• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2020/2021 PNW news, weather, conditions, stoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
No skiing for the next 2 days while Mt Hood gets about 6" of rain.... Mt Hood Meadows closed tomorrow due to expected high winds and rain. It looks like I might be able to ski on Thursday (my birthday), when temperatures return to below freezing.

That is, if the highway is not washed away.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Happy birthday young man. Thursday calls for Sunny & 38° in this neck of the woods.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
In my neck of the woods it's supposed to be sunny and 33 on Thursday. Wed night is supposed to be a few inches of snow and 26 degrees....

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Sounds like a good reset for the mountains. At least the crowds are gone till MLK.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
1 (1).jpeg

Had a fun day up at Crystal yesterday. Weather was variable, snow was variable, crowds were variable (lines mid-morning were pretty damn long), but overall it was fun day of skiing so I've got no complaints.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Was at Mission Sat and Sun.... man, I love that place! What a great local ski culture! Chair 2 is supposed to open on the 15th or 16th, but it seems like a bit of a stretch. Mission doesn't get as much snow as other places in the PNW, and there were places here and there off chairs 3 and 4 that needed more snow, but Johnson's skied as well and had as good coverage as I've ever experienced. Some of the hidden tree shots off 3 skied well too. Skied on the 21-22 Kore 93 on Sunday... a very fun ski! Can't say more just yet. :)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
At least most of the western Washington resorts like Baker, Steven's, Snoqualmie, and Crystal got a pretty healthy dose of heavy snow, up to 20 inches at the summits, before the heavy rain started falling. It looks like we weren't so lucky in Oregon, and our mountains have just gotten rain. Thankfully the mountains here in Oregon have pretty solid bases so they'll pull through, although I'm a bit worried about Skibowl, whose base depths were less than half that of Timberline or Meadows.

If I can get the time off work, I'm hoping to ski at Meadows on Thursday afternoon when it's warm for some spring-like skiing.

Depending on how much snow we get Tuesday night/Wednesday morning when it starts to get colder again, it looks like MLK weekend could have icy slopes unless it warms up. I have Crystal reservations for Sunday and Monday, but I'll probably cancel them. I'm OK braving Crystal holiday crowds if there's going to be great snow, otherwise I'm not interested.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
PSA! With our rotten conditions on the East side, stay in the Cascades for your own safety. Attached is a link to a number of our mountains, pretty scary stuff, judge for yourselves.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I got woken up last night by a deluge of rain on the roof of my ski chalet/RV. Fortunately I stay about 1000' below the Sun Peaks Village so the mountain got snow, about 10cm.

It was really foggy and as things warmed up we got a freezing rain mist. I got some pow turns and then had enough of the very low vis and having to stop every few hundred feet to clear the ice off goggles or try to do it mid turn without stopping. I quit at 11:30.

The snow was heavy but at least it didn't rain. One good thing about being at a mountain that doesn't get huge dumps, when it turns mild you don't get huge amounts of rain either. ogsmile

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Skiers on Holiday showed up around 1100 hrs. Carnage insueded. Some folks should just stay home and take a refresher course on Public awareness.
Crushing Snowflakes 1 turn at a time.
20210114_142728.jpg

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First day at Baker open after the storm. Rain gullies were everywhere. Only safe place to ski was where it was groomed, but there the snow was almost spring like. Also got to surf some bumps on Honkers -- the little corner on the run that gets baked in sun, everything else was bullet proof ice. Great first day out on my new FIS SL skis! (Lift operators where looking at me funny.)

b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg
b4.jpg
b5.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Silver Mountain has been shut down for a couple days due to the electrical systems being down from the storm.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was a busy day at Whistler

Attachments

• 20210114_115409.jpg
    20210114_115409.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210114_115331.jpg
    20210114_115331.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 28
Status