• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Chutes at Rose are legit & belong on any list.
Last I checked Mammoth Mountain is still in California. Phillipe’s, Huevos Grande & Hangman’s to name 3 that you wouldn’t want to cross your tips on.
Alpine has quite a few steeps as does Kirkwood. Motts & Killebrew at Heavenly have steeps.
Squaw has lots of short very steep runs & many long pretty steep runs. Just about everything off KT chair is steep, Headwall & lots of others throughout the area.
View attachment 125630

Things tend to ski, look & feel steeper when there is less snow, even more so when it is firm.
The Rose Chutes seem a bit unique in Tahoe. There is other stuff that is just as steep(certainly upper part of The Wall, lots of KT, Light Towers, etc) but the overall feel of the Rose Chutes seems to be to be more like Taos (tight, steep, shady, north facing, long, trees here and there) or some of the Gad 2 area at Snowbird. I could blink and swear I'm coming off the West Basin Ridge. However, I have never skied snow at Taos like we get here in Tahoe and the freeze thaw can make the Rose Chutes pretty hairy (as in, I feel like there is a significant change of serious injury or death). I've never done them in late spring but given the exposure I'm not sure if they really corn up or not. I HAVE feared for my life at Taos, just not off that part of the ridge. That would be Hunzie chute and dog-leg.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Rose Chutes seem a bit unique in Tahoe. There is other stuff that is just as steep(certainly upper part of The Wall, lots of KT, Light Towers, etc) but the overall feel of the Rose Chutes seems to be to be more like Taos (tight, steep, shady, north facing, long, trees here and there) or some of the Gad 2 area at Snowbird. I could blink and swear I'm coming off the West Basin Ridge. However, I have never skied snow at Taos like we get here in Tahoe and the freeze thaw can make the Rose Chutes pretty hairy (as in, I feel like there is a significant change of serious injury or death). I've never done them in late spring but given the exposure I'm not sure if they really corn up or not. I HAVE feared for my life at Taos, just not off that part of the ridge. That would be Hunzie chute and dog-leg.
Having done a failed run in the Chutes at Rose I can confirm there is a VERY significant chance of serious injury.:ogbiggrin: You tend to bounce a very long way before coming to a stop.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hopefully this is correct.. Silverado to start spinning tomorrow!! View attachment 125670
Despite my earlier comment that they needed another foot or two to build the Oregon trail, I was incorrect...they did PLAN to open today before the power outage (they confirmed on Twitter). Might need to take off work tomorrow. Silverado is interesting. Despite being lower elevation I've often found untouched snow in there can remain pretty good for a while. As long as the ice storm didn't do too much damage it might be brilliant. I do wonder how they will do COVID compliant liftlines at the bottom as there is not much room down there for a lift maze at all.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Despite my earlier comment that they needed another foot or two to build the Oregon trail, I was incorrect...they did PLAN to open today before the power outage (they confirmed on Twitter). Might need to take off work tomorrow. Silverado is interesting. Despite being lower elevation I've often found untouched snow in there can remain pretty good for a while. As long as the ice storm didn't do too much damage it might be brilliant. I do wonder how they will do COVID compliant liftlines at the bottom as there is not much room down there for a lift maze at all.
Silverado is great, it's a vast area of terrain that spreads people out even more too in this special season

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Power came back in a half hour.
Who pulled the plug?
The power was out from just after 9 AM until 9:53.
When we were at Squaw the projected time to get power back was 11:30 so we headed to Mt Rose. Having skied Squaw the past two days, and Alpine Meadows on Monday, then back to Rose today, Rose is skiing much better. Its colder and the snow is much more chalky

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The power was out from just after 9 AM until 9:53.
When we were at Squaw the projected time to get power back was 11:30 so we headed to Mt Rose. Having skied Squaw the past two days, and Alpine Meadows on Monday, then back to Rose today, Rose is skiing much better. Its colder and the snow is much more chalky

More elevation vs geography I bet, as Diamond Peak has been pretty bad. But then, this thread says Heavenly is better than Kirkwood. I suspect KW still hasn’t gotten past the ice event. Squaw did but then it got a little cooked....

