• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2020/2021 PNW news, weather, conditions, stoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
very nice shot of Shuksan but I can't like the look of those rain gullies,
at Whistler the base did increase above mid station but lots of frozen snow ruts and breakable crust off piste.

now expecting a cool dry spell to make it bullet proof.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
First day at Baker open after the storm. Rain gullies were everywhere. Only safe place to ski was where it was groomed, but there the snow was almost spring like. Also got to surf some bumps on Honkers -- the little corner on the run that gets baked in sun, everything else was bullet proof ice. Great first day out on my new FIS SL skis! (Lift operators where looking at me funny.)

Wow, those rain gullies look intense. Is the terrain in the first two pictures that you shared in-bounds?

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied at Meadows yesterday afternoon. Conditions were good considering the weather earlier in the week, with spring-like skiing in many places, although aspects that had been in the shade or wind-affected were icy. I even managed to find some tree runs that were decent. With the clear day the views of Hood and south towards Jefferson and the sisters were fantastic. Like everyone I'm hoping the temperatures start getting colder and we get some more snow.

IMG_4646.jpg
IMG_4662.jpg
IMG_4676.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Wow, those rain gullies look intense. Is the terrain in the first two pictures that you shared in-bounds?
I can answer that. No. The first one I'm not 100% sure where it is, but the second one is Mt. Hermann, which is right next to the upper, Heather Meadows area, but out of bounds. People do hike and ski this mountain, though. I don't think I've ever seen it like that. It made my mind up to find something else to do for a few days until it snows again.

Reactions: RJS

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
at Whistler the base did increase above mid station but lots of frozen snow ruts and breakable crust off piste.
Did the B.C. government change its restrictions recently? Last I had heard was that they were telling Vancouver skiers to ski the North Shore mountains only but not Whistler. Seemed kinda stupid to me as Vancouver skiers can easily day ski Whistler, stay outdoors and encounter zero Covid exposure.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

No, I wish. The steep in-bounds terrain looked the same; it was just in the shade. These shots we were riding up Chair 2 looking across at Mt Herman. I'd love for Baker to put a lift over there.

Do any Bakerites know if Baker has any expansion opportunities? Aside from the Arm and Hemispheres, the other area I'd love to have a lift is to the ridge opposite Salmon Creek from the bottom of Chair 8. It would open up some Westerly exposure, i.e. soft sun snow in December. Of course, this would put a lift into a national park. (RIP Hidden Valley)

Reactions: RJS

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think I've ever seen it like that. It made my mind up to find something else to do for a few days until it snows again.

I would have going again today if I could have. On trail it was probably the best spring conditions I've had in the middle of winter. Off trail is another story...

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler's still getting other Canadian visitors as well, quite a number of Provincial and out of Province clients still showing up.
What is evident though is the complete lack of international skiers which typically is Whistler's largest group.
Skiing the local more crowded north shore hills as opposed driving another 45 min to Whistler hasn't seemed any safer to me either.

If skiing becomes a problem source all BC ski hills are going to be shut down at same time.
That's not happened even with all the local outbreaks at a number of hills already.

yesterday didn't seem high risk to me.
left the house solo (later than I normally do) still got my exact parking spot at Creekside (my buddies arrived about 20 minutes later and parked in the empty spots beside me)
washrooms up one flight- staff checking at entry hand sanitizers in and out and numbers admitted restricted.
walked on to upload, load your own skis, personal gondolas and lifts all day.
plus with no others on chair no need to lower the restraining bar.
skied with a mask on all day even though no one else was in sight for most of the day.
reserved a lunch table at entry - sanitized hands- an isolated table was cleaned and ready - (doubt there were 50 people in lodge including staff ) all no contact.
ski to base, walk to car, drive home.

