• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2020/2021 Poconos (and Greater Area) -- Conditions, Resorts, Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Greetings all! I guess I'll be the one to start up this season's Poconos and the greater area thread.
I figure since the calendar now reads December it's high time to get the chatter going. This should be a very interesting and memorable season, for better or for worse.

Obviously, this season will be way different than seasons of the past, but at the very least I hope we can see it through to completion. That would mean that people are making smart decisions and playing it safely, from resort owners/management down to the day-tripper level (and the general public as well, of course). The light at the end of this Lehigh Tunnel from Hell is getting larger, and that's something to feel good about for sure.

So how is everyone in the area feeling?
What's the word on the streets of your local hill?
What are your thoughts and plans for the season right now, before any of the areas have opened?

Here's a photo from Elk this morning, we got about 2" overnight into the morning hours. It won't last but it was a welcome sight to see, and definitely got the juices flowing. Guess it's time to tune up the gear!
RenderedImage.jpg

Last edited:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I seen the cam at Elk this morning and was surprised of how much snow they received. Also surprised they weren’t blowing yet. Me being about 30 miles north we got maybe 1/2 inch.
Don’t think I’ll be at Elk much this season seeing how they cut drastically back on night skiing. I’ll be heading north the Greek, evenings mostly.
It’s been warmer than normal fall for sure and my wood pile shows it. But we will be skiing soon enough, things generally don’t start up till Christmas Week.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Hey @Scrundy - good to hear from you man. Hope the offseason treated you as well as possible. My guess is that they open Elk on the 16th or 17th, we'll see.
I'll be up here more, so keep me posted. This year I may be able to swing a night session or two...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The earliest I've skied was at Blue the day after Thanksgiving a few years back. Work and life have kept me from visiting Killington for their early season. I'm hoping to get a few days in the Poconos before heading north after the New Year's.

I still enjoy following your Pocono adventure in these threads...

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I remember Camelback being open over Thanksgiving weekend around 5 years back or so.
Not the greatest conditions, granted, but the lifts were spinning and we were grinning.

Elk opened in early December last year, I think it was the 5th or 6th. I didn't hear the guns blowing this morning while walking the dogs though, unfortunately. The weather is looking favorable for snowmaking starting up here this weekend, fingers crossed...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember Camelback being open over Thanksgiving weekend around 5 years back or so.
Not the greatest conditions, granted, but the lifts were spinning and we were grinning.

Elk opened in early December last year, I think it was the 5th or 6th. I didn't hear the guns blowing this morning while walking the dogs though, unfortunately. The weather is looking favorable for snowmaking starting up here this weekend, fingers crossed...
That timing for Camelback sounds about the same for Blue.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

It may be closer to 10 years now. (2011 or 12 maybe) My son was a member of the ski team and I remember being up there in early to mid November for a preseason meeting and they were pounding the mountain and base area. They actually opened with about 1/3 of the mountain open and were almost fully open for Christmas (with bumps no less) That season on the back side ended warm and dry but I think they made 1st weekend of April.

Last year they got a good start too, unfortunately they blew a pump which really set them back. Of course the ending was far too soon.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
It may be closer to 10 years now. (2011 or 12 maybe) My son was a member of the ski team and I remember being up there in early to mid November for a preseason meeting and they were pounding the mountain and base area. They actually opened with about 1/3 of the mountain open and were almost fully open for Christmas (with bumps no less) That season on the back side ended warm and dry but I think they made 1st weekend of April.

Last year they got a good start too, unfortunately they blew a pump which really set them back. Of course the ending was far too soon.

Scarily you may be right- where does the time go?

Enjoralas

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Blue Mt has posted that they anticipate opening day this Friday

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking at the web cam it looks like they are trying to get snow on several routes down quickly. Can see snow on Tut, Hump and Asp on the west side and from the other view looks like snow on Oak Grove at least so I bet they are making the Glen area along with Sun Bowl (new lift, hotel) too. Like the aggressiveness.:golfclap:

They can light it up at times
IMG_3138.JPG

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Elk got started late Saturday/early yesterday and is still blowing right now. You've got to love that sound!
We are supposed to have a warm-up at the end of the week and into the weekend. Hopefully, that doesn't put a wrench into any plans...

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback is pushing it off till next weekend. I have heard that after a weekend warm up (and perhaps some rain) we get another shot of cold good snow making weather and they can fire away getting more terrain covered to help with the social distancing that's required. I'm ok with that. This isn't the year to get all upset because they are not trying to be the first open.

TS
Willyum215

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Camelback is pushing it off till next weekend. I have heard that after a weekend warm up (and perhaps some rain) we get another shot of cold good snow making weather and they can fire away getting more terrain covered to help with the social distancing that's required. I'm ok with that. This isn't the year to get all upset because they are not trying to be the first open.

Looks like Elk is doing the same. I'm OK with it as well.

Reactions: BC.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January