• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Reports across the Tahoe region of those not wearing masks around lift mazes is troubling, something I didn't expect. Same thing for those that choose to wear masks below their nose. Wondering if that is some youth bro culture thing? If the reports are actually about those skiing without a mask on slopes, then this is just misinformed visitors as policies read such is ok as long as one does not stop within 6 feet of others. Am wondering where those skiers live, what is their demographic especially age, and what do they have to say about choosing to not wearing masks even though signs and online information requires such. I don't have any social media accounts so someone here that does might pass on what people are saying? A regional newspaper ought send reporters up on some mountains slopes at lift mazes and ask some questions. The resorts also have strong reason to understand that else their business, local communities, and our precious ski season may be shut down.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Reports across the Tahoe region of those not wearing masks around lift mazes is troubling, something I didn't expect. Same thing for those that choose to wear masks below their nose. Wondering if that is some youth bro culture thing? If the reports are actually about those skiing without a mask on slopes, then this is just misinformed visitors as policies read such is ok as long as one does not stop within 6 feet of others. Am wondering where those skiers live, what is their demographic especially age, and what do they have to say about choosing to not wearing masks even though signs and online information requires such. I don't have any social media accounts so someone here that does might pass on what people are saying? A regional newspaper ought send reporters up on some mountains slopes at lift mazes and ask some questions. The resorts also have strong reason to understand that else their business, local communities, and our precious ski season may be shut down.
At Rose the only people I've seen getting spoken to by staff were three older (40s-50s) women and one older man who had it down off his nose. Rose staff has been very proactive in the lines; they actually walk out the length of the corral and keep an eye on things. Other than those few people everyone in the lines has been really good about masks, spacing, and general courtesy over the first four days of operations when I was there. From the in line discussions I've heard people are very aware that their season hinges on how well people follow the rules, whether they agree with them or not.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Rose the only people I've seen getting spoken to by staff were three older (40s-50s) women and one older man who had it down off his nose. Rose staff has been very proactive in the lines; they actually walk out the length of the corral and keep an eye on things. Other than those few people everyone in the lines has been really good about masks, spacing, and general courtesy over the first four days of operations when I was there. From the in line discussions I've heard people are very aware that their season hinges on how well people follow the rules, whether they agree with them or not.

I didn’t see any skiers at Heavenly without masks. And to their credit Heavenly staff were also all over people about pulling their masks up over their noses.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had to look for a 2nd time to figure out which chair this was as it did not look like Powderbowl or Canyon. On 2nd look I realized it's the line for downloading Gunbarrel, not something I've done very often, hopefully this at the end of the day.
I cringe whenever I see anyone leaning skis against their vehicle, and have warned friends about leaning them against mine. Sometimes even without a little wind or someone slamming a door, both skis and vehicle can end up with damage.
I cringed also

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i think dave if you take a drive to the other side of state line and down to Carson city and the 395 corridor, the answer will be apparent and you dont need reporters to explain.

dlinfiniti

Booting up
Skier
So I spent the first three days of the season at Northstar and the day at Heavenly today. It's interesting how differently the resorts are run despite being Vail. Some observations: Heavenly has more area and challenging terrain open but really most of the people are crowded around Powderbowl and Canyon Lifts. Lift lines seemed much longer in people and time at Heavenly. My guess is that Northstar actually lowered their max reservations to accommodate the decrease in terrain but Heavenly did not or less so. The lines at Heavenly also were a little chaotic. Most of Northstar's crowds are centered around Vista Lift. They have a lift attendent directing the queueing right before you get on which seemed to make things much more efficient and orderly. What people didn't seem to understand at Heavenly is that the solo line is supposed to seat two solo riders together. This wasn't really done consistently at Heavenly but at Northstar, the dude there basically told you to do that so the solo line despite being really long, moved rather rapidly. Northstar has much more park open so if you're into that, you should go there. Overall, mask compliance and enforcement seemed pretty good at both resorts with lift attendants patrolling the lines and telling people to get their masks up. I did not get to witness any fist fights over this at either resort sadly. No idea what the lodges look like as I did not step indoors at all at either place. Also, downriding gunbarrel is a kinda terrifying and unique experience and the climb uphill to the downriding platform is kinda awful, they should put a tbar or magic carpet there or something lol.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I was at Mammoth on Sunday. The lift ops did a great job communicating with the people in line. Apart from regular lifties, they had a couple additional at each chair walking up and down the line. they also had a box midway into the lines on which one of them would get on and use megaphone to make PSAs. They did tell people to cover their noses when ever they spotted someone with their mask down. They were very polite about it in all the situations I saw. Good job by Mammoth!

The other thing I noticed different from the Heavenly line pictures- Mammoth created roped lines (maze) that had gaps in between them. i.e. what could have been 5 parallel lines, was setup to be 3 lines with gaps between. Again, good social distancing being followed. I didn't see any mixing loading the chairs- only those who came together rode together. Although I did hear one guest ask a liftie if he could ride with someone from a different line and the liftie said sure if they are okay with it. They weren't and there was no mixining. Cant see why someone can not wait a few more seconds after already getting to the front of the line.

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Sierra is opening to the top too! Grandview Express will be spinning tomorrow.

