most part. Physical distancing is not always superb, and people tend to lower or doff their masks as long as they have some sort of food or drink in front of them, even if they aren't actively eating or drinking. It's not the best example.

And even some staff have been taken to task for not wearing their masks properly or for wearing inadequate facial coverings (e.g. thin, single-layer neck gaiters). It doesn't go unnoticed, and as resort management is made aware they are addressing the offending parties.

I can't speak as to how the eastern and western neighbors of the mountain I frequent are handling things, but I'm sure it's not perfect. No place, to everything I've seen, heard, and read, is doing things completely by the pandemic best practices playbook.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
My little Laurel Mountain allows indoor seating but tables are spaced and crowd sizes are limited to 50% capacity, same rules as restaurants throughout the state. This is no problem during the weekdays that I ski. Yesterday there were about a half-dozen people in the lodge when I booted up or had lunch. Most all skiers comply with the mask mandate except while eating. No alcohol service without ordering food. The only group that did not even bother wearing a mask at all is a group of about a dozen snowmobilers who rolled out of the bar while I was packing to leave.

Enough for the covid report. Here's the snow report for Laurel. Five inches overnight bringing the 5 day total to 16 inches with a solid icy base that survived the freeze/thaw cycles typical for the banana belt. The mountain is 100% open and in the best condition since Laurel reopened in 2017. Laurel has only about 50% snowmaking. All natural snow areas report powder and tracked powder. We know what happens when those types of condition go ungroomed and I doubt they will be groomed. Time for some bump lessons.

Last edited:

Ottoparts

Booting up
Skier
I was thinking about going to Blue Knob this weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on the current condition of the natural snow areas this far past the bigger snow? Their website says they are 100% open.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice pix. @dbostedo post any pix of his apparently current trip to Steamboat? :nono:
I have....

Would you like to see more, or wait for the trip report? :)

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
We got to CVR late morning this past Sunday with about 8" from overnight... that was an eye opener, what a fun little mountain. Best part was the longest lift line was about 30 seconds.

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
A few shots from this past Saturday at Appalachian Ski Mountain. Race coaching in the morning, great snow, lessons in the afternoon, head home.

i haven’t been anywhere else this season, but will get to Sugar or Beech, and I have my PSIA events at Massanutten the first three days of March.

Attachments

• 547369F6-8CAD-4AB5-845D-674448EF500F.jpeg
    547369F6-8CAD-4AB5-845D-674448EF500F.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 16
  • FA1351EE-9C1C-431D-8983-257D4C283573.jpeg
    FA1351EE-9C1C-431D-8983-257D4C283573.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 005117F5-A8A3-47D4-91F7-511A51E1DCA0.jpeg
    005117F5-A8A3-47D4-91F7-511A51E1DCA0.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 14
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe I'll be at Timberline on Friday... anyone want to meet up for some turns?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning to drive up (in the snow?) thursday & stay the night & do a day each at CVR & TM.
If you are doing TM on Friday, text me. I'll probably be with a buddy who's never been to TM. Should be fun.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I believe I'll be at Timberline on Friday... anyone want to meet up for some turns?

I'm considering Thursday-Friday, won't be able to make the decision until Wednesday. Too long a drive for a single day. Would be nice to get some runs before heading to Colorado next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.