• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2020-2021 Mid-Atlantic Resorts, Conditions, Weather, and Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Financially committed to drag my bad back out of bed at 8am Sunday and head up to Appalachian. Ticket pick up time is noon and paid for so I'll be there unless something really bad happens LOL.

I may not ski very long. Back issues, not comfortable with crowds or maskholes. Only skied an hour and a half last time there when patrol stopped bugging people to pull them up while lines were pretty long.

I'll tag @Lady_Salina and @Old boot . The kid wanted to go but has to work Sunday. Weather looks good so I opted to commit to this weekend.

If anybody wants to lap the short track Sunday from a safe distance I'll be there noon to 2-3ish. Want to be back home by dinner time and it's a 3 hour drive.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pics from Massanutten yesterday. I was there for PSIA clinics this past Monday through Wednesday. I am working on my Advanced Educator cred.

First time to Massanutten, I love the layout. 15 *true* runs, decent pitch on the blues and blacks, and....bumps! We don't get bumps in NC, so I loved hitting those!

I have my next two Saturdays at App, and I am going to try to sneak in another day at Sugar or Beech.
M'nut is really nice when everything is open. Did they get Mak Attack open? Was that the bump run, or were their bumps on Diamond Jim or Para Dice (the black runs)?

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Great spring conditions at Laurel this past Tuesday at Laurel. It's more winterlike today but the next few days should be nice spring conditions. I'll be out harvesting corn on Monday. It's sugar season.

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
M'nut is really nice when everything is open. Did they get Mak Attack open? Was that the bump run, or were their bumps on Diamond Jim or Para Dice (the black runs)?

Yes, MakAttack was open, the upper portion was all bumps. They also had bumps on ParaDice. Everything was open, definitely making it a great setup for a PSIA clinic. Virtually nobody on the slopes, zero lift lines.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Financially committed to drag my bad back out of bed at 8am Sunday and head up to Appalachian. Ticket pick up time is noon and paid for so I'll be there unless something really bad happens LOL.

I may not ski very long. Back issues, not comfortable with crowds or maskholes. Only skied an hour and a half last time there when patrol stopped bugging people to pull them up while lines were pretty long.

I'll tag @Lady_Salina and @Old boot . The kid wanted to go but has to work Sunday. Weather looks good so I opted to commit to this weekend.

If anybody wants to lap the short track Sunday from a safe distance I'll be there noon to 2-3ish. Want to be back home by dinner time and it's a 3 hour drive.
Looks like all three of is will be there assuming tickets are available. I already have mine reserved. Cannucks will try to get theirs tonight when they finish work today. I'll be the best looking skier there in the fastest red boots LOL. PugSki sticker on helmet and skis.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, MakAttack was open, the upper portion was all bumps. They also had bumps on ParaDice. Everything was open, definitely making it a great setup for a PSIA clinic. Virtually nobody on the slopes, zero lift lines.

M'nut has been skiing really well this season. The natural snow they have gotten plus the lack of a mid-season thaw have really helped. Yesterday in addition to the bump runs skiing nicely, conditions in general were really good. As a change of pace the shelf on skier's right of Paradice was skiable, for those who like to pop some air back onto the trail.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
@Laurel Hill Crazie ... what are the prospects for Laurel Mountain weathering the next few days (highs in the 60s, possible rain) and even making it to the weekend? Now that PA has relaxed covid border controls, I feel a need to jump state for some spring skiing.

1615258269520.png

1615259111197.png

1615259001321.png

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
@MarkP, my guess is Ski Top. Tame Cat, Wildcat, Broadway, and Deer Path will be open and in good shape. Innsbruck is iffy. It gets the most sun exposure. I doubt that any natural snow trails will survive though Laurel Run might. I'll be there for at least one of those days, maybe Sunday to close the place.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I skied at Liberty this past Sunday. The overall experience was Meh to Negative. The snow conditions average at best. Days started out with chunky sugar on top of ice. I know the weather hasn't been great for them, so I give them a pass. It did soften some in the afternoon.

The front side lifts were really crowded and I have never seen longer lines for rentals. It wrapped around the rental building all the way to the "grassy" area where the ice rink normally is. I can't imagine how long that line took people to get their gear.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7143.jpg

They are not running the J-Bar and I heard they haven't run it all this year. All it does is add more people in line for the lift leading to the backside. And speaking of lifts. Cue management and Covid Management were pretty much nonexistent. All they cared about was scanning your pass, you were on your own to navigate the merge after. Too many times, I had people go when they needed to wait their turn. People were too close and lots of people did not have masks. The only time I saw someone say something was when a patroller in line called out a person in the line next to them. It was still packed at 3:30.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_714b.jpg

I spent a couple of hours skiing the crusty bumps on the backside to avoid the crowds.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7146.jpg

Overall, my first Vail experience of the year did not even come close to comparing to skiing Timberline, Canaan, and Wisp this year.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting...I've done all my skiing (a whole 5 times) this year at Jack Frost, another Vail resort. The attendants have been very good about good about getting people to mask up. But I only ski mid-week, I wouldn't go to any ski area on a weekend

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Benjamin tried to recruit y'all, huh? :) I was teaching there on Saturday. It was busy in the ski school but lift lines were manageable. (I teach on Saturdays at App).
We also skied with Robert for an hour or so. Lana helped teach my kids ten years ago. Heard she had a baby and took a break from teaching this season. Good for her, sweet lady!

It's so much like the layout of the little MN place Buck Hill I skied through high school. You could swap trail maps and it wouldn't matter. I have no issues skiing a small hill most of the time.

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
I skied at Liberty this past Sunday. The overall experience was Meh to Negative. The snow conditions average at best. Days started out with chunky sugar on top of ice. I know the weather hasn't been great for them, so I give them a pass. It did soften some in the afternoon.

The front side lifts were really crowded and I have never seen longer lines for rentals. It wrapped around the rental building all the way to the "grassy" area where the ice rink normally is. I can't imagine how long that line took people to get their gear.

View attachment 127138

They are not running the J-Bar and I heard they haven't run it all this year. All it does is add more people in line for the lift leading to the backside. And speaking of lifts. Cue management and Covid Management were pretty much nonexistent. All they cared about was scanning your pass, you were on your own to navigate the merge after. Too many times, I had people go when they needed to wait their turn. People were too close and lots of people did not have masks. The only time I saw someone say something was when a patroller in line called out a person in the line next to them. It was still packed at 3:30.

View attachment 127139

I spent a couple of hours skiing the crusty bumps on the backside to avoid the crowds.

View attachment 127140

Overall, my first Vail experience of the year did not even come close to comparing to skiing Timberline, Canaan, and Wisp this year.
Amazing the hoops people will jump through to “get a great deal” ie Epic pass

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm pretty serious about stumping the collectoive here to make some kind of mini North Kakalaki gathering happen... perhaps President's I mean MLK Day weekend Sunday and/or Monday next season. I'd definitely drive up for a half day of skiing and seriously consider chipping in on somthing walk to or slopeside for a couple days of fun.

Keith Moon

Booting up
Skier
Got back yesterday from a full week at Snowshoe. My quads were about to fall off toward the end but it was great. It was cool to not have to worry about lift lines for most of the week and my 11-yo daughter skied Lower Shays for the first time. Looks like probably the end of our season but it could have been a disaster with COVID so I'm very happy with how things turned out for us.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was thinking about hitting Whitetail on Friday since I haven't been there yet this season (due to PA restrictions) and I think it's their last weekend. But it look like rain might keep me inside... In any case, I was looking at the webcams, and I will say that they ar being pretty aggressive about keeping runs open, on little snow...

The run in the upper left in this pic is Homerun, and is open, according to the website. I'm surprised. In prior years, I think they'd have closed that one.

1615910641937.png

Status
Not open for further replies.