• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Sierra snow conditions today- just like yesterday. Temps were cooler today, but actually felt warmer than Saturday. Not wind at all. Flurries started coming down around 1:45pm. Don't think there was any accumulation yet though.

Storm seems to not be faking is out this time. Still not waxing the wide skis. Don't want to jinx anything. :roflmao:

Meanwhile, it was another nice groomer day to inch closer to powder days.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Looking at forecasts now Monday morning, am expecting total snowfall by Friday will be under high estimates though hope Tahoe receives as much as forecast. The jetstream with heavy cold air in large storms often tends to dig further south than model forecasts predict, putting more of the storm down in n Baja. BA has in fact been on top of that possibility all along. Regardless whether 3 feet or 8 feet, our skiing season is not going to have any more significant terrain coverage issues. KW has a ton of steep avalanche terrain likely to take more time than normal to deal with as the base has that icy balmy big wind layer at the bottom.

Since the state is now today expected to loosen pandemic travel restrictions, I am hoping the 120 mile travel limit and SLT lodging for essentials only also gets officially lifted. SR88 at Carson Spur to Kirkwood is certain to close for days and suspect CalTrans may not even open Carson Pass till Friday. SAT and HV are likely the open choices to the south and expect East Bowl/Gunbarrel will be a prime objective with storm skiing SLT locals and with lower forecast snowfalls, they ought open lower Nevada lifts during much of the storm given less wind. This morning with the southern Sierra hit more than Tahoe, Dodge reported 10 inches and still snowing that was needed with the thin base.

https://www.dodgeridge.com/snow-report/web-cams/base-cam/

Their site updated the wind damage work that still seems confident about opening up for Thursday however am guessing Chair 8 on the backside with the most important terrain may not because wind knocked the lift cable off several towers and maybe there are state safety issues with getting that lift back up and running. If the storm pushes up from SoCal Wednesday night as forecast, Thursday may still be too stormy so will make that call or Friday on Wednesday. Three foot plus deep cold fresh light powder like this is rare so am very intent on experiencing it once again.

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am skiing 77 underfoot skis this season so I won’t be part of the stampede... unless you guys convince me a White Out can handle the pow LOL.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am skiing 77 underfoot skis this season so I won’t be part of the stampede... unless you guys convince me a White Out can handle the pow LOL.
Skinny skis skied a lot of pow over the years. Give it a shot!

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
This morning with the southern Sierra hit more than Tahoe, Dodge reported 10 inches and still snowing that was needed with the thin base.

https://www.dodgeridge.com/snow-report/web-cams/base-cam/

Their site updated the wind damage work that still seems confident about opening up for Thursday however am guessing Chair 8 on the backside with the most important terrain may not because wind knocked the lift cable off several towers and maybe there are state safety issues with getting that lift back up and running. If the storm pushes up from SoCal Wednesday night as forecast, Thursday may still be too stormy so will make that call or Friday on Wednesday. Three foot plus deep cold fresh light powder like this is rare so am very intent on experiencing it once again.
SSSdave, do you know the conditions at Dodge before this refresh? I was holding Dodge as a fall back location if I don't want to deal with the Tahoe drive. I went there a few years ago on a post storm day with good results. I know Dodge does struggles on low snow years....

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rose was zoomer groomers this AM. We will be there tomorrow for a few hours in the morning.

I had an eye out for you this morning but didn't see you. I must have been distracted by the pow. Welcome back.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Brace yoselves, yall gonna get it really good!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just drove up to Mt. Rose to buy a pair of mittens (25% off with pass). Mt. Rose Highway was better than 580 in south Reno. Did put my dually into 4x4 until the parking lot and that was just to be sure I wouldn't slide into anyone. Foggy, but the snow looked good.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
[QUOTE="oldfashoned, post: 568604, member: 598"]
SSSdave, do you know the conditions at Dodge before this refresh? I was holding Dodge as a fall back location if I don't want to deal with the Tahoe drive. I went there a few years ago on a post storm day with good results. I know Dodge does struggles on low snow years....
[/QUOTE]

DR is not a place to ski fresh powder unless storm snow levels are low as the coming storm is. Top/bottom a bit higher elevation than Homewood and a bit lower than Sugar Bowl. Before the storm it was thinner than Tahoe in places. Worth looking at their 2 webcams. Note the highway and spur road to the resort may be an unpleasant drive after fresh low snow levels where 4WD/AWD is important. Chair 8 is the lift on the topo north of mountain top 8145 with much north facing terrain.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Debating between north tahoe/I80 area, or sun valley to ski for Wednesday/Thursday.

Obviously the snow totals are absurdly huge for the Sierras, but I am almost worried it's toooooo much snow, restricting my ability to even get there. Would be flying into reno, renting a car, and driving.

Sun valley still will have good totals and I can drive there in a few hours making it much easier.

Are the Sierras more trouble than they are worth right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.