• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2020-2021 Tahoe Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Got up to silvy just in time for the rope drop. Some pretty good turns with a few pretty gnarly patches of windfuct/bulletproof strewn about. Definitely didn’t suck!! The cat track at the bottom is a bunch of fun little whoop-de-doops due to the low coverage.

Gotta give it up to mountain ops and patrol..
Jimmy king is an OG!
59D75A26-DA33-43D5-BBCC-EAE0DA4F9453.jpeg B4D9BB0E-C6D6-43D0-8B72-7BC2281E9939.jpeg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Power came back in a half hour.
Who pulled the plug?
Yes, they actually got lifts running quicker than that. I was on Sibo early before public opening to set a course on Motts/Racers. I was circling back round just to do a look through and was 50 yards from the top of Sibo when it went off..:(. I knew from the radio traffic it was resort wide so was resigned to being there for a while but they got the lift spinning again after 15 minutes on auxiliary. Pretty much everything was back to normal within 30 minutes - apart of course from Silverado which spun for a minute before the power went out...

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Rose Chutes seem a bit unique in Tahoe. There is other stuff that is just as steep(certainly upper part of The Wall, lots of KT, Light Towers, etc) but the overall feel of the Rose Chutes seems to be to be more like Taos (tight, steep, shady, north facing, long, trees here and there) or some of the Gad 2 area at Snowbird. I could blink and swear I'm coming off the West Basin Ridge. However, I have never skied snow at Taos like we get here in Tahoe and the freeze thaw can make the Rose Chutes pretty hairy (as in, I feel like there is a significant change of serious injury or death). I've never done them in late spring but given the exposure I'm not sure if they really corn up or not. I HAVE feared for my life at Taos, just not off that part of the ridge. That would be Hunzie chute and dog-leg.
The chutes have great corn in the spring and can be skied after the resort closes, sometimes with a car shuttle.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rose Thursday started out sunny, looking like it would warm up and give us some softened up snow. But then a chill wind came up. First they closed the Chutes due to firm conditions most likely. It never got popular. Then the whole Slide side closed. Then NW. Nothing out there I'd call corn. Everything has progressively firmed up, but much remains chalky, as Tricia said. A few wind polished spots appearing on the groomers. But then there's some refrozen stuff in the trees that gets interesting.

I'll be back at Rose Friday starting about noon if anyone wants to say hi.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Yeah you are at home thinking how there hasn't been any new good snow in awhile and is that worth driving hours to ski? Or open the fridge and order a pizza?

For any other Tahoe skiers that are wondering what conditions are now after a wet and ice storm topping almost 2 week ago and then some balmy and breezy days and some freeze thaw? Go back to sleep? No..go skiing. Does this mean if you do a Tahoe trip the next few days that you will be chasing around your mountain for warmed and softened up firm areas during a day? Not at all if you understand how much higher elevations on northerly exposures can for make for significantly better packed powder snow surface conditions through dry periods sometimes. As long as one takes lifts above 8.5k..., especially up above 9k, go now.

The big dump on the Sierra Nevada for 2021 was January 27 thru February 3. The last decent refresh storm was Feb 9/10 however that included an ice storm topping that more affected west to crest resorts. Skiing was great with skier track packed powder the following week days at Heavenly at the 8.5k+ elevations with northerly exposures and was still surprisingly good the last 2 days, 2/24>25...go now but stay high. The woods are your friend to for all mountain. Many skier tracked lanes beside Little Dipper on both sides, esp Aries Woods. Yeah right now ski KW, HV, MR, MM.

After not skiing since last Thursday, my first run down Little Dipper on Wednesday about 11am, after fiddling with my gear on the brink quite a while, skier's left next to the whitebark pines, went all the way from the tower 13 (t13.0) road cut just down to t11.8 with confident no problemo turns and stopped to take some photos since light was excellent at that time. Then skied impressively with in a sense relaxed though fast left right rebounding turns, almost all on edges in the soft packed powder surfaces all the way to t10.2 where I pulled up. Skitracks showed 9 runs down LD Wednesday then 11 Thursday so a lot more exercise than if I'd stayed home and ran around the block. Many locals joining in each mid day for the exhilarating fun. Shapely softness and beauty with clouds to match 2/25/21:

Tower11-upl-2-25-21.jpg

From lift just below tower 10. I usually ski down to somewhere between tower 10 and 11 then take a relaxing break 2 or 3 times as long as avg others. As a retired senior one learns given pleasant weather, there is no need to rush a day ogsmile when you never ski to the bell anyway and tomorrow is always Saturday...again.
Tower10-upsb-2-25-21.jpg

The below are bumps I shot from just off lower frame right in the above photo. Funny how they always look so different more skiable from above... sorta bigger ...:ogbiggrin:.

