• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC 2020/2021 PNW news, weather, conditions, stoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok last day @ the bachelor. Outrageous turn out with plenty of costumes and parties. I think there were more dogos than people.
View attachment 134961
Found a couple of deserted groomers and laid down some fun runs.
View attachment 134962
Always a good time doing 360 carves.
View attachment 134963
Going to miss skiing.
View attachment 134964
That looks like a great send off to your ski season.
:beercheer:

Probably my last day today at Crystal (unless they decide to keep Green Valley open for skiing). They opened the gondola at 9 for skiers and boarders as Saturday the lines were long at 10). No problems here at 9:30.
View attachment 135013

Looks a lot different than the last time I was here earlier in May. View attachment 135014

Riding over Bull Run some patches of snow. View attachment 135015

Fabulous view of Ranier all day. Adams was out as well as St Helens and Baker.
View attachment 135016 View attachment 135017

Still lots of snow, great spring skiing all day. View attachment 135018

Snorting Elk/Blazing Elk were great, it was a good idea to traverse skiers right the last 1/3 to avoid the dip and slow run out. View attachment 135019

Lunch was a gyro on deck chair. View attachment 135020
When it goes, it goes fast, :geek:

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
A handful of sites quote a 5:1 ratio of weight-on-back vs weight-on-feet regarding energy expended: a pound on your feet is equivalent to five pounds in your pack. This was just a test of that theory. 5:1 seems like a huge ratio, but if it is true it probably means we'd be better off with different skis for the up and the down.

Thing is though, with skis on your feet the ground is supporting a large percentage of the weight. I'm quite skeptical that adding a second pair of skis, even if they're super lightweight, is going to lead to energy savings.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Indeed. The season is over. I’m now in mourning.
This was one season that I am glad to see over. I got my second vaccine yesterday and a 2022 Aspen season pass a few weeks ago :yahoo: ; now counting the days.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since Crystal announced they were open again this weekend, I figured today was the best day, since it might rain Sat/Sun. The sun was out with a cloud cap over Rainier.

There was a lot less snow than just Monday, 4 days ago, when there was snow up the paved path off the gondola. You had to climb down the steps, or walk around in front of Tower 16 to get to a spot to click in.

You aren't kidding, they lost a *lot* of snow this week. I'd be shocked if they open again next weekend, but we'll see.

It looks like you got an absolutely beautiful day. I would have liked to be up there yesterday but couldn't make it.

Went up today and fortunately the weather cooperated. It never rained in Green Valley, and for a while it was actually snowing fairly hard. Looked like about 1/2" of new during the day from what I could tell. It was empty today, we skied straight onto the chair almost every single time. I think tomorrow's gonna be a little rough as it looks like things will freeze overnight.

1.jpeg

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another bonus weekend at Crystal:

SPRING BONUS WEEKEND
Enjoy the start of our summer season with more skiing and riding. Join us June 11-13 for another glorious nature inspired weekend in the snow. The Green Valley chair will be open for skiing and snowboarding from 9am to 3pm, terrain is limited to intermediate and advanced skiing and riding only. There are no lessons or rentals available, but stop by and check out the demo ski sale and new arrivals in Right Angle Sports in the base area.

For food and drinks we'll have the Summit House open with indoor and outdoor dining, and Tower 16 will offer grab-and-go and a full bar. Quicksilver Coffee and Fireside Cantina will also be open in the base area.

Is it typical for Crystal to open for late season bonus weekends when the snowpack permits it? This is pretty cool.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is it typical for Crystal to open for late season bonus weekends when the snowpack permits it? This is pretty cool.

I think it is now. This is the 3rd year Alterra has owned Crystal and they've done bonus weekends all 3 years. 2 years ago they reopened just for Memorial Day weekend, that was all the snowpack allowed that year. Last year once lockdown restrictions were lifted they reopened for 1 weekend in June. And then there's this year.

Under the old ownership, they tried staying open later once they installed the gondola back in 2010. However after two years of doing that, they stopped. There were a couple of bad winters that made it not very feasible, but after that they simply never stayed open late again and never commented on it publicly (despite lots of questions on facebook). My assumption was that it turned out not to be financially viable for them, but I don't know if that's the case.

So, this willingness to remain open is one very big plus for Alterra.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All well and good, but the coverage was thin in places and bony in others last Friday, so unless they got more snow than I think they did, or they moved around a lot of snow, I'm not sure about this weekend.

Though, Sunday is my birthday......

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Baker still has good coverage! Though not open yet, the road is clear to the visitor center turn off, and the road crews have run a bulldozer to the top so it's pretty easy to hike to Artist's Point. Recent snowfall left about 4" on top of suncups.

IMG_4997.jpeg
IMG_4999.jpeg
IMG_5002.jpeg
IMG_5001.jpeg

Reactions: RJS

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Beautiful final day up at Crystal yesterday. Even with a relatively cool week this week, they've lost a decent amount of snow since last weekend. Not surprised this is their final weekend. IMG_3102.jpeg

Green Valley is still holding up pretty well though, all things considered. You can't get onto the top half of Grubstake face anymore without hiking across some dirt, but people were doing it. The Snorting Elk side is closed now. IMG_3104.jpeg

Most of Green Valley is still doing pretty well though considering how late in the season it is and what a warm spring we had. It was an absolutely great day for the middle of June. IMG_3107.jpeg

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Outstanding afternoon skiing @Interglacier, Mt Rainier.
edit: Spring Interglacier melt out soon, so we have one more trip. Open tour with the others, since avy hazards are super low. PM if interested...

Last bit to the top of the Prow
8120AC97-A054-4820-A8EF-5B98C645A9FF.jpeg

Little Tahoma - past its prime for the best skiing
D4968681-F646-4BE2-B9BB-BD858E8ABF56.jpeg

4,000'+ vertical
968E3442-4223-4653-B8B2-A6B1F0AF90E6.jpeg

Last edited:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Skiing before the heatwave. During the high temperatures, snowmelt outflow was way to high with funky creek crossings, fragile snow bridges, and new glide cracking opening. The heat wave led to successive nights where the glaciers did not refreeze anywhere on Pacific NW volcanoes or at any elevation.

5783E33A-1F73-4398-A19D-D735F0D6071E.jpeg

Last edited:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I meant to post these pictures from summer hiking earlier, but better late than never.

Three weeks ago:

_JAK2994.jpg

Just over a week ago:

_JAK5504.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online