• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gore is shaping up. I went today, the new chair goes to top of the cloud and is slower than the North chair! It was very gray day but the snow covered trees were really beautiful. Chatimac opened- is a bump trail with some thin cover spots. Guns on Echo and they're trying to get Hulabaloo open and Burnt Ridge.

1609892100834.png

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The new chair is...um...controversial. I’d take the old one back, head banging and all.

dm

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like there was some COVID exposure with the Hunter Ski Patrol.... from their website:

"Hunter Mountain will remain closed tomorrow, Jan. 6. The safety of our employees and guests is our top priority and we will always ensure that we have sufficient safety personnel available for mountain operations prior to opening. Unfortunately, this morning at Hunter Mountain, a number of ski patrollers excluded out of work relating to COVID-19 which is impacting today and tomorrow’s operations. We are assessing our ability to operate for the rest of this week and will provide updates on our social media channels and website tomorrow. We again apologize to our guests for any inconvenience."

James

Out There
Instructor
Wth is this term, “excluded out of work”?
They could be in jail or half a dozen other things and fit that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wth is this term, “excluded out of work”?
They could be in jail or half a dozen other things and fit that.
Good question... I took that to mean they were exposed so unable to work, but may or may not have COVID. That's just my thinking though - the wording is weird and isn't clear.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gore was powder day today. 5-6" on top, snow squalls all day long made for some soft piles and refills on the edges. It was busy compared to Mon-Thurs.
View attachment 121757

View attachment 121758
It looks like it's finally shaping up in NYS. I was seriously considering a day trip to Plattekill today but the reality of spending more time driving than skiing and spending more on gas than a lift ticket, to ski in the Catskills made me remember why I gave up day trips. Now I'm trying to work out the logistics of a multi mountain 3(maybe 4) day trip in NY. The three mountains that I'm considering are Gore, Whiteface and maybe Plattekill. In the past Hunter would be in the mix but their typical s***show has been thrown into the Vail dumpster fire with predictable results so it's a hard pass, especially this season. Whiteface is the farthest away so I was initially thinking start there and work my way home but they also have the steepest terrain so since it will be my first time out this season I'll probably enjoy the terrain more after a day or so to get my ski legs so maybe Gore>Whiteface then Plattekill and/or Gore on my way home. The problem I keep running into is Plattekill seems to be pretty far out of the way so Gore>Whiteface>Gore or Whiteface x 2>Gore seem to be the best options if I don't extend to a 4th day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like it's finally shaping up in NYS. I was seriously considering a day trip to Plattekill today but the reality of spending more time driving than skiing and spending more on gas than a lift ticket, to ski in the Catskills made me remember why I gave up day trips. Now I'm trying to work out the logistics of a multi mountain 3(maybe 4) day trip in NY. The three mountains that I'm considering are Gore, Whiteface and maybe Plattekill. In the past Hunter would be in the mix but their typical s***show has been thrown into the Vail dumpster fire with predictable results so it's a hard pass, especially this season. Whiteface is the farthest away so I was initially thinking start there and work my way home but they also have the steepest terrain so since it will be my first time out this season I'll probably enjoy the terrain more after a day or so to get my ski legs so maybe Gore>Whiteface then Plattekill and/or Gore on my way home. The problem I keep running into is Plattekill seems to be pretty far out of the way so Gore>Whiteface>Gore or Whiteface x 2>Gore seem to be the best options if I don't extend to a 4th day.
According to Google maps, adding Plattekill adds about 1:43 to the total round trip drive time from Long Island. Is an extra 2 hours driving worth it to you to hit another place?

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends on what you value most - Plattekill will always be less crowded.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
According to Google maps, adding Plattekill adds about 1:43 to the total round trip drive time from Long Island. Is an extra 2 hours driving worth it to you to hit another place?
Unfortunately it adds to a long drive in one direction or the other. It's a 4 hour drive to/from Whiteface and almost a 3 hour drive from Gore. another 3 1/2- 4 hour drive home. I'd really have to stay the last night near Plattekill to make it worthwhile. I don't think any of my current skiing options are really worth it but I'm trying to make lemonade out of rotting lemons.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier

Could always hit a small hill like West Mt In Glens Falls. Then go to Gore it's about 1hr 15 min Gore to White Face.
Plattekill is off on narrow country roads. IMO it takes longer to get there than google suggests and not open midweek unless a powder day- then the roads get worse too.
If you can... I'd suggest start on a Sunday at smaller MT (west, royal, willard, oak,) then ski Monday Gore-then up to Whiteface- and then can blast back down the Northway to home. Pretty sure weekend tickets are sold out fri/sat/sun at Gore/WF

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most direct travel line:

ADK Ski Tour: West-Gore-Whiteface.....on way up..... or.....Whiteface-Gore-West on way home.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a update from the Finger Lakes region-Bristol is almost completely open with excellent "east coast" conditions on all slopes. FYI-they do require reservations and no booting up in the lodge. In case anyone wants more info:
www.bristolmountain.com

or post here or PM me.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Typical shitshow at Hunter today. Lines at 6 pack about 20 minutes. North and West side had no lines.

Two boneheads on a very closed Westway. If you zoom in on the right side about 1/3 of the way down. Ski patrol was at the bottom, just waiting. Going to be a long wait.

FYI, what looks like weeds growing out of the snow are actually at least 6 feet tall.

EDF9546C-8E1C-4B20-8D57-A8138F7ABE7C.JPEG

James

Out There
Instructor
Typical shitshow at Hunter today. Lines at 6 pack about 20 minutes. North and West side had no lines.

Two boneheads on a very closed Westway. If you zoom in on the right side about 1/3 of the way down. Ski patrol was at the bottom, just waiting. Going to be a long wait.

FYI, what looks like weeds growing out of the snow are actually at least 6 feet tall.

View attachment 122335
Why were 6ft weeds left growing on a trail? That’s a lot of snow to cover. Is that usual or part of the 2020/2021 slack off?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why were 6ft weeds left growing on a trail? That’s a lot of snow to cover. Is that usual or part of the 2020/2021 slack off?

Usual......Westway not open much anymore......only if big time natural snowfall....which we don’t really get anymore.

People do ski it au natural......especially the bottom part where u can come in from Claire’s woods....patrol never seemed to care before..?....probably waiting for them cuz they entered from the top/closed rope.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Usual......Westway not open much anymore......only if big time natural snowfall....which we don’t really get anymore.

People do ski it au natural......especially the bottom part where u can come in from Claire’s woods....patrol never seemed to care before..?....probably waiting for them cuz they entered from the top/closed rope.
More likely because Vail.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I forgot to mention. They weren't quite skiing it. More like standing and falling, followed by sitting on their asses and sliding for a bit. Then trying again. During the time of my lift ride they barely moved.

Reactions: BC.