• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2020/2021 PNW news, weather, conditions, stoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With all the attention on CO, it’s time to start a PNW thread.

Stevens won’t open until Dec 4th. It remains to be seen when Baker and Crystal will open, but Crystal reports 20” at the base and 15” in the last 24 hours. The forecast is looking good, with temperatures staying low enough for snow, and precipitation forecast to be daily for the week, though there could be some rain after that.

NOAA forecast:
Veterans Day
Mostly sunny, with a high near 26. Wind chill values between 15 and 20. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable in the morning.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 21. Wind chill values between 12 and 17. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the evening.
Thursday
Snow, mainly after 4pm. High near 28. Wind chill values between 11 and 16. South wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow before 8pm, then snow showers between 8pm and 2am, then snow after 2am. Low around 24. Wind chill values between 13 and 18. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 29. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 7 to 12 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 25. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Saturday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.
Sunday
Snow likely, mainly after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28.
Sunday Night
Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 25.
Monday
Rain and snow likely. Snow level 5600 feet rising to 6400 feet in the afternoon. Cloudy, with a high near 31.
Monday Night
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 27.
Tuesday
A chance of rain and snow. Snow level 5900 feet lowering to 5200 feet in the afternoon . Cloudy, with a high near 31.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Got word this week that my Speed Bump (49* North) anticipates opening on Nov 21st. They added a bunch of snowmaking this season so it should work.
Also had this show up in the in-box this morning thought it was a pretty good video.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Got word this week that my Speed Bump (49* North) anticipates opening on Nov 21st. They added a bunch of snowmaking this season so it should work.
Also had this show up in the in-box this morning thought it was a pretty good video.
What's the low down on non locals dropping by? Yeah or Neah.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
What's the low down on non locals dropping by? Yeah or Neah.
Everything I have heard is that 49° North is cool with it. No reservations required at this point, but everything is open for change still. You must wear a mask at the base in lines or on the lift or you are going home. Without some help from Mother Nature the opening will be a 1900' vertical blue from top to bottom on chair 1, but it is skiing (that and the beginners lift is where they put the snow making this summer). The trees, for sure, won't be ready yet.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Everything I have heard is that 49° North is cool with it. No reservations required at this point, but everything is open for change still. You must wear a mask at the base in lines or on the lift or you are going home. Without some help from Mother Nature the opening will be a 1900' vertical blue from top to bottom on chair 1, but it is skiing (that and the beginners lift is where they put the snow making this summer). The trees, for sure, won't be ready yet.
Okiedokie Bob. Will hold off till the mt is fully open and check the situation. Figured on hitting Bluewood Anthony Lakes,ect. All the big time operations. Thanks for the local Intel.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bachelor 12.7(reservation parking)
Hoodoo 12.4(word on street)(1st come)

Last edited:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Our local (Portland OR) weatherman, Matt Zaffino is an avid skier. He's predicting a good winter. He thinks this and next week's storms will allow some Mt Hood areas to open by Thanksgiving -- which is rare.

I called Timberline yesterday to deal with some pass issues, and they told me that they need at least a 3 foot base before opening, and they're at about one foot. Given how big the storm this weekend could be, they said they could be open by Thanksgiving like you said!

I don't want to get my hopes up, but here's OpenSnow's forecasts as of this morning:

OpenSnow this morning.PNG

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I recently made my seven days worth of reservations at Stevens Pass. At first I was unable to do it. It kept telling me that I needed to buy a pass first. I already had bought one last March so I called Stevens at 206-812-4510 and with only a brief wait on hold, was able to talk to a real person. It turned out I had multiple accounts. A nice lady corrected that and I was able to logon and reserve my seven days.
This is a just a heads up for any of you Steven skiers in the same boat.

On another note man what a great looking forecast. Snow Snow Snow!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11

On Tuesday, November 10th, a Timberline Lodge Food and Beverage employee tested positive for Covid-19. The Clackamas County Public Health Department and the Oregon Health Authority have been contacted.

The employee’s last shift was Friday, November 6. They did not experience symptoms until the following day. We have a good understanding of possible location of exposure and other employees who were potentially exposed. Employees who were in prolonged contact with the staff member that tested positive with Covid-19 have been instructed to self-isolate and to consult a doctor about their potential exposure.