Tower10-ups-2-25-21.jpg
If you know what your different snow qualities look like from what you see alone, the above has a look of loose dry cold snow, something good indeed.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also found the conditions to be quite nice (at Alpine Meadows). Skied yesterday and today. Last few runs today on Outer Limits, off Lakeview, one of my favorite cruiser runs. Snow was just starting to soften and was like sugar. Wolverine Bowl had some great chalky snow, and Sunspot (especially the top before crossing the traverse) had wind buff and was skiing great. I'm very glad I went. Need to make up for lost time!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
stoke so skiers don't go to sleep
From high up on 49ER Thursday 2/25/21,
hand held ELPH190 4 column stitch blend downsized to 3000 from 9000 pixels,
snow-ohhh...Tamarack Lodge, Lake Tahoe.

LakeTahoe_TamL_2-25-21y.jpg

WU at Kingsbury 7.4k shows next Tues>Thu 3/2>4, low 20Fs lows mid 40F highs wind <5mph. So will most definitely get in 2 or 3 days while overnighting cheap in Stateline zone.

Last edited:

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
What is the best Tahoe area resort for kids lesson?

The kid specifically is a 5 year old with a few limited hours of private one on one lessons, but still close to the never ever stage. Lessons would be limited to Saturdays because of work and school (such is this stage of life).

I have a job interview in Reno that could have us moving out there this summer.

Moderator: feel free to move this to another thread if needed. This just seems to be the Tahoe thread in general

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We liked Squalpine classes, especially for their kid to instructor ratio at that age. We put our DD in classes at both resorts, and had good reports when she was 5, 6.

The kid specifically is a 5 year old with a few limited hours of private one on one lessons, but still close to the never ever stage. Lessons would be limited to Saturdays because of work and school (such is this stage of life).

Moderator: feel free to move this to another thread if needed. This just seems to be the Tahoe thread in general

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An tweak on what you can look into instead of multiple booked lessons is a child program (at that age is basically a commitment to N weeks of group lessons). If your child is a little nervous about skills/technique you can also pay out or pocket for extra lessons in early season before program starts.

You maybe counting your chickens before they hatch, as your final location /commute, and what 2022 programs look like may dictate your choices.
Additionally your own requirements about pricing/costs and perhaps even which culture/market each resort caters to, and where do You want to ski, maybe factors needed to define what is your definition of "best".
I think program for that age in these modern times requires guardian be onsite during the session but you may need to check.

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We’ve had several good experiences with Heavenly ski school.

Here I am with the kids today at North Star. It was cold, a little windy up top, but sunny and beautiful. The bad was it was CROWDED. I know they say they are limiting people but this was as bad as I remember it pre-pandemic.

Regardless, a ski day with kids is a good day.

15EE798B-C39B-4D49-87D8-7137D7E78F53.jpeg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier

I always recommend Boreal for beginners. Their school is great and much less expensive than most of the others. Great family vibe. Once they get to level 4 or so, you'll want to move on. Especially if you are skiing too. There are some hidden gems there, but it is a small mountain and you will get bored quickly.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sky Tavern is very popular - about half of the Adult skiers from Reno who ski at Mt. Rose learned to ski at Sky Tavern https://www.skytavern.org/ . You can't beat the price or the sense of community. Rosebuds at Mt. Rose is also a good program. Full disclosure - I work in the adult ski school at Mt. Rose. Those are the 2 areas closest to most of Reno but Northstar is almost as close from northwest Reno.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was kiddie day at Mt. Rose. Much fun seen to be had by all and a minimum of crying. One young lady over her head and stuck in a tree, but her instructor successfully extracted her.

For the first time in a while, it warmed a bit, just a bit, nothing crazy, and the surface softened just about all over. Central Pacific and the front side bump runs were in fine condition. No really serious moguls developing anywhere on the mountain, as the snow pack is quite dense to depth. Some slick spots on the steep entries to some of those runs, as well as on some of the Slide side groomers, and of course the tourists had trouble with that, , but it was just enough to keep the rest of us on our toes.

Will the chalkiness persist with cold dry overnights, or will we start to see corn snow formation?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you're considering a Double Down pass at Mt. Rose (finish this season, all next season) you can save a few more $$ by skiing on a buddy pass for one day (you'll need a buddy with a current Rose pass). If you take your day buddy pass to the Customer Service on the SAME day, they give you full day pass price towards your choice of season pass. Essentially you save about $75.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great day yesterday with @Mendieta at squaw. Firm conditions but we made the best of it and had a great time. Top notch good guy and showed me around the mountain and some great turns. Thanks again @Mendieta Hit Kirkwood for some XC this morning. Heading to Homewood or Sierra tomorrow before Heavenly on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor