• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2020-2021 Mid-Atlantic Resorts, Conditions, Weather, and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm considering Thursday-Friday, won't be able to make the decision until Wednesday. Too long a drive for a single day. Would be nice to get some runs before heading to Colorado next week.
Feel free to text me!

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
wintergreen Thursday and Friday. Forecasts are all over the place. Green coat pants and Volkl skis.

Last edited:

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
How many ski places have time shares? I see people who have timeshares at Massanutten can’t ski because tickets are sold out the time they will be there,

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How many ski places have time shares? I see people who have timeshares at Massanutten can’t ski because tickets are sold out the time they will be there,
The way Massanutten is working, those that own homes or have timeshares get first access to buy tickets. Owners (I believe that includes timeshare owners) get access 30 days out, renters get access 21 days out, then the general public 10 days out. This has been known all season and was well publicized to the owners, as I understand it. So yes, if you wait and a day sells out, you're out of luck.

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
The way Massanutten is working, those that own homes or have timeshares get first access to buy tickets. Owners (I believe that includes timeshare owners) get access 30 days out, renters get access 21 days out, then the general public 10 days out. This has been known all season and was well publicized to the owners, as I understand it. So yes, if you wait and a day sells out, you're out of luck.
Thank you db, some friends near DC got some info on a place to stay but they found out the person who posted the info in a local site is a timeshare owner who apparently needs to find other (suckers) to take their place when tickets are sold out,

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
NC mountains got mostly rain from this nationwide winter storm, but this morning Sugar refired their snowmakers, and it just started to snow! Gotta go check out what it's like out there, besides breezy and foggy.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
The thaw-rain-freeze that occurred yesterday and last night played havoc with the surface, which was very inconsistent today. Continued cold weather and snowmaking should put the surface back into better condition for skiing tomorrow.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
The thaw-rain-freeze that occurred yesterday and last night played havoc with the surface, which was very inconsistent today. Continued cold weather and snowmaking should put the surface back into better condition for skiing tomorrow.

I was hoping for something like this, as I am likely heading up for tomorrow. Was happy to see that it got cold today and the guns were back on, was worried tomorrow was going to be the refreeze.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Decent morning at Sugar today. Was quite crunchy first thing but softened up some in spots, dust on crust in other spots. Gunthers Way was great. Could have done a dozen more runs there but it got too crowded for my liking so I left at noon.
tempImage7U2GwW.jpg

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Decent morning at Sugar today. Was quite crunchy first thing but softened up some in spots, dust on crust in other spots. Gunthers Way was great. Could have done a dozen more runs there but it got too crowded for my liking so I left at noon.
View attachment 124813
I looked for you. The snow was too good for me to leave, so I stuck around until the crowd got fussy about their masks. Pretty sweet day!

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I looked for you. The snow was too good for me to leave, so I stuck around until the crowd got fussy about their masks. Pretty sweet day!

I looked for you also, just too many people and easy to miss. I was on the fence about leaving but just couldn't do the lift lines anymore. Yesterday was definitely the most mask mis/non use I've seen so far. Did see patrol reminding people every now and then.

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Once again, you picked the absolute best ski day of the week. Even though we didn't ski together, I'm glad to know you were there for some of that fun. The weather warmed some during the day, so I wound up skiing until 2:00. What a different story today: ice--not nice! I prayed to Ullr and am doing my snow dance, so maybe the precip will change later. It's certainly cold enough.

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
Once again, you picked the absolute best ski day of the week. Even though we didn't ski together, I'm glad to know you were there for some of that fun. The weather warmed some during the day, so I wound up skiing until 2:00. What a different story today: ice--not nice! I prayed to Ullr and am doing my snow dance, so maybe the precip will change later. It's certainly cold enough.
Thanks Mark, wish we could have run into each other. Hopefully I can get up there a few more times and we can get together, let's hope this weather doesn't do too much damage. I should be able to one or two days next week, it looks like it might be a warm week. I'll be in Utah the second week of March and Colorado the last week so these next two weeks may be my last times there (don't know if I can make it between).

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A few pics from Timberline yesterday.... It was foggy on the top half all day, and a little busy, but still a great time.... Met up with @Dean, @jimmy and Greta, and @CharlieM. We stayed out of the trees as the mixed precip earlier in the week made things kind of stiff/heavy... the bit of ungroomed we skied wasn't very good (IMO). There were a few folks skiing in the trees, but not many.

Timberline 021921 142 ACR Conv.jpg
Timberline 021921 157 ACR Conv.jpg
Timberline 021921 166 ACR Conv.jpg
Timberline 021921 168 ACR Conv.jpg
Timberline 021921 171 ACR Conv.jpg

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Massanutten has been good this year. Got out yesterday afternoon, bumps on a couple runs, even a few areas where the trees are skiable (which is unusual for Massanutten).

Last edited:

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
Pics from Massanutten yesterday. I was there for PSIA clinics this past Monday through Wednesday. I am working on my Advanced Educator cred.

First time to Massanutten, I love the layout. 15 *true* runs, decent pitch on the blues and blacks, and....bumps! We don't get bumps in NC, so I loved hitting those!

I have my next two Saturdays at App, and I am going to try to sneak in another day at Sugar or Beech.

Attachments

• 2021-03-03_12-45-20_441.jpeg
    2021-03-03_12-45-20_441.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 8
  • 2021-03-03_12-45-21_776.jpeg
    2021-03-03_12-45-21_776.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021-03-03_14-49-12_947.jpeg
    2021-03-03_14-49-12_947.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 2021-03-03_14-49-19_618.jpeg
    2021-03-03_14-49-19_618.jpeg