• Friday, November 6 - Timberline Food & Beverage employee worked a shift with no symptoms.
  • Saturday November 7 - Employee called in sick to work with flu-like symptoms.
  • Tuesday November 10 - Employee had a virtual appointment with a doctor. After the consultation with the doctor, employee received a Covid-19 test, which came back positive. Employee was instructed by doctor to quarantine for 10 days.
  • Tuesday November 10 - Employee notified manager of positive Covid test and manager notified HR.
  • Tuesday November 10 - Sanitation of the suspected areas was executed.
  • Wednesday November 11 - Employees potentially exposed to positive case notified and told to self-isolate and contact a doctor if they experience any Covid-19 symptoms.
  • As of Wednesday November 11, none of the employees exposed to the positive case has tested positive or exhibited any symptoms.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Game is on! Lookout Pass report today. Time to wax

Last Updated: 2020-11-13 22:24:30
New Snow
24 Hour - Summit
12"
New Snow
24 Hour - Base
8"
Current Weather
heavy-snow.png
Temperature
23°
New Snow - 48 Hour - Summit: 12"Current Snow Depth: 24"
New Snow - 48 Hour - Base: 8"Surface Condition: heavy powder
Trails Opened
12/35
Trails Groomed
Operating Lifts
Special Notes:
Pickup your Season Passes 8:30 am to 4 pm at Ski Lookout Pass this weekend or 7 Days a week thereafter 9a to 4p. Or on Nov. 14 you can get y
Upcoming Events:
OPEN Sat. - Lift Ticket Rates for: 11 am to 4 pm: Adults, College & Military $29 + tax, Youth ages 7-17 and All Seniors ages 62 + $24 + tax, Children 6 & under Free with adult ticket purchase.OPEN Sun. & Mon. - Lift Ticket Rates for: 9 am to 4 pm: Adults, College & Military $37 + tax, Youth ages 7-17 and All Seniors ages 62+ $29 + tax, Children 6 & under Free with adult ticket purchase.No Half Day rates or Packages available, No Lessons this weekend. No discounts available for pass holders from any other mountain.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s a couple of vids from Mt Baker yesterday. They were expecting 8 inches and got 30. After some more snow Sat/Sun, looks like some warming Mon/Tues, and back to snow Wednesday. Might be able to ski at Baker and/or Crystal by Thursday, 1 week before Thanksgiving.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Today, in an effort to reduce the spread of Covid and responsibly promote public health and safety, Gov. Brown announced a statewide two-week “freeze” order beginning November 18th. The “freeze” does NOT include ski areas. It is Timberline’s genuine intention to deliberately and responsibly offer much-needed relief through outdoor recreation and open for skiing and snowboarding on November 25th with reduced capacity, conditions permitting. Ski Area capacity will be managed through our new online reservation system, details to be released in the next 72 hours.

The new snow is great and we appreciate the excitement from our winter recreation community. But for now, the Timberline ski area is closed to skiing and snowboarding. The safety of our guests and employees is the #1 priority. Winter is rolling in and conditions will improve. We thank everyone for their understanding and patience. Pray for more snow.

From Timberline Lodge: https://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions#webcams

They got 12" overnight, base is 35", opening slated for Nov 25th

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker does not require reservations yet, but says they may if things get too crowded, they'll look at how things go and make a decision later. If they do require them in the future, season pass holders will get 51% of all reservations.

It's looking good for later next week. I put the snows and the box on the car. I'm ready.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Got my snows on Thursday, had to go back to the tire place to have the TPMS reprogrammed, which I guess they forgot to do on Thursday.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
not sure if I'll bother to put the rack and box on pretty sure most of my trips are going to be solo, the skis fit inside all our vehicles.
Even debating snows rare you actually need them on the Sea to Sky.
first Rocky trip in December now taking someone else vehicle

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'll be putting the snow tires and pod on the car Thanksgiving weekend. Areas are opening that weekend, but I don't want to be in the crowds and mess on or near opening day. I can wait a week after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.