but we all justify our actions.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Do any Bakerites know if Baker has any expansion opportunities? Aside from the Arm and Hemispheres, the other area I'd love to have a lift is to the ridge opposite Salmon Creek from the bottom of Chair 8. It would open up some Westerly exposure, i.e. soft sun snow in December. Of course, this would put a lift into a national park. (RIP Hidden Valley)
You've got a National Park on one side and a National Wilderness on the other. The ski area was there before either one was designated, so it's grandfathered into the federal land. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Silver Mountain sent another email. Lifts closed Saturday due to electrical issues caused by the storm. Maybe Sunday.
Hi ho it is back to the speed bump I go. 1st world problem for sure.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Had a new assignment to coach young racers for 8 weeks. It was a blast skiing the whole mountain with these kiddos. After class I took them over to the Santiam Snolab where they got a tour on how skis & snowboards are made. The rain didn't dampen their fun.
20210115_142927.jpg
20210115_142941.jpg

Attachments

• 20210115_142944.jpg
    20210115_142944.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
Whistler's still getting other Canadian visitors as well, quite a number of Provincial and out of Province clients still showing up.
What is evident though is the complete lack of international skiers which typically is Whistler's largest group.
Enjoy it while you can! We'll be back next year. This is the first season in over 20 years I won't be skiing Whistler.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had a new assignment to coach young racers for 8 weeks. It was a blast skiing the whole mountain with these kiddos. After class I took them over to the Santiam Snolab where they got a tour on how skis & snowboards are made. The rain didn't dampen their fun.

Awesome, I bet they loved it!

That sounds like a nice assignment. It's astonishing how good some of these young racers are. I was an incredibly mediocre racer, but I didn't start doing it until almost high school. The kids that start younger get good so quickly.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can answer that. No. The first one I'm not 100% sure where it is, but the second one is Mt. Hermann, which is right next to the upper, Heather Meadows area, but out of bounds. People do hike and ski this mountain, though. I don't think I've ever seen it like that. It made my mind up to find something else to do for a few days until it snows again.

No, I wish. The steep in-bounds terrain looked the same; it was just in the shade. These shots we were riding up Chair 2 looking across at Mt Herman. I'd love for Baker to put a lift over there.

Thanks for the information! I remember the name Mt. Hermann from the hiking I did around Artist Point nine weeks ago, when there was barely any snow on the ground. I believe it's the mountain on the right in this picture:

DSC06178-Pano.jpg

This area is beyond beautiful. Baker is the mountain I'm looking forward to skiing most purely because of the views.

I took this the following morning. I hiked up to Artist Point for sunrise and then did the Chain Lakes Loop:

DSC06504-2.jpg

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens Last Night

I have been night skiing during the holidays to beat the crowds and the rain. Last night was pretty good. Easy drive both ways mostly on cruise control. Parked in the front row again. Off piste was challenging in some areas but I probably spent 50% of my time off the groomers. The lines were pretty much nonexistent except for the usual early line on Hogs. After 7 o'clock everything was just ski on. It snowed lightly a few times and there were some very small frozen ice pellets falling at times but it wasn't bad enough to affect the skiing. They must've had about about 1 inch of new sometime during the day. It was another enjoyable night.

P1050689.jpeg

P1050696.jpeg

P1050691.jpeg

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens today, Tuesday

Short report. Easy driving, light crowd, Nice sun, sometimes filtered, light a bit flat in the shade. Snow was firm to pretty icy. Some run edges and piles were good. Off piste was no fun. Back side never thawed.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker today. A lot like Stevens. Firm, but mostly edgeable. Groomer day. Light crowd. The mountains were out and beautiful. I'm too beat right now to pull out my pics, but maybe tomorrow.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Day 18 of the ski season at Mt Hood Meadows. Sunny.

Zero crowds. Zero. Eerily vacant on the runs and lifts compared to the holiday period.

There was a thick ice crust off of the groomed runs. You did not want to ski that. The grooming was perfect. It made for easy peasy turns. We need snow and it's supposed to come later this week.
A tree in the woods has a face on it -- in the bark.

0119211342b.jpg 0119211342a.jpg 0119211119b.jpg 0119211119.jpg 0119211047b_HDR.jpg 0119211024a.jpg 0119211005.jpg

Attachments

• 0119210929b.jpg
    0119210929b.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 3

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Bachelor 01.19.20/15°f & 10mph winds. After the traffic brushed the sugar off the groom to a marble polish it was nearly impossible to get any high edge angles. A light touch on the edges was all the smooth ice would tolerate. A ski pole tip wouldn't penetrate the surface and I thought I could ski. On a sad note, a young boy passed after incurring injuries on the Summit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online