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
" While we are thrilled to open this terrain, please note that operations will be different from previous seasons. Due to light snowpack, limited space at the bottom of the lift, and chairlifts running with reduced uphill capacity due to COVID protocols, please read these changes carefully before heading into the zone:

THERE MAY BE LIMITED ENTRY POINTS (GATES) AND QUEUING AT THOSE GATES

The maze area at the bottom of Silverado is relatively small compared to other chairlift loading zones at Squaw Valley. Silverado is triple chair, but will run with reduced uphill capacity (functioning more like a double chair) this season to comply with COVID protocols. In an effort to control crowds at the base of the lift on busier days, we may limit entry points (gates) into the zone. Ski patrol may also be positioned at the gates to limit the capacity of skiers and riders entering the zone. Please read and respect all signs and employee directives. Any violations to gate closures will result in individual loss of pass or ticket AND closure of the entire lift for everyone. "

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
" While we are thrilled to open this terrain, please note that operations will be different from previous seasons. Due to light snowpack, limited space at the bottom of the lift, and chairlifts running with reduced uphill capacity due to COVID protocols, please read these changes carefully before heading into the zone:

THERE MAY BE LIMITED ENTRY POINTS (GATES) AND QUEUING AT THOSE GATES

The maze area at the bottom of Silverado is relatively small compared to other chairlift loading zones at Squaw Valley. Silverado is triple chair, but will run with reduced uphill capacity (functioning more like a double chair) this season to comply with COVID protocols. In an effort to control crowds at the base of the lift on busier days, we may limit entry points (gates) into the zone. Ski patrol may also be positioned at the gates to limit the capacity of skiers and riders entering the zone. Please read and respect all signs and employee directives. Any violations to gate closures will result in individual loss of pass or ticket AND closure of the entire lift for everyone. "

This is completely understandable under current ski experiences.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Power came back in a half hour.
Who pulled the plug?

As Tricia said, it was closer to an hour ......
At Sugar Bowl they had all the lifts back up and running on generators within 10 minutes - I was pleased/impressed and complemented all the staff, the entire resort never really missed a beat. It actually seemed a little more challenging switching back to normal power - assuming some breakers had to be reset, etc.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
The season in Tahoe is doing fine, I'm glad there is a season at all. If you really wanted to ski in June, you should be going to southern hemisphere.
June is for summer activities, there are a LOT of summer activities to do other than skiing (and priced better too if you have to pay for lift tickets and renting/schlepping all your ski gear up). Skiing in June is going to be more of a novelty.
If you didn't get your skiing during core season, that's on you!

How about we want to ski more?? I too am being wishful and just minutes ago booked (refundable) flights to ski Mammoth in June- Hope it snows FEET in March. I've skied Mammoth in June and End of July for top to bottom skiing-
Nope, It wasn't a novelty- it made summer so much easier to take. I will go every year it's open, that's what skiers do, ski as long as possible.

@Keith Moon Go for it- (or to Bachelor or Mt Hood)
The Mammoth side trips are great- big trees, devils post pile, cool hikes, fishing, biking, if the back door to Yosemite is open it's unforgettable. Fly into Reno- 3hrs down to Mammoth. (Mt Hood has some cool side trips too- I haven't been to Bachelor yet)

Photo was July 22 2017 20228772_10211505224977704_1585669834379199480_n.jpg

June 2, 2019: 1614303591892.png

May 31, 2019- It was FANTASTIC SKIING>... 1614304739200.png

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
July 4th at Squaw, 2019. It can happen!
20190704_101528.jpg

20190704_101522.jpg

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not for the Tahoe thread, but on the subject of summer skiing I was at Timberline (Mt. Hood, Oregon) ripping down the glacier at 60+mph on August 26th last year. Maybe 15 minutes down from me people were hiking in shorts. Truly awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor