• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I skied Kirkwood today. They reported 7" new and it was deeper in some places. But chain control on CA-88 was at Jackson when I woke up before 4 AM, and 6 miles E of Jackson when I went through about 7:30, snow was very light so if there was something underneath it, you would easily find it. I did a lot of damage to my rock skis including finding a large, barely hidden volcanic rock on one of my first powder turns between Sentinel and Palisades. It does not look like any new core shots, but I had to remove a few stringers with a knife at lunch. 1069Skis@Lunch.JPG Skis look a lot worse now as I went to the Backside after lunch and found some barely covered rock patches getting to Thunder Saddle. They opened The Wall a little after 11 and chairs 2, 3 and 4 at some point. It snowed most of the day, but did not amount to anything. I have reservations for Northstar Tuesday and Heavenly Wednesday, but will probably flip-flop those to try to meet up with friends and catch more open lifts. The drive between SLT and Northstar on Wed could be a long one.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Given the big storms low snow levels, a wise choice can be storm skiing forgotten remote Homewood's less windy, forested, less flat light, lifts, where a well-clothed person in battle gear can pile up many many unmolested turns.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sadly I have to work most of this week (and if retail is an indicator, people are getting psyched about this storm), so I'm ok with waiting for things to settle a bit after this storm cycle. I'm just happy more terrain should be able to open, I really like Sherwood and Lakeview at Alpine and look forward to getting out there.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I skied Kirkwood today. They reported 7" new and it was deeper in some places. But chain control on CA-88 was at Jackson when I woke up before 4 AM, and 6 miles E of Jackson when I went through about 7:30, snow was very light so if there was something underneath it, you would easily find it. I did a lot of damage to my rock skis including finding a large, barely hidden volcanic rock on one of my first powder turns between Sentinel and Palisades. It does not look like any new core shots, but I had to remove a few stringers with a knife at lunch. View attachment 122166 Skis look a lot worse now as I went to the Backside after lunch and found some barely covered rock patches getting to Thunder Saddle. They opened The Wall a little after 11 and chairs 2, 3 and 4 at some point. It snowed most of the day, but did not amount to anything. I have reservations for Northstar Tuesday and Heavenly Wednesday, but will probably flip-flop those to try to meet up with friends and catch more open lifts. The drive between SLT and Northstar on Wed could be a long one.

Yikes! but that issue will be a thing of the past very very soon

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Yikes! but that issue will be a thing of the past very very soon
Not really as one of the worst core shots I remember was at the end of the week when Kirkwood had 10' of new snow and I found a piece of volcanic rock in the Palisades. If you stay on the groomed you should be OK, but if you are skiing the untracked you have to expect to find some rocks, even with good knowledge of the mountain. At least my rock hits yesterday never led to a fall and the base welds and edges appear to be holding.

I did change my reservations to Heavenly today and Northstar Wednesday, which should be an interesting drive. I actually had reservations for Northstar today and Kirkwood on Wed. So far I have not had any issues cancelling then making new reservation.

SSSdave

Skier
Yes indeed, this infidel does see it now and halelujah! am a true believer.

Note the upstream cyclone is forecast to be bumped north by the weak high between the systems. It will move into BC while our storm flows south stalling some, disconnecting some from the main northern jetstream being pushing eastward. This with subsequent storms could be a big greening event for Southwest deserts resulting in major wildflower blooms by late February into March.

Sat-NP-126-21.jpg

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sneaker morning at Sugar Bowl, complete with glowing fog. Surprisingly uncrowded, with excellent snow quality (top of the leader board for this season so far). The glowing fog was wonderful, actually making normally hard shadowed runs at 8:30 AM delightfully visible. All the upper groomed runs, skier's left off of Disney had perfect surface conditions for an old man on non-FIS SL skis.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Heavenly today was also a sleeper powder day. They only reported 4" new today and 1" yesterday, but it skied at least as deep as Kirkwood yesterday and I found way less rocks under the snow. I stayed in NV all day after meeting up with friend, who recently moved to Minden from San Jose, at Stagecoach base.

While we had to hike about two minutes to get this untracked, 1076JimPowder.JPG
1079JimPowder.JPG
there was a lot more on edges or in between runs that stayed good all day as it was cold enough that I wore boot gloves for first time in CA.

The wind was picking up and clouds were coming by the time I quit a little after 2. I found some good deep turns in my two runs down Milky Way Bowl and one run through gate 1 into Mott Canyon where I skied Bill's and sampled untracked on both sides of run towards bottom. This is below Rocky Point and it's a 50" pole. Below this was also a few great steep untracked turns. North Bowl was also good and lightly tracked at 1 pm.
1087MottPole.JPG
Will try to add more to report at Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Lake Tahoe Vail resorts, CA and some NV 1/25-2?/2021 (firsttracksonline.com) that I started this morning if I have time and energy. After going to Round Hill Safeway and stopping at two ski shops looking for reasonably priced storm googles as mine are getting old, I worked at cabin cutting up and splitting some pine that I and power company cut last Summer.

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
GOOD MORNING POWDERHOUNDS!
Mt. Rose will be open for skiing and snowboarding today. We received
18-22" of new snow overnight and are anticipating much more in the coming days.
Rose closed for the day due to blizzard conditions.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
GOOD MORNING POWDERHOUNDS!
Mt. Rose will be open for skiing and snowboarding today. We received
18-22" of new snow overnight and are anticipating much more in the coming days.

Rose closed for the day due to blizzard conditions.

Yeah, they had me going for a few minutes there. The home page and Powder Alert e-mail said "Open" and the conditions page said "Rose closed for the day due to blizzard conditions". And me with the driveway cleared and ready for the snowplow. I guess I would have had to clear it anyway....... Hasta manana.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, they had me going for a few minutes there. The home page and Powder Alert e-mail said "Open" and the conditions page said "Rose closed for the day due to blizzard conditions".
I noticed the lift status went from "Scheduled at 9" to "Closed".

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Both Squaw and Alpine have upper mountains on hold. Not surprising. Avy control probably.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

SSSdave

Skier
By now Wednesday morning, first round totals for the 2 stage storm for resorts has come in a bit low at about a foot as the front with precipitation was narrower than its broad cloud band. But what did fall has been colder drier lighter. Tahoe will be in a lull till early pm so Tony should do well. Lower NV side of HV will be the best resort place to storm ski today. The second round is supposed to be from late this afternoon through Thursday midnight. The Dodge site shows 24" at summit and 13" at base so 35" last few days, thus last week's thin base has already been adequately buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.