Also, as previously announced, anyone with the 2019/20 season pass can use it at Sierra till Dec 20th. Does not help the repeat pass buyers like me (we got a pass renewal discount instead, that kept our price exactly the same as the previous season pass), but still a nice gesture from Sierra to make up for closing a month early. The did the same thing several years ago during the drought year that forced them to close with no snow in March.

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were back at Heavenly again today and I don’t know if it was me or the resort but things seemed a little better. They really were all over people in line — albeit politely — to pull up their masks. But the vast majority of people were doing it.

The lines moved relatively quickly. I did learn that they are letting two singles ride together on one chair as long as they sit on opposite ends.

It was a gorgeous day, especially to be at Heavenly, and the snow was nice up on Ridge Run. The kids loved it. We skied from 8:30-noon and avoided most of the crowd. Things can only get better as more of the resort opens up.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, this was my first time skiing my Vist Crossover IIs in Tahoe. These skis are the same dimensions as the Blossom White Outs (131-77-111) — I believe they even came out of the same factory in Italy — and they performed beautifully as to be expected. Since I was with my kids, this was my first time skiing them slowly and they lay down the same smooth and precise turns at 20mph that they do at 60mph. Absolutely nothing got in the way of those wide shovels. They were such a joy. A Ski Talk/Pugski purchase gone terribly right!

Attachments

• 2A76B9A8-FA21-4D28-8394-C115DEC84FBB.jpeg
    2A76B9A8-FA21-4D28-8394-C115DEC84FBB.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 8

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
BTW, this was my first time skiing my Vist Crossover IIs in Tahoe. These skis are the same dimensions as the Blossom White Outs (131-77-111) — I believe they even came out of the same factory in Italy — and they performed beautifully as to be expected. Since I was with my kids, this was my first time skiing them slowly and they lay down the same smooth and precise turns at 20mph that they do at 60mph. Absolutely nothing got in the way of those wide shovels. They were such a joy. A SkiTalk/Pugski purchase gone terribly right!
Do you use them for groomers only?

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you use them for groomers only?

So far, yes. I only have three days on them. First was in August on Timberline’s glacier where they absolutely excelled. The Vist 412 bindings and Speedlock plates were fantastic.

I just spent two days on them at Heavenly but very little was open and I was with my kids, limiting me to blues and greens. If these are anything like the White Outs, I am confident they will also do well off piste. And unless the season gets shut down, I will be back at North Star and Heavenly next month to test my theory and report back here.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Best day of the season at Squaw today!

Those who are afraid, pessimistic or greedily protective of their turf won't like this post. Because it was fantastic skiing today. Forget La Nina drought - the coverage was good and the entire mountain was white. Forget covid vectors - everyone kept their distance, wore masks appropriately and behaved. Forget WROD issues - there was untracked powder and off piste terrain. The only disturbing thing was that so few people showed up to enjoy the skiing. Too many people scared away by all the negative chatter?

Four inches of powder over a rock free base made for incredible conditions - by any measure and at any time of the season. Bluebird skies and weather that allowed the conditions to persist made for a perfect environment. Everybody from lifties to patrol to the other skiers seemed genuinely stoked to be there. The season is off to a great start! I can't remember a better day before Thanksgiving ever.

Tomorrow will bring firmer snow, more crowds and a sore body. But I plan to enjoy it to the fullest.

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Too many people scared away by all the negative chatter?
People will come Ray, people will definately come. Yesterday was a sodt opening for Squaw. No real pubication that they were opening, similar to what Mt. Rose did last Friday. You will start deeing longer lines pretty quick.
I will agree, on the most part people have been really good in the lift lines and on the hills, they want ot ski and slide and they know by wearing a mask this is the only way we will be able to do it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My apologies for hyping Squaw. I'm up early woken up by a raging windstorm. Yesterday's wonderful conditions might not last through this wind. It is a warm wind and they didn't make snow last night.

I'm glad I got yesterday. Embrace every opportunity.

Eric
Crazy windy here too...Online weather says 7 MPH wind... Hahahaha

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Best day of the season at Squaw today!

Those who are afraid, pessimistic or greedily protective of their turf won't like this post. Because it was fantastic skiing today. Forget La Nina drought - the coverage was good and the entire mountain was white. Forget covid vectors - everyone kept their distance, wore masks appropriately and behaved. Forget WROD issues - there was untracked powder and off piste terrain. The only disturbing thing was that so few people showed up to enjoy the skiing. Too many people scared away by all the negative chatter?

Four inches of powder over a rock free base made for incredible conditions - by any measure and at any time of the season. Bluebird skies and weather that allowed the conditions to persist made for a perfect environment. Everybody from lifties to patrol to the other skiers seemed genuinely stoked to be there. The season is off to a great start! I can't remember a better day before Thanksgiving ever.

Tomorrow will bring firmer snow, more crowds and a sore body. But I plan to enjoy it to the fullest.

Eric
Which lifts were running? I'm so jealous.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As previously mentioned, Mammoth was doing a good job controlling distancing and mask wearing. They had blue circles in the snow to indicate where you should stand. On Saturday they were making an effort to pair up 2 unrelated skiers. On Sunday, with longer lines, they were discouraging unrelated riders from going up together. I wonder if someone complained.

I was also told that every aspect of their operation is being heavily monitored by several different agencies. The message was that non-conformity could lead to shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor