• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
View attachment 140344

Google Earth image shows why Kirkwood is obviously naturally well protected from most wildfires due to large expanses of surrounding glaciated granite landscapes with very limited zones of dense trees. Also a reason wildfires despite frequent small lightning fires are not much a danger to much of the High Sierra we backpackers visit south of the Emigrant Basin Yosemite region. Note north facing Kirkwood itself is covered by volcanic geology with a mature sparse timberline forest. The orange arrow shows the one route a fire could take. The Caldor fire is off the image at lower left corner and moving off the the left of the map by winds that for what that's worth, are not forecast to change over the next week.
Great analysis. I also note that Kirkwood itself has easy access and a giant lake. I think in a worst case scenario, Kwood would stand a good fighting chance.

Current wind trends have it headed mol directly toward Sierra, which, fortunately, is twice as far away. And currently the spread is relatively slow.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great analysis. I also note that Kirkwood itself has easy access and a giant lake. I think in a worst case scenario, Kwood would stand a good fighting chance.

Current wind trends have it headed mol directly toward Sierra, which, fortunately, is twice as far away. And currently the spread is relatively slow.

I think the "good fighting chance" also has to deal with did enough people there pay for fire insurance, that would then hire people to come out to do some "fighting".

With the magnitude of so many fires and so little public resources to go around; i think there is an aspect of $$$$ and private firefighting (via insurance) plays a role and bootstraps.
I'm not on the ground so I don't know if this is true or i'm talking out of my ass, but they have time right now to muster and do protection work until public firefighters get assigned there.
So given the Vail pocketbooks, as well as the pocketbooks of the homeowners there in the village/condos, I'm not worried too much about the resorts

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Caldor fire has increased to 82k acres & evacuation warning has extended to Echo Summit. Lake wind advisory today with SW winds predicted to continue into next week. LTBMU (Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit) which used to be part of El Dorado National Forest is closing Sunday at midnight expected at least through Sept. 6th.
I don’t think Kirkwood is in much danger but Sierra may be.

I am in SLT & packing my car :( .

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In other news Mountain High has bought Dodge Ridge which will join the Powder Alliance. That means if you have a Season pass (usually requires ab unlimited pass) at Mountain High, China Peak, Dodge Ridge or Sierra-at-Tahoe in CA you get three free days (usually not including Saturdays or holidays) at the other CA ski areas and 10 other ski areas in Western US and Canada plus Kiroro in Japan. See powderalliance.com

Mountain High and Boreal both rank high for the most number of wrecks per # of visitors I’ve learned to avoid them.

But having Kiroro on the pass is intriguing. I’ve only ski it once, with Tony C&Liz and disliked the really flat runoffs. But phenomenal pow photos have consistently shown up online from there. My brother had a season pass at Kiroro ‘20-‘21 which included free onsen and priority parking privilege for about $450. He absolutely loved it as a snowboarder. So, I’m definitely interested in returning to Kiroro.

Do any of the Powder Alliance season pass run in this price range?

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My brother had a season pass at Kiroro ‘20-‘21 which included free onsen and priority parking privilege for about $450. He absolutely loved it as a snowboarder. So, I’m definitely interested in returning to Kiroro.

Do any of the Powder Alliance season pass run in this price range?
Sierra-at-Tahoe "Play Pass" with 12 blackouts days (when you probably wouldn't want to be there anyway) is currently $449 for adults (23-69). Full pass is $100 more. They may be a little less in Spring. See New Season Passes (sierraattahoe.com) Somebody else will have to look up Dodge and China Peak where I might ski a couple of days (especially if free), but don't have any interest in a pass.

Edit to add that Dodge Ridge passes through 10/31 are $449 for age 20-64 and $379 for age 65-81 and free for those 82+. They only have full passes listed online. I have friends and relatives with vacation homes below Dodge so I would most likely make it there if I had free days from a Sierra-at-Tahoe pass. But it would not be until the season after this one since I already have two passes.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Caldor fire has increased to 82k acres & evacuation warning has extended to Echo Summit. Lake wind advisory today with SW winds predicted to continue into next week. LTBMU (Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit) which used to be part of El Dorado National Forest is closing Sunday at midnight expected at least through Sept. 6th.
I don’t think Kirkwood is in much danger but Sierra may be.

I am in SLT & packing my car :( .
I’m sorry @4ster. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online